Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-16, 03:18 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
... I had no idea I was stirring up hard feelings of any kind....
I don't see any hard feelings Just polite, gentle input as far as I can tell. I had several PMs from VFers who mentioned they were hesitant to post, but they were all of the kind/concerned nature. I think most of us are grateful for Karen's gifts and have greatly appreciated her fitness offerings over the years.
Old 06-14-16, 03:34 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I don't see any hard feelings Just polite, gentle input as far as I can tell. I had several PMs from VFers who mentioned they were hesitant to post, but they were all of the kind/concerned nature. I think most of us are grateful for Karen's gifts and have greatly appreciated her fitness offerings over the years.
i understand. I just intended to share it as something positve and am embarressed. I'm sorry.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-16, 03:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
i understand. I just intended to share it as something positve and am embarressed. I'm sorry.
No need to apologize.

I think we have all noticed "changes" in some of our beloved instructors. I remember being surprised at some changes that Debbie Seibers had. Cathe has really changed over the years.

It is frustrating when an instructor represents that eating well and doing their workouts is all you need to be healthy, fit and attractive. And then, for whatever reasons, they have those "changes" done. I find it disappointing. Yet, obviously they have the same insecurities as do we all.

I still do everyone's workouts anyway.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-16, 04:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

It is frustrating when an instructor represents that eating well and doing their workouts is all you need to be healthy, fit and attractive. And then, for whatever reasons, they have those "changes" done. I find it disappointing. Yet, obviously they have the same insecurities as do we all.
Yes, I feel the same.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-16, 04:13 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
No need to apologize.
x2. Really--there's no way you can ever predict how discussion will go after you post a topic. And at any rate, I think it has all been handled gently by those who responded.

I get what Alta is saying about representation, but mostly I just miss faces when they "go away". I attach good memories to an individual's face and all its special ways of expressing. I have a lot of good memories working out with Karen and her impish smile. Age doesn't change the features or expressions the way that surgery/technology does. It's almost like individuality gets washed away in favor of "taut". I wish our culture was more supportive in treasuring individuality over superficiality/uniformity. I hope that someday we can look back on it all as a barbaric passing that couldn't go away fast enough.
Old 06-14-16, 04:43 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
x2. Really--there's no way you can ever predict how discussion will go after you post a topic. And at any rate, I think it has all been handled gently by those who responded.

I get what Alta is saying about representation, but mostly I just miss faces when they "go away". I attach good memories to an individual's face and all its special ways of expressing. I have a lot of good memories working out with Karen and her impish smile. Age doesn't change the features or expressions the way that surgery/technology does. It's almost like individuality gets washed away in favor of "taut". I wish our culture was more supportive in treasuring individuality over superficiality/uniformity. I hope that someday we can look back on it all as a barbaric passing that couldn't go away fast enough.
I agree

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-16, 07:00 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Thanks for posting this - I enjoyed listening to it. And, this morning I did Karen's Burn & Firm Circuit Workout. Her style is so unique -- she makes everything feel very elegant. I also love the way she is creative in her low impact aerobics. I wish she would make more workouts!!

I do understand what everyone is saying about "enhancements". I mean, I see the ravages of time on myself and I don't love it - but, it is what it is, a natural part of life - and really, we should be happy that we get to age. Many people don't. (I will remind myself of that next time I see those "comma" lines around my mouth and the "freckles" that don't go away on my hands and arms~ )

I hope this isn't taboo, but didn't Karen start having "work" done early on - I know she looked very different in her "vintage" Energy Sprint workouts to some of the ones she did in the later '90's.

I guess it is individual choice - but I do find it somewhat sad that people feel the pressure to change their outward appearance to meet some sort of unrealistic ideal. I mean, Karen looked fine on the interview, but she doesn't look like she is in her '20's or '30's either.

Sorry - I'm rambling! But, thank you for sharing and I am glad I worked out w/ Karen this morning. I may be pulling out more of her workouts in the near future~

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-16, 07:42 AM  
Indy

I liked seeing Karen. I haven't done her workouts in quite awhile - it made me want to pull them out again.

I found the interview though, off putting and agree that it was an amateur attempt. The interviewer kept moving her monitor and had a smile plastered on her face the entire time. I felt as if I couldn't relax and listen to what was being said as I watched her smile.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-16, 09:26 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

In my opinion, anyone who is a fitness instructor in LA, especially to female celebrities, can't show signs of aging without a major loss in income. As I said earlier, LA is the most appearance-oriented place on the planet. It might be regrettable, but I think instructors who alter their appearance do so for business reasons more so than for any personal feelings of inadequacy.

Recently I was struck by a post right here on VF in which someone wrote that a noted older instructor's physique was not "inspiring". So even here, instructors are not able to show any signs of aging, at least to some people. I hope it doesn't go against guidelines to point this out.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-16, 09:33 AM  
donnamp

That is a good point, Betsy. I imagine it is harder to sell your workouts and your services if you start showing you are "human" (and prone to *gasp* aging!) -
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ballet bodysculpt, instructors appearance, karen voight, peer pressure, plastic surgery