Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-31-23, 10:26 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for mentioning the podcast, Donna. I didn't know Jessica had one! I will check it out.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 03-31-23, 10:51 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
This isn't specific to the belly or menopause, but I have been enjoying Jessica Valant's Meet Your Body podcast - she has a lot of content on it that is appropriate for mid-life/aging women - and all that we are going through from caring of aging parents to hormonal changes to raising kids.
Anita Goa is another one who puts out a lot of encouraging midlife content:
https://www.instagram.com/anitagoawellbeing/

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Old 03-31-23, 11:06 AM  
JENILU

I never even "had the chance (lol) to experience peri, but got thrown into menopause in 2021. Immediately, my body started shifting (skin too). I have not gained a lot of weight (5-7 lbs?) but my weight usually works differently than most people's anyway- meds and illness seem to be what affect my own weight, but suddenly (and seemed overnight), my rib to hip length (space between them) seems to be shorter (maybe because of all the girl parts I lost???) and I am more boxy instead of a pear (I am getting a pooch and losing a little of the hips- which they say the hips come from estrogen so I guess thats why? I have been studying my hormones forever and still don't understand the why/how/which hormones affect others- don't let them tell you the thyroid isn't closely connected) thyroid/sex hormones/ adrenals. insulin- it is all connected, (I have a rare issue where I have diseases of each one, thats the only reason I have studied it so hard.)

ANYWAY... I have gotten a pooch that I have not been able to get rid of yet, but I have learned cortisol can change in menopause and contribute, so sometimes less stressful workouts and long walks are supposed to help. Trying to learn what to do about the skin changes. People say a loss of estrogen contributes, but I am so scared of that because I was always estrogen dominant and it caused a lot of other problems. Then I watched a video last night that said progesterone raises metabolism when you are losing hormone abilities- but it can also increase appetite. (which doesn't bother me, I need to eat more) I get lost in all that.

Too much talking, sorry. I guess the takeaways are keep cortisol in check (even digestion can stress the body if eating fake food, and I was told to not do high intensity, but then was told by others that short hiit workouts were best because it was the short length that mattered to stress more than the intensity. Balance in the body systems is all I know thats key. If you can figure that out and not get lost in overthinking like I do, it will probably help. I know there is some body acceptance in there as well tho, and if you don't have a cortisol issue, I know lifting heavier weights is a big deal to a lot of people in menopause. I can't right now, but want to in the near future, I hope, again. Always have hope and self acceptance in whatever process.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 04-04-23, 07:46 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Additional Thoughts, Part 1

I had another thought about this - I think it speaks to why these types of changes are so challenging for us to accept.

Most of us here who have been through this already see gaining weight in menopause as something frustrating but normal, right? So if it's normal and expected, why aren't we taught this? When health classes teach kids about the changes that their bodies go through, why aren't they taught that female bodies will have certain changes over the course of their life? Or when those in female bodies seek GYN care for the first time, why don't our doctors work with us to explain what is normal?

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-04-23, 07:51 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Additional Thoughts, Part 2

Sorry, I hit POST too soon...so this is Part 2.

Instead of getting healthy messages of what is normal and expected, we are BOMBARDED not only with messages from the weight loss industry, but with fear-based messages about gaining weight when getting older. For example, we are told how AWFUL belly fat is for health outcomes, making us feel scared and guilty for something that may be a natural part of getting older in a female body. I'm also frustrated that every piece of advice I've seen about managing weight in menopause simply offers some variation of "eat healthy foods and exercise." Not only is that obvious, but also it's something that most women have probably figured out by the time we reach peri/meno age. How about some changing advice for our changing bodies?

I could go on more of a rant, but it's only Tuesday so I'll try to hold myself in check, haha.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-04-23, 08:10 AM  
zoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Instead of getting healthy messages of what is normal and expected, we are BOMBARDED not only with messages from the weight loss industry, but with fear-based messages about gaining weight when getting older. For example, we are told how AWFUL belly fat is for health outcomes, making us feel scared and guilty for something that may be a natural part of getting older in a female body. I'm also frustrated that every piece of advice I've seen about managing weight in menopause simply offers some variation of "eat healthy foods and exercise." Not only is that obvious, but also it's something that most women have probably figured out by the time we reach peri/meno age. How about some changing advice for our changing bodies?
Bravo!!!!
Old 04-04-23, 08:21 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
Bravo!!!!
Thanks zoegirl - I was hoping others would be feeling my rant, haha.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-04-23, 09:06 AM  
prettyinpink

Just like pregnancy, menopause been treated like a disease and medicalized. Initially it was by a nearly all-male medical profession, but there is still carry-over even with more female providers. Making normal parts of life into subjective abnormality is baked into the model.

We can’t have the body at 60 that was possible at 30. We can eat sensibly, watch caloric intake, exercise, and have the best possible body for us, for our age.
Old 04-04-23, 09:10 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Just like pregnancy, menopause been treated like a disease and medicalized. Initially it was by a nearly all-male medical profession, but there is still carry-over even with more female providers. Making normal parts of life into subjective abnormality is baked into the model.
I've never been pregnant, but I can certainly see the parallels. My GYN is a male and my PCP is a female - but I think they both have this more outdated disease model attitude.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-04-23, 09:51 AM  
Vantreesta

I have asked my doctor the last couple years what to expect in the next few years in this regard and she hasn't really given me much info. My mom had a hysterectomy I think in her 30s or maybe early 40s so other than hot flashes I don't know if she had any other symptoms. I will be asking my doctor for info again next month at my annual visit.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness

Tags
belly fat, gaining weight, getting older, menopause, menopot, perimenopause, perimenopause weight gain, weight gain