slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhere2dance View Post
Nothing wrong with being any shape!
True!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 07:58 PM  
neatski

Mesomorph checking in. My rotations have pretty drastically affected the way I look, even when my weight doesn't change a lot, but I don't think it's the exercise- I think it's mostly the appetite and nutrition that comes with it. A few years ago, I was doing long interval circuits with lots of pullups and heavy weights, and my shoulders and arms outgrew all my shirts, and my glutes filled out all my pants. Barre and short HIIT workouts have altered my appearance in a major way- now I'm slimmer and smaller than I've ever been before, and all my smallest clothes are loose (and the weight difference is UNDER FIVE POUNDS!).

When I was doing my long circuits, I was STARVING and ate like a horse. Short workouts and barre affect my appetite differently, so I eat less (and more cleanly, frankly, because I'm not starving all the time). I put on less muscle this way, but my overall body composition is more muscular (higher percentage muscle than when I do longer circuits), so overall I weigh the same but look a lot slimmer.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 05:48 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
When I was doing my long circuits, I was STARVING and ate like a horse. Short workouts and barre affect my appetite differently, so I eat less (and more cleanly, frankly, because I'm not starving all the time). I put on less muscle this way, but my overall body composition is more muscular (higher percentage muscle than when I do longer circuits), so overall I weigh the same but look a lot slimmer.
I wouldn't describe my aesthetic results from barre as being quite as dramatic as Neatski describes hers, but I would def. agree that barre has not affected my appetite in the same way as heavy weight work or long circuit workouts did. I also didn't enjoy lifting heavy. I liked long circuits, but they really tired me out and I found I was less inclined to move around more throughout my day, and I think that affects things, too.

I will say barre has tapered in my hips in a rather nice way, that I never found other workouts did.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 08:28 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Have you all watched that documentary by Michael Mosely "The Truth About Exercise"? It is fascinating. Scientific studies have found that there are individuals that are "super responders" to exercise....Olympic athletes and fitness models. I watched this program in its entirety...and I don't watch TV. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz2...cise_lifestyle

I think a lot of how our body looks is based on genetics. I'm never going to be a tall, willowy drink of water. I'm little and short waisted....there is about an inch between my bottom rib and hip. I was happy when I lost post partum weight a few years back and was that smaller version of myself.

I doubt I could ever achieve that lean, cut look of a body builder.

People often say I look like I did in high school...and someone recently posted a picture of me back in the day...which is more than 30 years ago. Basically, yes, I look the same. I do have a better haircut, some wrinkles, good muscle tone and four nice kids. I'm still a short little gymnast, though.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 09:04 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Have you all watched that documentary by Michael Mosely "The Truth About Exercise"? It is fascinating. Scientific studies have found that there are individuals that are "super responders" to exercise....Olympic athletes and fitness models. I watched this program in its entirety...and I don't watch TV. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz2...cise_lifestyle

I doubt I could ever achieve that lean, cut look of a body builder.

People often say I look like I did in high school...and someone recently posted a picture of me back in the day...which is more than 30 years ago. Basically, yes, I look the same. I do have a better haircut, some wrinkles, good muscle tone and four nice kids. I'm still a short little gymnast, though.
Well, at least you have never stopped being the little girl who made her parents' proud. They (parents) wanted either pageant queens or gymnasts, didn't they? according to the stereotype ...

I am an endomorph/ectomorph ... currently trying to keep wasting syndrome at bay; weakened greatly by some infirmities ... but if diet and more importantly, exercise as well were not important I would not be contributing to these threads ...

My body changed radically ... but never through exercise alone, no matter what I did ... About 85% through extreme dietary changes and a crazy low-salt kick —the latter of which I am trying to do away with now ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 09:29 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Well, at least you have never stopped being the little girl who made her parents' proud. They (parents) wanted either pageant queens or gymnasts, didn't they? according to the stereotype ...

My body changed radically ... but never through exercise alone, no matter what I did ... About 85% through extreme dietary changes and a crazy low-salt kick —the latter of which I am trying to do away with now ...
Actually, I come from a heavy family that has always scoffed at my exercise...but we'll save that for another day....or for the psychologist.

I've had heavier periods of life. It always took me awhile to lose pregnancy weight....and my last baby, being an older mom, it was frustrating to lose the weight. What I am saying though, is I've always been either a heavier version of myself and when I've lost weight it hasn't been a huge change. Kind of like getting back to "being me".

No matter what I do, though, I don't seem to be able to achieve a cut, lean look. Like Jamie Eason or Kelly Rennie. I'd love to shave away my torso but I think it's just part of my build. I do think if a person wants to drastically change their physique, they will drastically have to change their lifestyle and yep, a huge component is diet.

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 05-09-15, 09:33 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Actually, I come from a heavy family that has always scoffed at my exercise...but we'll save that for another day....or for the psychologist.

I've had heavier periods of life. It always took me awhile to lose pregnancy weight....and my last baby, being an older mom, it was frustrating to lose the weight. What I am saying though, is I've always been either a heavier version of myself and when I've lost weight it hasn't been a huge change. Kind of like getting back to "being me".

No matter what I do, though, I don't seem to be able to achieve a cut, lean look. Like Jamie Eason or Kelly Rennie. I'd love to shave away my torso but I think it's just part of my build. I do think if a person wants to drastically change their physique, they will drastically have to change their lifestyle and yep, a huge component is diet.
Looking like Jamie Eason is a full time job, and diet is a huuuge part of it.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 09:40 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I know, and I'm ok with not looking like her. I am not willing to do what she does.

Old 05-09-15, 09:56 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Yep

Quote:
I know, and I'm ok with not looking like her. I am not willing to do what she does.
Yep

Although she does look fantastic, I looked at what she does. I don't have the time or energy. And I have a strong aversion to supplements. She is an aesthetic GOAL to aspire to, but I won't be too upset if I don't make it there I'm just going to stick with the best version of me. With a much bigger, rounder butt.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 10:08 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Yep

Yep

Although she does look fantastic, I looked at what she does. I don't have the time or energy. And I have a strong aversion to supplements. She is an aesthetic GOAL to aspire to, but I won't be too upset if I don't make it there I'm just going to stick with the best version of me. With a much bigger, rounder butt.
I agree....working out can't be my full time job. Honestly her workouts and diet would kill me anyway. I look at her build, too. She is way longer in the torso than me.

I just love Jamie, though!

Tags
genetics, michael mosley, neat activity, nonresponders, sitting, vo2 max