Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-09, 10:10 AM  
sugarhound

Running shoes question

I was reading where one should change their running shoes every 300-500 miles. That sounds quite pricey. What do you think?

And where does one find a store where there is someone who actually knows shoe dynamics regarding running? I have noticed all these athletic shoe stores in my area do sell running shoes but the employees really don't know anything about the activity, they are just people who needed jobs.

I have been on the Asics website and it looks to me that I have normal arches but wonder too, if they are actually high arches and I am not reading correctly. I have the Asics 2140 for normal arches but wonder if I need the Nimbus instead? Would it make that much difference if I had both kinds?

Whew...thank you to anyone who can answer in advance.
sugarhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 10:24 AM  
Jeanne Marie

YES, you should definitely change out your running shoes every 500 miles or so. Believe me, the money you save not getting new shoes and running in old ones, is NOT worth it.

I go to Fleet Feet for help in chosing the shoes that will work best for me. They are able to analyze your stride, gait and running style, while also examining your particular foot structure in order to recommend the best brand/style of shoe for you. I am not sure where you live, but Fleet Feet is a national chain.... hopefully there's one near you!

FleetFeetSports.com
Old 07-30-09, 10:30 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I wholeheartedly agree, YES you need to change out your running shoes. When mine wear down I start to experience foot pain along with knee and hip twinges. It's an expense but well worth the money.

I am in the DC area and we have Metro Run and Walk, where the knowledgable employees watch you as you jog and tell if you have pronated feet or anything of that sort. Turns out I do and the shoes are an enormous help.
Old 07-30-09, 10:33 AM  
sugarhound

Then I will do it. I think I went to The Finish Line to get my 2140s and no one knew anything about any type of sport. I understand these jobs don't pay much but one would think at least one person working in the store does more than wiggle their toes while watching TV for their activity.

Sorry, I am just frustrated. I will look at that other store. We do have those here too.
Old 07-30-09, 12:18 PM  
Kyra

I track mileage on all of my shoes, but I can usually tell when they're breaking down. I think your actual mileage will vary, based on your running style and surfaces. If I get 300 miles out of a pair, I'm happy.

And I'd rather pay for shoes than pay a doctor, so when they're done, they're done.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 12:31 PM  
sugarhound

Since running is so cheap, I do suppose a pair of new shoes two or three times per year is a bargain..
Old 07-30-09, 12:40 PM  
penlynwilson

Smile Replace 'em!

I agree with what others have said. I usually end up replacing mine sooner because I start to feel it in my shins. Look for a running store - not an "athletic shoe store." You might google local running clubs and check their sponsors. There is usually at least one running store that sponsors clubs. Another thought - join a running club for the discounts at the stores. If membership is $20/year and you get a 10% or 20% discount, the membership can pay for itself if you buy a couple of pairs of shoes a year.

When you go it, you might brouse for a few minutes and watch/listen to the people selling the shoes. See if there is one you like, then approach him/her. Also, take in your current shoes so they can look at the wear pattern. They should look at you standing and walking to see what type of shoe should be a good match for your body.

Hope that helps,
penlynwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 12:51 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhound View Post
Then I will do it. I think I went to The Finish Line to get my 2140s and no one knew anything about any type of sport. I understand these jobs don't pay much but one would think at least one person working in the store does more than wiggle their toes while watching TV for their activity.

Sorry, I am just frustrated. I will look at that other store. We do have those here too.
I'll third (or fourth) the necessity of new running shoes. Depending on what kind you get, they can wear out much more quickly than 500 miles, too (e.g. I wear a pair of very lightweight trainers, almost like track shoes, and replace them every 300 miles or so). The wear and tear on your joints will be much more costly in the end than investing in proper shoes and regularly replacing them.

I wouldn't classify The Finish Line as a specialty running store. I googled "specialty running store sacramento" and see that there's a Fleet Feet in your area, as well as a place called Auburn Running Company and one called The Running Zone. I'll bet there are at least one or two others. The people who work in specialty running stores are runners -- they usually are working there because they love to run and know a lot about all things running. You can get great advice from these folks.

Make some calls to these places and see who has a treadmill set up in the store where they can watch and/or video you running in order to make a proper recommendation about what type of shoe you need. Then you should also spend some time there in the store actually running in several different pairs to see what feels best -- it's amazing how different the feel of different brands and styles can be.

Once you've found your dream pair, you can save a bit by searching online for discounts on that same brand and style (holabird is a popular site, but I've found great deals elsewhere too) and then buying several pairs at once. Running shoe makers are notorious for making "improvements" to their different styles yearly, if not more often, which often significantly changes how the shoe fits and feels to any given individual.

HTH!
Old 07-30-09, 05:45 PM  
sugarhound

Thank you to everyone. I went to Fleetfeet in Roseville, CA and got a wonderful salesperson. He had me walk back and forth a couple of times and recommended some shoes.

I am not paraphrasing here but I have good arches and my feet don't flatten when I put down my foot. The shoes I had were good but they are more for feet that tend to flatten when they touch down. There were two pairs I tried and he recommended the less expensive of the two Asics. The less expensive!

I dont need all the cushioning of the more expensive unless I start running ten more miles per week. When I do start running more, I think, these shoes will need to be replaced anyway.

I was really happy with the service there. I am going to write them a letter tonight if I can get my daughter off my computer for a few minutes.

More great information and help from VFers. Thank you!
Old 07-30-09, 07:00 PM  
Darisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhound View Post
I was really happy with the service there. I am going to write them a letter tonight if I can get my daughter off my computer for a few minutes.
I love Fleet Feet. They have amazing service. I'm glad you liked them!
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running shoes, shoes