Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-16, 04:07 PM  
lindseylu8

Redoing My Home Gym, Recommendations Needed

hello friends. I am redoing my home gym space. I want to do mirrors on one wall and I also want to put down a solid flooring. I am currently using puzzle mats but I am tired of dealing with them. I am looking for a solid piece/ roll that is padded. So my questions are:
  1. What did you use to mount your mirrors to the wall
  2. Does anyone have recommendations for flooring? I have heard that there is some kind of padded flooring for garages or even for actual gyms but am not sure exactly what I am looking for.

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 10:04 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi Lindsey,

I just moved and am about to redo my home gym too! I can't help you on the mirrors, I want to put some up too but haven't done that yet.

For the flooring: I highly recommend heavy duty/commercial grade puzzle piece flooring. It is very heavy and an investment (for my 11x13' or so space I think I spent about $600) but it is awesome on the basement floor to protect me from the concrete. I think I got something like this (http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/int...gym-tiles.html) but I think I got 1" thick mats. They are very heavy (about 25# each) and will not slide around.

Good luck on your home gym!
Old 06-30-16, 10:59 AM  
Taiga

Flexiroll mats are excellent. Light, roll/store easily, feel great and you can cover a lot of space. Wouldn't store weights on them like a puzzle mat, but they feel so much better on the body. If you spend a fair amount of time on the floor(body weight exercises, pilates, yoga, floor work) or do a lot of plyo work, they are the best!
Old 06-30-16, 11:04 AM  
enduranceron

I've been told you can use Horse Stall Mats from Tractor Supply as a much cheaper alternative for flooring.

I read this recently for lots of tips (alot of DIY stuff):
https://www.amazon.com/Garage-Gym-At...rds=garage+gym

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 01:07 PM  
bzbnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduranceron View Post
I've been told you can use Horse Stall Mats from Tractor Supply as a much cheaper alternative for flooring.
I used these when I moved my workout area to my basement. I have 7. I do like to use a yoga mat underneath me when I do mat work though.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 02:01 PM  
lindseylu8

Thank you all for the suggestions & links! I am going to check them all out. Im getting excited about the "makeover"

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 12:24 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have the flexiroll mats that Taiga mentioned above. They are the best fitness investment I made for my home gym. I LOVE them. They are thick and provide cushioning from impact but you don't sink into them if that makes sense. They roll up and can be easily moved around. I have 2 of them and usually have them set up in a square. When I want to do bear crawls, I just move them in a straight line so I can crawl 20 feet without changing directions.
I mentioned this before but I had a small flood in my basement from a leaking pipe. I dragged the mats outside and wiped them down and left them out to dry. Puzzle mats would have been a pain to pick up and would have probably been destroyed.
They were expensive but worth every penny.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 02:20 AM  
nckfitheart

I am also decorating for my first ever workout room. It feels great to finally have a personal space instead using the living room.

Here below is a thread on Cathe's forum. There are various advices I hope will answer your question.

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/worko.../#post-2359865

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/worko...2#post-2355351

All the best
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, workout rooms