Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-22, 05:03 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh HEY! So much to comment on..... I will never remember everything.

Basketball! Oh my gosh what a weekend! Every team we rooted for lost, but it was mostly good basketball. The UConn game was very disappointing.... as my son said, it seemed like a mismatch -- SC just seemed so much bigger than those UConn girls. We both would have liked to have seen Stanford in that game, but oh well. So disappointing about Duke but what a game! I'm definitely rooting for UNC tonight.

The hot flash theory is very interesting! I am past all that at this point (happily so, of course), but I'm thinking you may be onto something. I mean, it's all about hormones, right? And working out definitely does stuff with hormones, so I think it's quite plausible, but your secret is safe with me, kittybug. So funny about your husband, but I can totally relate! lavna, you work out three days/week, right? Do you notice a difference on the days you don't work out? This is fascinating to me.... wish I could go back in time and remember how it was for me.

kittybug, that boulder coming at your head!!! Very scary!! And Chele that's crazy how often you have to have windshields replaced! We have one right now that has been cracked for...... a really long time! I think it was early on in the pandemic and we just haven't gotten around to it. And now I think we just don't even see the crack anymore.

I'm really excited about Caroline's new program! It does sound great. I'm going to give it a try starting next week. manleym, yes, the length is attractive, though by the time I add on warm up and my PT exercises it'll probably still clock in close to an hour for me. As mentioned, I did do one of her Tempo full body workouts this morning and went really heavy (for me -- lighter than Caroline had, of course! ). I'm curious if I'll be sore tomorrow. I just love her slower paced stuff -- even though all of her stuff is sort of self-paced.

Chele, I understand that relief for your daughter sticking close to home. It is crazy times and hard to know the right thing for young people do do these days. I'm glad she had a good time at the dance. I never went to a dance in high school. There was one band party that was sort of dance-like that I attended, but that was as close as I got!

I think there were other comments I was going to make, but now I've forgotten. Waves to all -- you guys rock!!
Old 04-04-22, 05:55 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Watulans, have I mentioned how much I love this group?

Sunday was Patrick "kill me" Goudeau's Extreme Calorie Burn. 2Lazy, girl, I love you, but I strongly disagree with you saying this is not as hard as some of his other metabolic workouts. This one just SLAYS me and I wonder when I'll make it through without stopping to gasp for breath. Proooooobably never! Today I did CL 388 Upper Body Burn. Yep, it BURNED. She was so evil with her little evil laugh too!

Oh, ChelePA, that must be SUCH a kind of relief for you on your daughter deciding to stay home for school! I'm sure you had your poker face on, hah!

Manleym, you just described me to a T, the night sweats and insomnia!! It's AWFUL. I sometimes wonder why I don't so much have the daytime flashes so to hear you say that makes me feel a tad better. And Bee, you're right, if exercise does affect hormones, it is plausible, I guess!!

Manleym, keep us posted on the new series you're going to try.

We have like 90 mile an hour winds right now...hoping the power doesn't go out because I'm not yet done working. EEK!! Stay fierce, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 07:12 PM  
Mickey12

So don’t hate me you guys, but I never had any hot flashes or night sweats during menopause. I kept waiting for them to happen and they just never did. What I did experience was some cognitive problems like difficulty balancing the checkbook because of stupid math mistakes, forgetting to record checks, etc. I also had a little trouble at work because my concentration was lacking and my recall and memory were impaired. It was scary when it was happening, but it eventually passed. So all in all, I think I breezed through menopause without too much hassle.

I’m so glad you guys have a new series from Caroline to look forward to. I looked at a few of her workouts but I can’t get past the lack of cuing and I’m just not a fan of YouTube workouts.

Last night I did a new CIA 9001, Patrick Goudeau hi/lo, step and weight work. I did the hi/lo and part of the step. The hi/lo was really fun but a little tricky for me. I did my own thing for some of the moves. The step section was almost impossible for me right from the start, yikes, it was complicated! I will do the weight section on another day. The music was really good but not tracks I recognized. So I’m getting close to working my way through the old VHS I received from other VFers. I’m trying to get finished with my virgin pile, but I did stop at Salvation Army today and I picked up a Leslie Dvd. I’m not completely sure I don’t have the workouts already. Off now to check.
Old 04-04-22, 07:33 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all,

So today I did Mike Donavanik's Metabolic Workout #1. I was surprised that there was a modifier as I didn't recall her from the previous times I've done this workout. Of course I probably didn't pay attention since I wasn't modifying, but it was nice that she was there. I liked that she was up front and Mike mentioned her frequently. So I enjoyed it more than I thought it would. I followed it with Cathe Live #377 Total Body Circuit. I didn't do all of the core stuff and did some cardio instead.

manleym, NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO I am not rooting for Carolina tonight!!!!! I would have to return my degree if I rooted for our arch rivals!!!!! Go Jayhawks!!!

horusosiris, I will be working through the oldie Cathe step workouts doing them step-less. It's really something how much Cathe has changed since those workouts and I don't just mean getting older. **wink** Of course I've changed too but not the same way. It's fun revisiting these again!

FN1, I agree that Patrick's Extreme Calorie Burn is tough!

Waves and hugs to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 07:37 PM  
ChelePA

So I previewed the first workout from Caroline. It’s probably something I could modify with bodyweight or light dumbbells, but I think I am now accustomed to the awesome music in most of my Peloton workouts. Sometimes there’s too much talking but I’ve learned to keep moving. I also really like the little pointers that are given throughout the classes. There are so many different instructors on the app that there’s no boredom factor. Plus they all teach and cue differently. It really has helped me with my form.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 09:09 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Tuesday

Yesterday-Iron Series Day 1 - Legs

Today - Iron Series Day 2- chest, back shoulders

The workouts are very doable. I love that Carolyn (just like Lift with Cee) does not talk.

I think I will continue with the Iron Series and see how it goes. I am going for a 3 mile walk later in the day.

Cataddict- I think you will enjoy the classic Cathe Step workouts.

Mickey- Lucky you- breezing right through menopause. Everyone should be so lucky! Yes, Patrick's step workouts can be a bit complicated but stick with it. Try his 30 minute Quick Step workout. It is fun and very doable.

Chel- too much talking in a workout is usually a deal breaker for me. Funny, I never used to be bothered by chatter but now I am. Life is so busy with "noise" that I now appreciate the quieter side of things.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 10:19 AM  
ChelePA

Horusosiris...Funny how we all have our preferences. I have definitely changed over the years too. I do like many of the YouTube instructors, but I missed the cueing, motivation, etc. and I don't love all the background music for many of the classes. With Peloton, sometimes it really helps with my form and other times it's a nice distraction because they are entertaining or offering words of wisdom. But there are many days, I wish they would not talk or do less shout outs to the members in the class. I am much more consistent with the strength workouts since using the Peloton schedule. I like that the calendar does a variety of shorter classes with different instructors. And the music is more motivating especially since there is more repetition than I like. But repetition these days is definitely helping me get stronger and improve my form.

Kim...I know what you mean about brain fog. Not that mine was menopause related. But for many months after the accident, my concentration skills etc. were so off due to post-concussion syndrome. It freaked me out.

Have any of you ladies tried bioidentical hormones? I am currently on them, and they definitely help with symptoms.

Who watched the game yesterday? So much excitement. I felt soooo bad for Manek when he threw the ball out of bounds and then tripped on that last play. Tough way to lose. I'll have to move on to watching softball and the NBA playoffs now that March Madness is over. I don't enjoy professional games as much as college.

Workouts today included 10 minutes core. 10 minutes arms and light weights. This one was a killer. I barely made it through using only 2-pound weights. Tough stuff. 20 minutes medium/heavy weights for upper body. Added on a cycling class. All AC/DC music. Fun to watch the former monk instructor teach this class. Finished with a post-ride stretch.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 11:46 AM  
manleym

Kim you are quite fortunate to have not suffered (and I mean SUFFERED) the sometimes horrible menopause symptoms. That is great! Like you, I've noticed more concentration and memory problems. And things seem to overwhelm me alot easier than they used to. All part of the fun (or not) aging process.

Cataddict so you're sayin' you don't like UNC? HA!! It is BECAUSE you have a degree from their arch rival that you predicted they would be in the final playoff game.

Bee like you, by the time I finish adding on warmups, cooldowns, and the optional add-on workout, the time does creep up to about an hour or more. The 30 minutes does help shave off a few minutes.

Horusosiris I like the no-talking too. I just get in the zone and the workout is over before I know it. I don't like too much chatter either. But our house is pretty quiet so I'm not used to alot of noise. And Caroline's music doesn't bother me. It actually reminds me of Cathe Live music. In fact, the "Buh, buh, buh" song from Cathe's Cardio Party dvd was in one of Caroline's workouts the other day.

ChelePA we were SO BUMMED because we did not get to watch the game!!! We thought the 3 hours free would apply to the final game, but apparently it didn't. GRR! We started watching Ken Burns' new documentary series on Benjamin Franklin (PBS). It's very good. We did keep track of the score and sounds like the 2nd half was amazing with Kansas coming back from so far behind. We don't like professional sports as much as college either.

I'm glad you mentioned bioidentical hormones because I was going to suggest them to those of you experiencing menopause symptoms. I resisted trying them for YEARS. Tried all natural reliefs - Epsom salt baths, Calm Forte, acupuncture, sound machines, St. Johns Wort, Valerian Root, essential oils, etc. I tried many and multiple all natural approaches to relieve menopause symptoms. It got to where I just couldn't stand the symptoms any longer so I gave in and tried bioidentical hormones and they have been a game changer. No more night sweats. I can fall asleep and stay asleep. I really wish I would have gone on them sooner and saved myself alot of grief. So Kittybug and Nathalie, not telling you how to live your life or anything, but as a former, "I will never take anything" to a "ok, I'll give bioidentical hormones a shot" it has made a world of difference and I only regret not doing it sooner and relieving some of the misery of menopause symptoms. I'm on a low dose Estrogen patch that I change every 2 days and take Progesterone nightly.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 01:24 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hellloooooo!! OMG It's been a week since I checked in! My bad. It was actually quiet last week except for tons of work I was catching up on.
Justin continues to do well. Just followup lab work as all his blood levels get back to normal.

Brief recap - last week was all Cathe Live. HUGE RAVE for Live 86 To the Mat Legs and ICY Core. O-M-G great! No weights at all and all on the floor! Just uses body weight, loops and bands and was amazing. My legs were sore for 2 days! There are 5lb weights used during the core work which as also excellent.
SORE LEGS NO WEIGHTS!

This week is a mix so far.
Mon: Cathe Live 95 Total Body Barbell and Bands. It was good. Not thrilling and Cathe definitely has better total body strength workouts, but this was good for a Monday.

Today: Pulled out and old (2003) Body Step. Mark, Lisa, Joanie and LOTS of fun moves and energy. LOVED this one...didn't have to even think about the choreography but there was tons of intensity. I'm going to start adding these in to my rotation.

Still managing Yoga on most days and still meditating every day.

HUGS to all. Still being fierce? ;-)
I'll go back and catch up now.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 02:50 PM  
horusosiris

Manelym- We also watched the PBS Ken Burns Benjamin Franklin documentary. Benjamin was quite a character and hhis, like most of the "founding fathers," life was full of contradictions. He was able to hold his polarities in dynamic tension. In my estimation anything that Ken Burn does is good.

Chel and Manelym - I love most sports including professional and college. We have season tickets to most of the professional sports team here. We have tickets to opening day a Yankee stadium. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in