Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-09, 03:31 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I have another question: in reading reviews, I notice that many people seem to say that the always order 1/2 size up in athletic shoes. I'm not sure of the exact reason for this--it seems to be a combination of comfort and possibly a tendency to wear thick socks when working out. Well, my workout socks aren't particularly thick, and I NEVER buy shoes in a larger size just for the sake of it. When I say I'm a pretty consistent 8 1/2, I mean it--I think 99% of the shoes in my closet are that size! That's why I'm so reluctant to order differently.
I think it could be a combination of both but it's also the fact that when exercising, feet have a tendency to spread and swell. Also, it seems to me that athletic shoes for some reason seem to run slightly smaller (as far as the interior of the shoe is concerned) than street shoes.

If you're in doubt, than I say buy your normal size to start and then exchange if it's too small.
Old 10-29-09, 03:32 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
I have another question: in reading reviews, I notice that many people seem to say that the always order 1/2 size up in athletic shoes. I'm not sure of the exact reason for this--it seems to be a combination of comfort and possibly a tendency to wear thick socks when working out. Well, my workout socks aren't particularly thick, and I NEVER buy shoes in a larger size just for the sake of it. When I say I'm a pretty consistent 8 1/2, I mean it--I think 99% of the shoes in my closet are that size! That's why I'm so reluctant to order differently.
Most of the athletic shoes I've ever tried on run a little small. I don't know why there would be a difference in athletic vs. dress shoes, but there seems to be for whatever reason.
My shoes are all over the map. I have one pair of 9 1/2s, but I'm usually a 10 or 11, especially in athletic shoes. Actually, I love it when I find 10 1/2s, which is more my true size; fortunately that once odd and rare size is becoming slightly more common.
This is one of the main reasons I have to try shoes on in person. I think you're brave for doing it by mail, Beth!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 03:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks Tiffany and Kath.

Tiffany, I may go with those, although I keep backing myself into corners: I initially was going to get the blue, which was fine, but then the platinum/plum combo started growing on me--not a problem except that if I order in my normal size, which is what I'm leaning towards doing now, that color costs about $10 more!

See, Kath, that just baffles me--I never have worn a larger size in athletic shoes; I've always just been an 8 1/2 across the board. Weird.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 12:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
I don't know why I feel the need to complicate the field further, but now I'm leaning towards this Ryka:

http://www.amazon.com/Ryka-Womens-Tr...A2ZRJVH8MWAGDQ
Hi all,

I just wanted to report back to say I DID wind up ordering these shoes! I ordered them through the Amazon link above, which was actually through an independent seller, Shoes on the Web. In the end, I just decided to go with my regular size, 8 1/2--on Zappos, something like 73% of customers said that the shoes fit true to size, and like I said above, I always wear 8 1/2, even in athletic shoes. Also, I remembered how a lot of people told me to order up when I got my Earth shoes, but those fit fine in 8 1/2, so I just went for it.

Anyway, there was free UPS shipping, so I got the sneakers yesterday already, and they fit perfectly! If anything, there is more room around my toes than expected; definitely not too small. I still notice a little bit of shifting around the heel, so I tied them with the special lacing pattern that I was using for my old sneakers, and they seemed better. Also, when I actually put the Ryka on one foot and one of my old Avias on the other, there was a HUGE difference--the Avia seemed to have NO cushioning, and it was shifting all over the place!

So I wore the shoes for my first workout today (Firm Pump Jump N Jab), and I liked them. The feel is a bit different, but overall, they definitely seemed to give me more support and stability and to even help with balance as well. And like I said, in comparison to my old shoes--way better! So I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far and actually looking forward to doing more cardio, which I normally don't enjoy that much.

Thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions; sorry if I drove you crazy in trying to make the right decision!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 02:30 PM  
KathAL79

Beth, glad to hear of the happy ending! Enjoy your new shoes.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 08:43 AM  
tmonroe

I am so glad I found this post. I logged on this morning to get a good workout shoe recommendation. I do a lot of high impact aerobics and my Nike shoe is not giving me enough support especially around my ankles. They were sore after a workout so I need to find a new shoe before I continue to work out. Lately, I've been using JM' Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism reguarly. With all of those plyo moves I need support. Should I be looking for a cross trainer as well?

Tags
shoes