Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-09, 09:33 PM  
chancyd

Question Running Shoes for Excessive supination

Any recs for good but reasonably priced running shoes for those of us who walk on the outside edges of our feet?

Thanks
chancyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 06:27 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Go to a running store where they video you running on a treadmill in different shoes. They will find you the right ones.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 06:31 AM  
Gatorfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancyd View Post
Any recs for good but reasonably priced running shoes for those of us who walk on the outside edges of our feet?

Thanks

Hello,
The running store videotaping of your gait is a great idea.

Being someone of high arches, I am a supinator as well, and would recommend the Asics Gel Nimbus Running Shoes, but I wouldn't consider them reasonably priced. They come out with a new version every year, so you may be able to find older versions on clearance.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-14-09, 07:24 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I am a supinator and get fitted at a running store, and wear nothing but Asics. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Asics and haven't bought another type of shoe since I got my first pair three years ago when I was marathon training.

The Gel Nimbus is the Cadillac of running shoes for supinators, imho; but the Cumulus 10 is mid-priced and also very good (a little less cushy).
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 08:12 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

I was analyzed by a running store on the TM. I am a "Neutral" runner, but my left foot still supinates. I have high arches. They put me in a neutral cushioned shoe. I almost always use Asics Nimbus 10's, too. (Want to try the 11's since they are out ). There are several other shoes that I love, too. The main thing would be to be analyzed and find out the type of shoe you need...and then you can go from there.

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 08:59 AM  
sugarhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I am a supinator and get fitted at a running store, and wear nothing but Asics. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Asics and haven't bought another type of shoe since I got my first pair three years ago when I was marathon training.

The Gel Nimbus is the Cadillac of running shoes for supinators, imho; but the Cumulus 10 is mid-priced and also very good (a little less cushy).
I am a new runner and wonder more about these shoes of which you sing their praise. Can I ask how much one would need to spend on these shoes (can I ask this...if not, I apologize) as I went online and noticed a huge price difference in styles of these shoes?

Thank you
sugarhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 09:49 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The current Gel Nimbus is the Nimbus-11, I believe... It runs about $125.00.

However, the way Asics does it is they have a new version of a given shoe every year or so.

So the CURRENT Gel Nimbus, this year's model, the 11, is $125. However, you can get last year's model, the Gel Nimbus 10, for about $100, and you can find the Gel Nimbus 9 for about $70.

Usually, Asics is pretty consistent with a model. So a Gel Nimbus-11 and a Gel Nimbus 9 would be pretty similar with the exception of color availability. HOWEVER, occasionally Asics will make changes in a model. That's almost always disappointing to the faithful users of that model! So always make sure you try on the older model, or if you buy it online, make sure you can return them if you don't like them.

The Cumulus is a lower-priced model to begin with. The current model runs about $100, with older models running down to about $50. It's just less CUSHY than the Nimbus. So if you like cushiness, you might want to spring for the Nimbus. For some people, though, too much cushiness makes their shins hurt, and that sort of person would actually prefer the Cumulus.

Note that we are specifically talking models for supinators. Asics also has models for pronators, but I don't know anything much about them. I just know I've tried shoes for supinators made by Reebok, Saucony, Nike, and New Balance, and Asics is the BEST, with New Balance a close second.

Just my opinion! Your feet may differ!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 10:57 AM  
sugarhound

Thank you for the information. I have no idea how my foot lands but I am guessing where it should. The supinate foots sounds a bit painful, though I suppose if it was much, then one wouldn't be running?

I have high arches, that's all I know. I guess I can go to an athletic shoe store and try them out....I am not a happy shopper so I will have to grin and bear it and go for it.

Nothing like running in the early morning though, it feels so good.
sugarhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running shoes, shoes