Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-13, 07:17 AM  
kariev34

the Firm classics

Ok, i'm 31 so I never did the firm when I was younger as I didn't workout then. I see sooooo many posts raving about the firm classics and what great workouts they are. I wanted to ask first, if anyone never did these workouts when they first came out and are just now getting into them and second, do you have a hard time getting past the outdated set/outfits? I feel like i haven't tried them yet because i'm having a hard time with the outdatedness of them. I feel like because of this I may be missing out on some great workouts.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 07:46 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I did them when they first came out. I don't do them anymore because - right or wrong - I'm afraid the workouts themselves are dated. For example, so many instructors today say not to use ankle weights. How many other moves that we used to do - and that are in these workouts - are contraindicated today? There are so many current workouts available that I don't feel the need to do the same ones I did that many years ago.

That thinking is probably ridiculous, I know.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 07:48 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I have only tried 3 of the classics, Vol 1, 2 and 5. They are really good workouts, I don't have any issues with the dated outfits and music. I have a lot of old workouts from the 80's and 90's so that's not a big deal for me.

However...I have owned Vol 1 since 1996 and out of all the Firms I own, it's the one I reach for the least. I only acquired 2 and 5 last year and just traded 5 away. I don't like the high impact aerobics, of course they are easy to modify, the floor work is really good but moves very fast. I almost like Vol 2 a little better to be honest but I don't reach for either one all that much. It's partly the length...I don't have the attention span to exercise for an hour anymore.

But if I did I am more apt to reach for the Crosstrainer Cardio and Strength pair, I am really anxious for these remasters to come out. In my opinion these are the all time best Firms. I am older too and seem to migrate more towards workouts that are slower paced.

Again...not dissing the Classics, they are really good and no doubt effective. They are just not my personal favorite Firms. The Crosstrainers are more my speed.

I am probably one of the few that feels this way, I will be interested to see what the other responses are!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 07:56 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I still have the crosstrainers and love them (and not just because my quote is on them ).
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 08:26 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I still have the crosstrainers and love them (and not just because my quote is on them ).
They really are exceptional workouts, and for some reason I acquired them much later than many of the other Firms I have tried. I like the music and while the library setting is a little out there I find it kind of cozy. It doesn't bother me anyway.

Definite keepers for me...I also really like Tough Tape 2, waiting for that one to come out as well.
Old 04-07-13, 09:07 AM  
Sara1000

Who says not to use ankle weights? I hadn't heard this. And why not? Thanks.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-13, 09:13 AM  
Rose Ohio

I am just starting to purchase the Fitness Favorites DVDs. I worked out with the original Firms. I have all of them on VHS, in fact just put them in a bag yesterday. Don't know what to do with them. Some of the classics are dated but have such a nostalgia thing for me. I really want the CrossTrainer Strength Workout on DVD, I traded for one but it was brittle and cracked when I removed it from the holder. Darn! I look at these older Classics and don't think some of the moves are safe. I don't know if these would appeal to the younger crowd. It is pure nostalgia for me. At least the Classics. I love some of the newer ones, Cardio Step Mix, Tough Cardio Mix, Fat Burning, Lower Body Shaping, the new 12 Minute Time Crunch Cardio. These are great workouts! Fun!
Old 04-07-13, 09:29 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Ohio View Post
I am just starting to purchase the Fitness Favorites DVDs. I worked out with the original Firms. I have all of them on VHS, in fact just put them in a bag yesterday. Don't know what to do with them. Some of the classics are dated but have such a nostalgia thing for me. I really want the CrossTrainer Strength Workout on DVD, I traded for one but it was brittle and cracked when I removed it from the holder. Darn! I look at these older Classics and don't think some of the moves are safe. I don't know if these would appeal to the younger crowd. It is pure nostalgia for me. At least the Classics. I love some of the newer ones, Cardio Step Mix, Tough Cardio Mix, Fat Burning, Lower Body Shaping, the new 12 Minute Time Crunch Cardio. These are great workouts! Fun!
Rose - Firm Cardio and Strength have not been released yet, but they will be, this year I believe.

Firm Strength is still available at Collage on DVD (I think) but it's not chaptered.

I bought the Prime Powers and Time Crunches too, I wasn't sure about the Prime Powers but I really like them, even the silly jungle set.
Old 04-07-13, 09:40 AM  
Rose Ohio

I love the Prime Powers! Thanks for letting me know about the CrossTrainers. I will be watching for these. Collage no longer has the Strength DVD. I will just have to be patient. I have plenty to keep me busy!
Old 04-07-13, 09:46 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Funny, I was just chatting with another VFer about the Classic Firms. I had all of them at one time. I loved Vol 6 aka "Boomers" and if I were to reaquire any that would be the one. Nice slow movements, low impact basic cardio. I think the step up box would bug my back again, though.

Oh my goodness, the cheesiness, though! Cracks me up. Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvaWTDfvMY

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm classics, fitness favorites, the firm