Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-15, 06:18 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Did the last Hammer workout today, Iso Speed Hammer. It's short - minus warmup and cooldown, under 20 minutes - and moves quickly. I was surprised that the Hammer rotation called for this (weights) workout after yesterday's heavy weights of Total Body Hammer, but they are complementary. ISH requires moderate weights to keep up with the pace, so it's a good lactic-acid flusher for the chest, back and leg muscles which were worked yesterday, and there's a bit of triceps and biceps work since those smaller muscles weren't specifically targeted in TBH. You do 10 slow reps of an exercise, pausing three times, then 10 fast-paced reps; then onto the next exercise.

I will take a stretch or cardio day tomorrow and not even look at a dumbbell, but this was a nice workout after heavy weights.

On to Chisel (and ICE)!
Old 12-18-15, 01:51 PM  
lorajc

Looks like I'll turn Hammer Power into a kettlebell workout!!! That's the only way I can comfortably do presses and cleans with my neck issues....and I'd probably keep it on the lighter side ....thanks for that review Allison
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 10:44 AM  
Daphne M

Thanks for the detailed breakdowns on these workouts, momofcha and athompson. My husband bought me the basic Hammer and Chisel set for Christmas and I really need the guidance and descriptions you all have posted. I'm trying to work my way through all my new ICE workouts before I start H&C, but this helps me know what to expect. I'm thrilled that the workout lengths are shorter! I do cardio almost every day and like strength workouts that are 30-45 minutes max -- these sound perfect.

Alison -- I'm curious to know if you are following one of the rotations or do you just prefer Sagi and the Hammer approach so strongly that you're ignoring the Chisel workouts so far? My thinking is that I won't follow any of the rotations exactly, but I will use them for general guidance while I get familiar with how each workout complements the others.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 11:14 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Alison -- I'm curious to know if you are following one of the rotations or do you just prefer Sagi and the Hammer approach so strongly that you're ignoring the Chisel workouts so far?
I did follow the all-Hammer rotation but just for one week, to do all the workouts and get a feel for them. I do prefer Sagi and Hammer/heavier weights and was ignoring Chisel because I was toying with making up a hybrid Beast-Hammer rotation.

Having done the basic set Hammers now (plus I did the 15 Min Leg Hammer from the deluxe set), I'm more curious to try the Chisels. Overall the Hammers are not as heavy as Beast and have more cardio built in; they're more "metabolic" due to shorter rests. I think adding in Chisels would be great for fat loss. My body responds well to circuits/metabolic/aerobic weight training, even though it's not my favorite workout style.

Quote:
My thinking is that I won't follow any of the rotations exactly, but I will use them for general guidance while I get familiar with how each workout complements the others.
This is where I think Beachbody fell down on the job a bit, by not giving us a better guide that explains how the workouts complement each other. The guide is 95% nutrition; I'd like a little more information about "this was our goal, these were our ideas, here's how doing speed work followed by power work [or whatever]helps your body."
Old 12-29-15, 12:00 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I'm very happy with this purchase. As of now I like all the workouts I have done. Probably all the hammers and a few chisels. Today I did Balance and I actually liked it a lot. She is chatty but she had excellent form pointers/reminders. I don't use their rotation, I have way too many new exciting DVDs to use now.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-15, 04:14 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - Yes at least a mention of how long each workout lasts would have been nice and even nicer would be a short description of what kind of lifting or cardio it includes. Instead I got a big photo of a bunch of plastic containers. Your Hammer write-ups make it sound pretty good. No pressure but I'll be looking for your Chisel impressions soon too! I know what you mean about responding well to metabolic/circuits even though it's not necessarily your preferred style. I'm not sure yet whether I'll prefer hammering or chiseling, but I'm eager to give them both a whirl. I generally prefer fewer reps with heavier weights to doing lots of reps with lighter weights, but neither Hammer nor Chisel seem to fall cleanly into either of those categories. Guess I get to find out for myself.

Macska - I don't mind chatty as long as it feels genuine and not dumb. Of course dumb is in the eye/ear of the beholder I guess. I have way too many new exciting DVDs too! #dvdiotproblems! ETA -- Woo just saw your marathon PR of 3:40! You are a speedster! Plus you have beautiful arms!

If all goes well I'll start trying out the H &C workouts on New Years Day. Yee haw.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 10:40 AM  
Rhonda

I broke down and bought the set. Should have it tomorrow. I am also doing Cathe ICE. Will have to figure out a rotation or do what I feel like doing
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 10:52 AM  
adrien_73

I am still wavering on whether to buy...
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 11:12 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:

Macska - I don't mind chatty as long as it feels genuine and not dumb. Of course dumb is in the eye/ear of the beholder I guess. I have way too many new exciting DVDs too! #dvdiotproblems! ETA -- Woo just saw your marathon PR of 3:40! You are a speedster! Plus you have beautiful arms!

If all goes well I'll start trying out the H &C workouts on New Years Day. Yee haw.
You are so sweet!!!! That was a while ago but I worked very hard for that. Nowadays I'm a lot slower.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 11:12 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Alison - Yes at least a mention of how long each workout lasts would have been nice and even nicer would be a short description of what kind of lifting or cardio it includes.
Some lovely VFer posted this link (for coaches?) in one of the earlier Hammer and Chisel threads. It has the workout times.

https://faq.beachbody.com/app/answer...se-%26-deluxe)

Momofcha posted upthread about 15 Min Leg Hammer with the exercise breakdown, and here are my impressions. It's short (under 20 minutes including warmup and cooldown/stretch) and is good for an add-on workout. Sagi and crew do the whole thing with an 8# medicine ball, and one backgrounder subs one 8# dumbbell. It's compound moves and the format for each exercise is 20 seconds slow reps, 20 seconds of medium-speed reps and 20 seconds doing reps as fast as you can. Sagi is a horrible counter with no sense of tempo at all, so I did the 20 seconds slow at a 4-4 count and the remaining 40 seconds at 2-2. You'll get a nice light sweat going; like most of the other Hammers, there is little rest between exercises so there's a cardio effect. Because it's short and not overly hard, this would be good to pair with floorwork, or to work out the lactic acid after a heavy legs day. You could make it harder with a heavier med ball/dumbbell, but there is a decent amount of shoulder work in the moves (lifting the ball/bell overhead, pressing in front in a chest press, holding at one shoulder) so you probably don't want to go superheavy.

Tags
21 day fix, beach body, body beast, hammer and chisel, hammer and chisel reviews, sagi kalev