Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-21, 09:12 AM  
Hsim

Does anyone workout in their garage?

Hi, I will be relocating soon and I notice there really isn't any basements in the houses but the garage areas are really spacious. I was wondering if any other VFers use their garage or a portion of their garage as a workout space?
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 11:45 AM  
rhbrand

I did for a few years until we bought and moved into a new house that has a full finished basement.

We had a 3 car garage and I took the 3rd bay, which was separate, and converted 90% of it into a nice home gym. It had a small vent so I could have heat and air, not the best but better than nothing.
Old 02-14-21, 02:04 PM  
bfit

I have done this in the past but not now in my current situation. The main thing about a garage is having enough space so you're not crashing into junk, having proper ventilation, and having a mat or something on the floor so you're not directly on concrete and so you can get down to do floor work.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 05:40 PM  
rykram

I sometimes workout in my garage. I put down puzzle mats and usually have a fan or two going. I typically have to watch what time of day I do it cause if it is the summer it can get extremely hot. Winter isn’t as bad as I usually start warm up once I get moving with cardio. I have opened my garage door slightly if it gets too warm. I like doing cardio out there as I have more room to move around and can really exaggerate the moves (jumping, plyos, etc) without worrying I might crash through the ceiling
rykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 06:04 PM  
jusca

I did in the past. It has its own central air and heating. I always left the garage doors or windows open while in there because of lawnmovers and gas cans in there. I used thick puzzled mats for floor cardio. I used the small car bay as a gym and it was spacious. I moved back into the house bedroom as I was too lazy to walk to the garage and people interrupted more when i would go in there.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-21, 07:23 PM  
Hsim

Thanks everyone! I see they sell some nice cushiony flooring online even thick enough for crossfit. The other obstacle will be the heat in the summer as it gets pretty hot. I may have to switch my workout time to the morning. I will definitely be able to at least get a fan which is equal to what I get in my basement as I do not have central air.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 03:22 PM  
cailleach

catching up after a chaotic week.

I managed to get 1/4 of a two car garage for my exercise room, laid out the puzzle mats to say this area is mine. Have a roku tv with dvd player and my weights all lined up.

I live with my parents to help take care of them so I really need a space for me. It works out well but does get hot in the summer. My hours are set on EST even though I live in PST. Yes, I get up to start work at 5 am. Do have a fan but may try to work out some schedule with the office for this summer. Last summer had to deal with the smoke from the fires in the bay area so I mostly did floor work during that time.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventilation, workout rooms