Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-14, 07:22 AM  
Kellie

Does anyone but me feel the emphasis on "pelvic floor contracting" just a bit, well, creepy? It was almost like "get this movement down and your life will be changed." I understand the importance of doing kegel work, but just not in a group exercise setting! It's almost comical the way they concentrate so hard when they do them. In one video (forget which one) they emphasize the "power" of the movement by clinching their fists and pulling slightly back with their arms on the squeeze motion, as if the arm movement will force a deeper contraction in the pelvic region. Hilarious!!

Great workouts though...
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:34 AM  
dnna

no not "creepy" at all. At the time these were filmed,women did did not have access to information like they do now ( think no or very few home computers) anna teaching women this move was revolutionary and helped so many women have a better life. believe me, she took criticism for it,and ridicule. She also published some of the heartfelt letters of gratitude from women who learned this move and were helped immensely.
the clenching of the hand is a visual cue to help women access the contraction through a visual, and has nothing to do with helping for a deeper contraction,
anna included this move in all ( or most) of her videos and in her classes. She was a real pioneer in helping women learn about their bodies and how to achieve their best body.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:35 AM  
PhyllisG

I think the arm movement was just to demonstrate movement otherwise you will not see what they are doing. I don't think it was meant to intensify the contraction. At least that was how I always interpreted it.
Donna we were posting at the same time. I agree.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:47 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I think the arm movement was just to demonstrate movement otherwise you will not see what they are doing. I don't think it was meant to intensify the contraction. At least that was how I always interpreted it.
Donna we were posting at the same time. I agree.
Yep, completely agree with you both. It was a good way to demonstrate the movement.

Of course there are things in the workouts that are dated. Everything is dated at some point.... but that doesn't reduce the effectiveness of these workouts at all. I don't even think about any of the things that seem odd now... I just get involved in doing them and sweating. A lot!
Old 04-30-14, 07:54 AM  
LoveVA

You guys have me really looking forward to getting some of these. Here is what I'm thinking now:

Vol 1
Vol 2
Super Cardio
Tough Tape 1

Not too sure about:

Vol 3 & 4

I did some research on the Parts workouts. However, my guess is that I'll like what I see (I have watched tons of clips and read almost every VF review on the above workouts). Then I'll want the whole workout anyway.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 09:51 AM  
bonbon

My Faves are #2 and 6. I also have a love/hate relationship with #3. This workout never gets easy and leaves me dripping in a pool of sweat! I like #1, but it's never been a love fest for me as it is for many others.
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 12:13 PM  
jessicavi

Ok, so I was inspired by this thread to pull out my Vol. 1 on VHS this morning. I had the perfect storm of both my grown kids (the youngest wasn't born yet when I started the FIRM) and my husband walk into the room while I was doing this workout. My middle son was like "OMG, I remember you doing that workout on Saturdays before breakfast when we were little." My daughter, the eldest remembers it too. My husband comments that I must be feeling retro today.

It it still pretty challenging. The floorwork was pretty hard as I don't even do that kind of work much anymore. Then, I watched Susan oohed and aawwed her way through the cool down with grinding her hips and looking all come thither at me . I thought it was a bit much back then but now I just feel dirty like I got my burn on like a real lunk. Oh how times have changed. It's still a great workout though. I only kept Vol. 1, 4, 6, Cardio Burn, and Maximum Body Shaping. They were my faves and I had a whole slew of them at one point, except the Prime Powers, which I thought just looked too, too, um, primal? I'll do the others over the next week. I'm looking forward to the Fossesque jazz hands and dork dance, not, in Vol. 4.. Kai made it look cool for sure but I stopped trying to do it years ago along with Susan's hip grinding finale. I have a lot more come thither to look forward to with Jayne in Vol. 6. She was oh soo glamorous and beautiful. She was hot, really hot. The camera loved her.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 01:40 PM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I love FF, but someone needs to edit that website in a big way. What you mentioned, plus misspellings galore among other things.
haha! I know! On some of their releases, the disclaimer says somthing about no "unauthorzied coping." It irritates me every time!
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:27 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

LoveVA I'm excited for you that you are considering going down this path. I think it has been the biggest influence on/of my fitness lifetime. Unlike others I am not a fan of Vol 1 as I came to it a bit too late and the workout already felt dated, jarring and too fast. I enjoyed all from Vol 2 onwards.
My best ever compliments from family and friends came from my almost only FIRM rotation.
I always return to the FIRM but with a large DVD collection I veer off into other directions from time to time.
Faves, Vol 2 Vol 3 Vol 4 Tough Tape, Supers, Crosstrainers, Maximum Body Shaping. Total Body Shaping.

From a modern context re: Cathe, Patrick, Michelle it may be hard to see The FIRM as tough. For example if I were to do a Cathe only rotation now, I would enjoy it to start but I would over time feel exhausted and dread would set in.
I could do a FIRM only rotation with no dread because of the constantly changing styles, moves, instructors, visuals, music and things to chuckle about. Having said that some of the workouts are tough. I am speaking with a 57 year old voice, exercising for over 30 years at mostly advanced level.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 06:25 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
Can you still use vhs? The tapes show up fairly regularly at thrift stores in my area for $1-2.
I picked up Vol 1 and 4 VHS unopened for a quarter each at a Habitat resale store. I started out with the Classics but currently my favorites are the Pinks!
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic firms, firm classics, the firm