Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-13, 08:37 AM  
workoutjunkie

Karen Voight helped my back!

Some of you may have read my post yesterday on how I tweaked my lower back doing Jessica Smith's Tummy Toners workout #1. I was in such pain yesterday, just sitting at my desk hurt. I was bummed because I didn't want to be sidelined with an injury.

Yesterday evening, I decided to do Karen Voight's Fully Body Stretch in hope of getting some relief. During the workout I could feel the tightness in my back and it was hard to do some of the stretches, but I worked through them carefully and slowly. Afterwards, I felt pretty good, took a nice hot shower and fixed some supper and sat down to eat and realized my back wasn't hurting anymore! (Just a wee bit, but sooo much better.)

For those that have been to a chiropractor, you know how when you get adjusted you can just feel it when your neck or back or whatever is put back in place? I always know immediately, you can just feel it. I was wondering if I'd get that from a stretch workout.

Well, I didn't get that during the stretch workout, no "aha!" moment during the stretches where something released and my low back suddenly felt better. It was just a gradual progression of releasing the tightness. I slept so much better and this morning I am sitting at my desk with hardly any pain. I am amazed and am convinced I need to add a good stretching workout to my routine at least once a week.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-13, 08:54 AM  
killoffsonny

I have often thought of getting her stretch dvd's but the price has turned me off. Maybe I should reconsider.
Old 11-21-13, 08:55 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Wow. Good for you! I know when I've injured my low back (from kettlebell swings last year, but it does happen from time to time) it's taken weeks to get back to normal. I've tried various stretches but nothing worked that quickly. I need to look into KV's stretch dvd.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-13, 09:48 AM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
I have often thought of getting her stretch dvd's but the price has turned me off. Maybe I should reconsider.
I think I got it during one of Mary's sales so it was a few dollars cheaper. And I think I told dh that's what I wanted for my birthday (or maybe it was Christmas, it's been awhile), haha. Watch clips first though, I'd hate to steer someone wrong. I just really like her style. I have the latest, but haven't tried it yet. I plan to very soon though! Treat yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Wow. Good for you! I know when I've injured my low back (from kettlebell swings last year, but it does happen from time to time) it's taken weeks to get back to normal. I've tried various stretches but nothing worked that quickly. I need to look into KV's stretch dvd.
I was really surprised! Last time I hurt my lower back, it took weeks (as you said) before I felt right. I'm sure there are other good stretch DVDs out there, maybe ones that pinpoint particular problems. I don't have any others that I can think of except Cathe's Stretch Max, so that's why I did Karen's, and I'm glad I did!
Old 11-21-13, 10:31 AM  
donnamp

I'm glad it helped WorkoutJunkie! I really messed up my back last winter/early spring - and KV's Full Body stretch was my go-to workout. I did it several times a week - often, I just did the slow stretches on the floor and it made an amazing difference.

Another thing that helps w/ my very cranky back is Classical Stretch. I have one side that tends to get very tight and CS magically loosens and balances it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-13, 11:03 AM  
cherimac

Yay!
Old 11-21-13, 01:02 PM  
Jane1721

I am so glad you're feeling better! I will have to check out that workout now.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-13, 01:27 PM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I'm glad it helped WorkoutJunkie! I really messed up my back last winter/early spring - and KV's Full Body stretch was my go-to workout. I did it several times a week - often, I just did the slow stretches on the floor and it made an amazing difference.

Another thing that helps w/ my very cranky back is Classical Stretch. I have one side that tends to get very tight and CS magically loosens and balances it.

Donna
I'm glad you saw this post! Thank you for suggesting I do Full Body Stretch. I'm so glad I did! Just like you said, it made an amazing difference. Sounds like I need to add Classical Stretch to my collection too. Thanks again!!

ETA: Just looked at that CS sale thread, it seems the choice is overwhelming. Which CS DVD in particular do you recommend?
Old 11-21-13, 01:28 PM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Yay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1721 View Post
I am so glad you're feeling better! I will have to check out that workout now.
Thank you both!
Old 11-21-13, 03:17 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by workoutjunkie View Post
Some of you may have read my post yesterday on how I tweaked my lower back doing Jessica Smith's Tummy Toners workout #1. I was in such pain yesterday, just sitting at my desk hurt. I was bummed because I didn't want to be sidelined with an injury.

Yesterday evening, I decided to do Karen Voight's Fully Body Stretch in hope of getting some relief. During the workout I could feel the tightness in my back and it was hard to do some of the stretches, but I worked through them carefully and slowly. Afterwards, I felt pretty good, took a nice hot shower and fixed some supper and sat down to eat and realized my back wasn't hurting anymore! (Just a wee bit, but sooo much better.)

For those that have been to a chiropractor, you know how when you get adjusted you can just feel it when your neck or back or whatever is put back in place? I always know immediately, you can just feel it. I was wondering if I'd get that from a stretch workout.

Well, I didn't get that during the stretch workout, no "aha!" moment during the stretches where something released and my low back suddenly felt better. It was just a gradual progression of releasing the tightness. I slept so much better and this morning I am sitting at my desk with hardly any pain. I am amazed and am convinced I need to add a good stretching workout to my routine at least once a week.
That is awesome!
moonbeam31 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
karen voight