Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-17, 04:51 PM  
donnamp

ooh - and oldie but a goodie - Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper/Lower body - they are each about 30 minutes long. It is now on a compilation DVD.....

https://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-T...ds=kathy+smith

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 02:20 PM  
bfit

There is a very old workout in the "Dummies" series called Weight Training for Dummies. It shows proper form for basic exercises followed by some reps of each exercise. I think a beginner would outgrow it pretty quickly, but it does show proper form and doesn't go too fast. It might be best for someone trying to master weights and then do their own routine at home without a DVD. Also, this sounds kind of strange, but you could check out some of the more straightforward Cathe weights workout like Slow and Heavy or Gym Style training. They're advanced in the sense that she uses heavy weights and does a lot of repetitions, but the moves are basic and slow, and she shows good form. A beginner could just reduce the weight and/or the reps, and then advance from there.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 02:44 PM  
met fan

Thank you for the excellent suggestions. I'm checking them all out. I think she will like Jessica. My daughter loves dogs. She will be amused by Peanut.
met fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 02:51 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricek View Post
An oldie but goodie the original Power90 Sculpt workouts. They are no frills, but get the job done in a short amount of time. I got in great shape with that program.
That was my thought too. The original, not the newer ones - the new ones are kinda' cool but more complicated.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 03:55 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Like bfit I was also thinking of Cathe. Early ones like Pure Strength, Maximum Intensity Strength, and her Wedding video if you can find it.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 05:27 PM  
Tugger31

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/ASA...DVD-p/1113.htm
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 05:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Karen Voight:

Lean Legs & Buns
Firm Arms & Abs

edited to add:

10 minute Solution Target Toning with Cindy Whitmarsh

a book:
The College Dorm Workout by Marthe Simone and Joyce Vedral

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 07:57 PM  
OSusanna

Gin Miller Build up your Muscles. You get a choice of ways to do it, a band, ankle weights, or traditional dumbells. Even if the user is attracted to only hand weights the workout is well demonstrated and well taught by Gin Miller.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 10:46 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I don't know if they're available anywhere now, but years ago The Gym Box released DVDs under the name Discount Workouts. I bought both their Beginner Weights DVDs, and each DVD had 2 separate 30-minute workouts. Simple, no-frills, non-intimidating workouts rather like short Body Pump workouts which could be made easy or more challenging depending on the weights chosen. Each taught by individual instructors who were straightforward and non-irritating. I really like them but I think they may be out of print.
ETA - They're out of stock (permanently I think) but clips can be viewed here. http://www.discountworkouts.com/weights.php I'm still mentioning them in case you can find them on eBay or for trade somewhere?

I'll also put in a good word for Gunnar Peterson. I have several by him that are 30 minutes (or less) and just use dumbbells (no stability ball). None are hard but the easiest to begin with are:
- Core Secrets Training Camp
- Shape Best-Ever Hollywood Workout (10 and 20 minute options that can be combined). Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ib8xClqC0
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 11:01 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
This looks really good, though it's 45mins when you include warmup and cooldown.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginners, college dorm workout, strength training, weights only