Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-18, 08:20 PM  
daisyduke

Running vs walking

Do you get better results with one versus the other? I know running burns more calories but it often leaves me worn down and Ill. I can walk much longer and thus move more throughout the day. Which works better for you? Thank you!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 12:43 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I've hated running since I was sixteen. My knees have never loved it, maybe because I have had overpronation and/or flat feet issues over the years. I happily walk, speed walk and hike for miles on end
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 07:41 AM  
Tugger31

I have a love-hate relationship with running, but too much either in the way of too long a distance (and by "long" for me is 3 miles) or running too many days in a row starts to bother my knees. I find walking to get boring really quick. So now all of my "running" involves run/walk circuits that I vary depending on what I'm in the mood for. That way I get the best of both worlds. I do all my run/walking on the treadmill.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 07:43 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Well I'm going back almost 40 years to when I was in my early 20's and I started running 3 or 4 times a week for about 2 or 3 miles each time. I was thin to begin with but I lost 10 lbs and 2 clothes sizes in 6 weeks. I didn't change my eating at all at the time. Now I doubt I would see such quick results with anything at 61 plus running triggers my lower back pain now so not worth it to me. I lost a lot of weight 5 years ago and I was walking daily but that weight loss was about dietary changes. Walking is much more sustainable and enjoyable to me now.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 12:56 PM  
mbcatac7

I started training for a 10K race at the end of July. The Race is this Saturday, Dec 8th. I have done all run/walk training, because that is how I plan on doing the race. I plan on doing the whole 10k 2min runs/30sec walks. Problem is I have gained 5 pounds since I started training.
Looking forward to the race being over with, and losing the 5 pounds. I will be giving up my long distance runs, and moving into more of HIIT type runs if I do them.
Looking forward to just moving back to my Barre workouts for my cardio.

I have found that my body just does not respond well to hard-core cardio like it used too. I am 43 and it likes lower intensity workouts. I can do the hard-core cardio, I just gain weight from it. Lower intensity workouts I lose weight and can maintain weight easily.
Old 12-05-18, 03:03 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcatac7 View Post
I started training for a 10K race at the end of July. .

Good luck! I run 5Ks two or three times a week, but only do one 10K a year (July 4th Atlanta Peachtree Road Race 10K)

I don't really train extra for it. I run often and run hard every week, so adding on an extra 5K in a race once a year is fine. I'm with you on the HIIT though... it's much better for your heart health!

My goal for the 10K each year is under an hour. I usually make that by a couple of minutes. My 5K pace is about 27 minutes, so it's definitely a bit harder going the extra distance!

Good luck! You'll do great!
Old 12-05-18, 07:19 PM  
daisyduke

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Switching to running from other workouts has seemed to help me lose weight. We all have bronchitis now and the running wears me down. So I was wondering if walking would suffice. I did a Leslie with 3 lb weights today and I worked up a good sweat!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 07:32 AM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Good luck! I run 5Ks two or three times a week, but only do one 10K a year (July 4th Atlanta Peachtree Road Race 10K)

I don't really train extra for it. I run often and run hard every week, so adding on an extra 5K in a race once a year is fine. I'm with you on the HIIT though... it's much better for your heart health!

My goal for the 10K each year is under an hour. I usually make that by a couple of minutes. My 5K pace is about 27 minutes, so it's definitely a bit harder going the extra distance!

Good luck! You'll do great!
Jeanne Marie,
I sent you a pm regarding your recovery from your frequent workouts.
anjabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 02:24 PM  
adrien_73

I ran 4-6 mile sessions several times a week for many years. I had phenomenal weight loss when I added running into my routines, but I have some minor overuse injuries and they flare up immensely from running!

While I have gained a few pounds since I stopped running, it is not as excessive as I had expected. But, what I do now is wear a HRM every cardio session to monitor my caloric expenditure. I usually have to exercise an extra 10-15 minutes to get the same calorie burn, but for me it is worth it to keep my joints happy.

I am often surprised that when I walk on an incline on treadmills or up hills when I am outside, and add light upper body exercises to my walks I can get my heart rate up almost as high as when running.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-18, 07:16 AM  
Rhonda

I do walk/jog/run intervals on my treadmill. I usually do a DVD or Peloton has some good workouts (which is what I have been doing). I only do them once or twice a week usually on weekends. I have to keep it to a couple of days as my knee will start acting up if I do too much jogging/running. I can walk all day with no problem.

Weekdays I am doing other types of exercising.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running vs. walking