Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-19, 11:32 AM  
sherry7899

Finding the right workout space in your home

For years I exercised in our finished basement, and then my DH started working from home there (starting early) so I moved my cardio and strength to our family room. (I use a spare bedroom upstairs for yoga/recumbent bike/treadmill). That room is only 8 feet by 10 feet, with half the room taken up by the bike/treadmill, so cardio would not really work in there.

I have been seriously neglecting strength training since I had to move out of the finished basement. My cats kept getting in my way. For some reason, they stay out of my way during cardio. It is an open room off our kitchen, so there is no door to close. I know I could exercise at night, but I'm a morning person, and if I don't exercise in the morning, it just does not get done.

This week I tried out Cathe LITE PHA2 and spent half the time dodging around our cats. I almost hit one of them in the head repeatedly while doing strength work on the floor. He kept following me no matter how I moved away from him. I was so worried about hurting him by accident.

This morning it dawned on me I could move all my strength equipment to the spare upstairs bedroom since strength work does not take up much space. I do have the bike and treadmill in there already.I got a workout hauling my weights upstairs. I have not used my step in ages, but decided I wanted to use it as a weight bench, so I vacuumed out the dust from the underside and brought that upstairs also.I could not use that in our family room. Our cats would decide it is a scratching post

I also dug out my long neglected stability ball from the closet under our basement stairs. That was fun-it was ALL the way in the back behind a ton of other stuff.

I am excited to use that dedicated space tomorrow. The room has a ceiling fan, and the tv is actually up higher on a better angle than the one in our family room, so it should work out well. I think the lying strength work will be easier using the step than doing it on the floor. I am grateful to have that room just for exercise. Maybe someday I'll attempt floor cardio in there, but the space is pretty tight for that.

I am sorry to ramble, but my DH and son would not understand about this. Thanks for reading

I admit to being envious of the photos I have seen from some members with really big dedicated workout rooms where they can even put down flooring especially for cardio, and have all their workouts and equipment in there also. I am glad for what I do have, though-a room with a door, so I will not complain.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 11:57 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Hi Sherry - congratulations on moving to a new space!

my workout space has shrunk over the years. i've learned to adapt to the size, even for cardio. for example, if floor aerobics requires a bigger footprint, i move "diagonally" in the room to take advantage of a longer width while still being able to see the screen.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 12:24 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Hi Sherry - congratulations on moving to a new space!

my workout space has shrunk over the years. i've learned to adapt to the size, even for cardio. for example, if floor aerobics requires a bigger footprint, i move "diagonally" in the room to take advantage of a longer width while still being able to see the screen.
Diagonal moves are a good idea. Thank you!

Old 01-21-19, 12:29 PM  
Sissy B

I'm still looking! I wish I had a big room/space that I could do all my workouts in. I have a spare bedroom that has the treadmill and recumbent bike in it along with all my other exercise equipment, except for a kettlebell and some light dumbbells that I keep in the family room. It's a small bedroom so I call it the cardio room, meaning cardio equipment. There's not room to do any other kind of workout in there. I have 2 dogs that like to help me workout so it's hard to do any kind of strength training, kettlebells or yoga in the family room. I don't want to hurt them or myself.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 12:30 PM  
Mickey12

I work out in my living room. I have a fair amount of space to move side to side, but for some moves I have to move sideways towards the TV. I've made it work.

Congratulations, Sherry, on the new space. It's exciting - almost like getting new equipment or a new DVD.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 12:31 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I'm still looking! I wish I had a big room/space that I could do all my workouts in. I have a spare bedroom that has the treadmill and recumbent bike in it along with all my other exercise equipment, except for a kettlebell and some light dumbbells that I keep in the family room. It's a small bedroom so I call it the cardio room, meaning cardio equipment. That's not room to do any other kind of workout in there. I have 2 dogs that like to help to help me workout so it's hard to do any kind of strength training, kettlebells or yoga in the family room. I don't want to hurt them or myself.
Replace "cats" with dogs and I have the same situation.

Old 01-21-19, 12:33 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I work out in my living room. I have a fair amount of space to move side to side, but for some moves I have to move sideways towards the TV. I've made it work.

Congratulations, Sherry, on the new space. It's exciting - almost like getting new equipment or a new DVD.

Kim
Thank you! I am going to try a Cathe LITE workout in there tomorrow. It will be so nice to use weights without worrying about hurting our cats.

Old 01-21-19, 12:34 PM  
sherry7899

I found the step risers are a perfect spot for my stability ball.

Old 01-21-19, 12:37 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Hey Sherry, your new room sounds great! It really is nice to have a dedicated space - more incentive to exercise that way.

I have a space in my finished basement. I could use more room, but like the others, I make some adjustments when I need to.

I think we all understand! If I ever win the lottery, my new house is going to have a HUGE, fully equipped workout room!!!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 01:40 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Congratulations, Sherry! Yes, we understand here how important it is to have a dedicated space to do our workout thing.

I've worked out in a variety of spaces, small and large, over the years. I've managed to modify based on the size and shape of the space. Now at the ripe old age of 62, I finally have my dream space. It took over a month of "making do" in a small, odd shaped space, but now I have a fantastic space that fits all my equipment and allows me to move around in any direction I want. So, I understand completely how much it means! Enjoy!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise room, workout rooms, workout space