Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-12, 10:44 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

For those of you who don't do "walking" workouts, what do you use to fill that niche?

Inspired by this thread, I was wondering what you nonwalking-video users use for your "walking" substitute, a low impact, nonplyo workout that involves your upper and lower body, keeps your (bare)feet on the ground, but yet does a body good? I am not really talking about floorwork, no pilates, no yoga, just feet-on-the-ground and moving workouts.

This morning doing a Misty Tripoli, it "came" to me that Misty is Leslie with a bandana, some dreads, and live (better) music.

Chris Freytag's Prevention workouts for the most part aren't labeled "walking," but if Leslie were doing them, no one would look askance.

Care to share?

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 10:59 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I tried to do walking workouts (Leslie) and simply could not get into it. Instead, I prefer to walk outside or I reach for low-impact dance-based workouts like Ellen Barret, Balletone, Cardio Callanetics, Petra, Soul Sweat, etc. I need some choreography to maintain my interest
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:26 AM  
EnglishIvy

Gin Miller's Waltz to Fitness

This is more on the relaxing side obviously but still gives a "walking" level of workout. Takes the stressful edge off when you've had "one of those days".
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:30 AM  
buttons11

Pick your level Fat to Firm Fast w/Michelle Dozois
Petra - bootcamp boogie, cardio for beginners, breathe, liquid groove
Disco Dojo w/Scott Cole

Oh and powerfits w/Stephanie Huckabie

I know kickboxing is not walking but I end up feeling energized in the same way
I'm thinking Guillermo Gomez here, maybe Chris Freytags Kickstart your Metabolism

A couple Kathy Smiths's
Functionally Fit: Peak Fat-Burning
The Fat Burning Breakthrough - although uses a step they have a modifier that does not

Some slower moving, non-turny step workouts are just great on the floor too
Gin Miller Salsa Walk

I also feel like some of the Gilad workouts may fit this, like the body sculpt plus
I know I have a few more...I'll come back later
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons

Last edited by buttons11; 06-21-12 at 11:32 AM. Reason: ETA: Salsa Walk
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:40 AM  
upperwside

Kickboxing...
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:46 AM  
slysam

I tried a couple of basic walking videos and didn't personally click with them (though I am sure there are better examples). But judging from the intensity and what I have read about others experience with them... I think some milder forms of dance fill that niche for me. I do a fair amount of belly dance and hula dance as well as some others. Those can be more intense (but so can some Leslie's from what I understand especially the ones that mix "jogging" spurts). I do some dancing most days like how a lot of VF'ers do some walking dvds. I do love outdoor walking though, and I wear a fitbit to track my steps so have been known to walk in place, pace, do various types of steps, etc in my living room while watching tv so I guess that also meets a similar niche.

I will probably try some of the fusion flowing type workouts in the future as I think I would really like them from what I've read and the clips I watched.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 11:51 AM  
topfitmama

I can also vouch for Ellen's cardio workouts: Barefoot Cardio, FBF and Fat Burning Pilates are good. I haven't tried her newest ones.
If you want some fun, Kari Anderson's Sweat Express II is fairly low impact. I've done it barefoot and did all but the last two dances before the cool-down.
Prevention Walk Your Way Slim is kind of a misnomer. That workout is based on walking but you do all sorts of other moves and you can keep your feet on the floor throughout.

Fuzzie
I don't exactly "get" Leslie (as in rushing out to buy her workouts), but she is great for days when I don't feel like moving at all. This morning I was feeling quite stiff and ready to go back and enjoy one more hour of sweet dreams, but I decided to get up and do a mile with Leslie, see if my body felt more ready for exercise after that. I ended up doing the circuit workout from Cardio Melt after my Leslie mile.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 12:00 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Fuzzie
I don't exactly "get" Leslie (as in rushing out to buy her workouts), but she is great for days when I don't feel like moving at all. This morning I was feeling quite stiff and ready to go back and enjoy one more hour of sweet dreams, but I decided to get up and do a mile with Leslie, see if my body felt more ready for exercise after that. I ended up doing the circuit workout from Cardio Melt after my Leslie mile.
Oh, that's a nice combo! Maybe I need to revisit Leslie that way...
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 12:03 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Gin's Salsa Walk, IIRC, is a hot commodity. People keep trying to get here to re-release it and my understanding is the answer is NO.

But I could be confusing it with another of hers.

I just don't click with Ellen, and I want to LURVE her.

I need to buy one of her workouts and just see. I used to "do" her on Exercise TV, or was it FITTV. Anyway, is was Slorobics or something and my attention wandered and next thing you know I was standing there looking out the window and wondering what to have for lunch.

But from what I see of clips, her later stuff is not quite like that.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 12:18 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Walk It Out Also, most dance video games other than DDR are low-impact and use the whole body.

Someone once mentioned Denise Druce DVDs, often sold in discount multi-packs, are good low-impact aerobic workouts.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active recovery, beach pilates, caribbean workouts, chi ball, floor aerobics, low energy, low impact, misty tripoli, walking, walking alternatives