Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-17, 05:08 PM  
nevertoolate

Activity, ROM limitations after hip replacement?

Despite all my efforts at rest, rehab, and strengthening, it looks like a total hip replacement is in my future. My biggest concern is what activity and range of motion limitations I might have after I've completely recovered. I walk, hike, strength train, and do videos with Jessica Smith, Margaret Richard, Leslie, KCM, Classical Stretch, and various barre and yoga instructors, etc. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to do yoga in the same way. I've been an intermediate-level yoga practitioner for decades and the thought of being severely limited in my yoga practice makes me anxious and very sad.

Can anyone share their experience after hip replacement surgery? What are your activity and ROM limitations after you completely recovered? I know there are restrictions initially, like no hip flexion greater than 90 degrees (no child's pose?!) and don't cross the knee past midline of the body (no twists?!), but what about after, when you're all well and done with your PT? I've already given up running, do I have to give up yoga, too?

I appreciate any input from those who have gone through this. Thanks.

Yours in fitness and health.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-17, 05:19 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

For starters, it really depends on what "style" of surgery your doctor performs (entering from the front, side, front-side, back). I'm not up on the latest or the names of the surgery styles. All I know is that my doctor performed the "anterior" approach and I have absolutely no limitations on what I can do. Crossing knees, bending past 90 degrees is just fine with this type of approach. I had my surgery 6 1/2 years ago, I think.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 12:44 PM  
nevertoolate

Thanks, Lexy. I'm glad you had a good outcome. I looked up the pros and cons of each method. I'll talk to my surgeon about this, but from the looks of it, I may not be a good candidate for the anterior approach.

I hope someone can chime in with their experience after healing from the posterior approach.

Thanks.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 05:24 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I hope more people chime in. I know several people here have had hip replacement.

Surgeons tend to do one type of hip replacement, their favorite. I don't know what the cons are of the anterior method but my hip was so bad that they couldn't straighten my leg under anesthesia (eventually they forced it) and was told I'd be learning how to walk again after so many years of being bent over and limping.

And surgery procedures have been updated since my surgery 6 years ago so there are even better outcomes. How did I find my surgeon? I asked every nurse I ran into, asked other physicians, and even asked at the hospitals over a 6 month period. The same guys name kept coming up.

I wish you well and hope you get more replies!
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 10:55 PM  
BunnyHop

A friend of mine had hip replacement surgery not so very long ago, and was motivated in her physical therapy, and she's managed to do very well. Once her initial recovery was done she worked with her physical therapist so that she could build her strength and stamina for a 5k walk. She thinks she was probably the slowest one there, but she did it, and is quite proud and pleased that she achieved that goal. Having done it, she plans not to do those any more, but is still quite an active person.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Tags
hip replacement, hip surgery, joint replacement