Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-23, 07:54 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Best floor stretch? 30m or less (preferably 20!)

I have come to realize lately, just today after a good sweat on the elliptical in fact, that I have an absolute PAUCITY of stretch workouts. And I think I need them more and more as I approach 60!

I have a Jessica Smith one that I enjoy, it has three stretches on it, one standing using a wall, one chair stretch, and one floor stretch. I use the floor stretch regularly. The other two don't appeal to me at all. I also have Tamilee Webb's stretch video with the 3x 10 minute stretches. Again, I use the floor stretch all the time. Standing? Nope. Chair? Nope.

I think that when I'm all warmed up and done with a workout, I'm just ready to be OFF. MY. POOR. FEET. So any stretch that isn't a floor stretch just isn't going to get much traction with me. Traction, get it? Stretch? Traction? Oh well. Maybe I'm not as funny as I think I am. Sigh.

At any rate, what are your favorite floor stretches? I remember KV's Pure and Simple Stretch being excellent. I think it is 35 or 40 minutes long, and I'd prefer shorter, but hey, if you have a fave that is longer than I'm looking for, go ahead and name it. Time well spent if you ask this creaky old lady.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 09:56 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

If you don't mind YouTube, I've got a few suggestions.

Kayleigh Cohen has some good stretches. This one is fifteen minutes long and it's all seated or lying on the floor. Most of the stretches are held 30 seconds.
Post-Workout Stretch Routine aka THE DESSERT!

This one focuses more on the lower body and has one stretch towards the end that has you on your feet, a downward dog.
15 Min Full Body Stretch for Flexibility & Mobility

This is a nice relaxing one with Jules from Improved Health:
Simple floor stretches | Stretches for all body types

Edited to say these are all about 15 minutes long.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 10:47 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Here's one by Pahla B:
FULL BODY Floor STRETCHING Routine | 20 Minute Gentle Flexibility Workout

This one by Nico Vera is done completely lying on the floor:
Beginner Easy Stretches for the Inflexible ♥ Flexibility, Pain Relief, Daily Stretch Routine

This 20 minute one has one downward dog:
Relaxing Full Body Stretch | 20 Minute Beginners Routine for Pain Relief, Flexibility

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-23, 06:02 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Another nice one from Jules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-AdI8DCek8 - about 12 minutes long

A couple from Lauren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTfHQcIEiw&t=2s - 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlwk82OM9Us - 13 minutes

From Jessica Smith - this one starts standing for upper body stretches, but you could do them on the floor, and then moves to the floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ7h...index=27&t=10s - 30 minutes, yum!

Enjoy!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-23, 06:54 AM  
alisoncooks

I like floor stretches after a workout, too. Anything else just feels like more workout to me!

I use Kaleigh Cohen’s “15 Minute Full Body stretch” (linked above) after nearly every weight workout (3x/wk). It does focus on hamstrings a lot, but I don’t mind.

If you want dvd video, I really liked Deep Stretch Yin Yoga with Mimi Solaire. It had 3 20-minute, focused segments. It was very relaxing but I’ll admit that I just click on YouTube stretches these days.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-23, 07:47 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Debbie Siebers Slim and Limber from Slim in 6 - 15 minutes. She gets up about 5 minutes from the end, but I stay on the floor.

Jane Fonda’s stretch from her Stress Reduction workout - 17 minutes

Peggy Hall’s Yoga for Surfers 1 (Post Surf section) - 19 minutes

I don’t do streaming, I’m in too deep with 20 years of DVDs lol.
Old 03-30-23, 09:16 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Mimi Solaire's Deep Stretch. There is a Hips & Legs segment that is delicious.
Debbie Siebers Slim & Limber

I don't use YT as much as others but Jessica Smith has some good ones all lying down as well as C Dorner.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-23, 09:49 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I have a Jessica Smith one that I enjoy, it has three stretches on it, one standing using a wall, one chair stretch, and one floor stretch.
What is the title of this DVD, please?
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-23, 11:41 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Jane Adams has a really lovely "lying practice" from her Gentle Yoga (7 Practices) DVD that's 34 minutes. From her Yoga Practices for Beginners she has a "complete floor practice" (28 min) as well as a "lying poses for flexibility" at 36 minutes. She's one of my favorites.

In February, I rotated all of my Jessica Smith yoga/stretch DVDs, so there were some I liked more than others. I also get that not everyone has the time to do more than 30 minutes at a time, so I chose many short practices. One of my favorites of hers is still her Gentle Yoga: for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility and for me specifically the Hips and Knees segment at only 20 minutes. I also like the others on this DVD but tend to have tight hips from so much walking. I would choose floor sessions more frequently than standing, in most cases.

Another instructor I like is Dean Pohlman, and I would recommend his Gentle Yoga Fix DVD. It has Five (20 minute) practices. It's a nice way to cycle through each one every week for a complete Total Body "Fix." He is sometimes shirtless on his workouts, and can't remember if this is the case on this particular DVD, but he's a very good instructor and his pace is very good, not too fast or slow.

For something totally different Cathe Friedrich has a mobility workout on her Perfect Flow Perfect 30 DVD, that I like to pull out every once in a while. You can view clips of that one to see if it's something that would interest you or not. I like the variety of this workout, but I don't think Cathe is always the best at teaching (verbalizing) yoga. If you're not in the same position that she is in, you can end up on the wrong foot sometimes. ;-) I also like her Stretch Max DVD from her Hardcore series for other quick options and variety...using bands, ball or just a basic floor stretch, after a workout. She can be a little dry in these.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-23, 11:49 AM  
DBW

Someone mentioned this a while ago in another thread. Oldie but goodie, 20 minute Kathy Smith stretch at the end of this video. Go to about 46:33 for the stretch segment.

https://youtu.be/05Ca6C5ktFE
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
karen voight stretch, perfect flow, stretch workouts, stretching