Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-18, 02:57 PM  
donnamp

Jeannine - I have had sedation before, but not full on anesthesia. I didn't really like the feeling of "losing time" if that makes sense. I also don't handle pain meds very well. So, that is what makes me nervous about the sedation.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:01 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Thanks!

Lannette - I was hoping you would chime in b/c I remember you being an endoscopy nurse. Thanks for sharing!! From what I read, there aren't a lot of nerve endings in your colon - so I would think the worst parts would be insertion and then going around "corners"

Carly -thanks, I am leaning towards going for the colonoscopy to be on the safe side, while the at home test may provide some information, I almost feel like I would rather have the full blown test to be safe, especially since I haven't had it before and could possibly have polyps that I'm unaware of!

Jeannine - I would probably likely be out like a light, too - I am very sensitive to that sort of thing, and that is one reason why I would like to avoid it. Perhaps I can ask for a "light" dose?

Thanks for sharing!!

Donna
You’re welcome! I went in with a driver in case I needed sedation because of pain. All I had to do is ask and they would have given me something. It was a nice compromise in case it was more than I wanted to handle.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:04 PM  
Lannette

Oh and if the take home test is for occult blood that test isn’t nearly as foolproof as endoscopy. I’ve seen a patient with a huge tumor who had a negative occult blood test. He was however symptomatic.

There is a DNA based test that’s supposed to be much more accurate and that may be what you are all referring to.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:06 PM  
mandie123

The lovely colonoscopy.Had one 12 years ago and would rather have a spinal tap!!!!!I woke up during and felt like there was a machine in my abdomen tried to kick the Dr,total panic,than they knocked me completly out for the remainder of the test.I'am way over due for another one,so I will have one this year BUT,only if they put me to sleep!Maybe I have a low pain threshold? I was told it could have been my colon is curved in a certain way,but it was the worse test I've ever had,and I've had almost all of them.I do have diverticulitis,and alot of pain with it,so that is why I'am doing it now.My ex just had one last month and they found a tumor(which he ended up having to have surgery to remove)
Old 02-23-18, 03:07 PM  
donnamp

Lannette, that is what I read on-line - that they set up the IV for sedation just in case. If decide to try w/out sedation I would like that option. You just never know how you will react to something and everyone's experience is going to be different and even your experience will probably change from day to day. Even if I decide to try w/out sedation, I would have my DH drive me just in case I changed my mind.

I think if they would let me listen to a book I'd be fine, LOL! I don't really want to watch it.

I had heard about the DNA test, but I wonder if that gives any information about polyps or just likelihood of cancer - sort of like an HPV screening for cervical cancer risk?

Oh Mandie that sounds awful!!! is your ex doing ok now?

Donna
Old 02-23-18, 03:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

correct me if i am wrong, but i recall vaguely that before the procedure, i agreed to the doctor excising any polyps DURING the procedure if deemed necessary. in my case, they didn't find any, but they mentioned small hemorrhoids (sorry tmi) leftover from having given birth years ago that i already knew about. doc thought the hemorrhoids looked non-threatening.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:11 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
correct me if i am wrong, but i recall vaguely that before the procedure, i agreed to the doctor excising any polyps DURING the procedure if deemed necessary. in my case, they didn't find any, but they mentioned small hemorrhoids (sorry tmi) leftover from having given birth years ago that i already knew about. doc thought the hemorrhoids looked non-threatening.
from what I understand, if they find polyps during the exam they remove them.

Donna
Old 02-23-18, 03:15 PM  
donnamp

wow, this has really turned into a "Fun Friday Thread"!
Old 02-23-18, 03:16 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Just wanted to comment about colonoscopy preps. My mom (now 72) has been due for her 2nd coloscopy for many, many years but was avoiding it because the flavor (and quantities) of the prep stuff she had to drink was so dreadful before her first colonscopy.

However, in the past year her brother in Utah had a colonscopy and another brother who lives about an hour away from us in Illinois had a colonoscopy and both had really easy preps using over the counter stuff (miralax and dulcolax) and drinking reasonable quantities of gatorade or crystal light.

So my mom scheduled a colonoscopy with her doctor here in the Chicago suburbs. But the doctor's office gave her the same old prescription for trilyte, which is the prep stuff she was dreading. So she talked to her dr's office about the prep that my uncles had but the nurse only offered her the alternative of suprep, but when my mom looked up reviews of suprep, the reviews said it wasn't much better than trilyte.

Long story short, my mom has decided to still do the colonoscopy but is going to follow the protocol my uncles did. I'm not sure why some doctor's offices use different prep protocols and if one is actually superior.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 03:16 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
from what I understand, if they find polyps during the exam they remove them.

Donna
ok - i guess my memory is better than i thought! obviously another point in favor of having the full deal.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer, colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep, diverticulitis, medical tests, polyps