Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-13, 10:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Question Puzzle Mat Questions

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting puzzle mats for my basement workout room, which has Berber carpet. Although I don't mind exercising on the carpet, DH is worried about it getting worn down, so he asked me to look into options.

I read several of the threads here on VF, but I still have a few questions, as there appear to be MANY different options available.
  1. Is there a particular favorite brand of puzzle mats here on VF?
  2. Is there a particular type of puzzle mat recommended for carpets? I have a nicer Berber carpet, not a thinner indoor-outdoor carpet like you might see in some basements.
  3. What thickness mats do most people have? I've seen "soft" foam mats at a thickness of 3/8", but some reviews say that these dent easily, so I'm wondering if 5/8" or even 7/8" would be better.
  4. Any thoughts on the regular mats versus the "Tatami" style, which have the wavy pattern used for martial arts?
  5. If the mats are on carpet, do I need to worry about them slipping/coming apart?
  6. Finally, where did you purchase your mats? Am I likely to get a better deal online (preferred if it's easier) or in-store?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 05:30 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I would like to know the same thing although I am putting the mats down on a ceramic tile floor. I would be interested in hearing if others have any experience with puzzle mats on tile.
I bought some at BJs labeled "anti-fatigue" mats but I haven't opened the packages yet (we just finished the floor this weekend.)
The packaging has photos showing them in laundry rooms, garages etc. They don't mention that they can be used for fitness. They are textured-there are bumps on them that I am not sure I want although I think the mats can be flipped over to the other side.
Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 06:03 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...&highlight=mat
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 07:32 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks hdw.
Beth: Sorry for hijacking your thread.
I am thinking of these:
http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/int...soft-tile.html

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 08:01 PM  
Jewels5

I use my puzzle mats on a tile floor, but when I first bought them I used them on carpeting. On the carpeting they did slip a little, but I taped them down with that blue painter's tape. (It was all I had.) Now that they are on the tile I keep weights, my step, and a bin full of DVDs on one side that weighs it down so they won't slip. But, I am not doing crazy cardio these days, so they are not likely to go anywhere anyway. I bought my mats from greatmats.com and have been very happy with them. Leslie, they look like the same mats you posted. http://www.greatmats.com/products/home-sport-play.php

Hope that helps!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 09:34 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Leslie, no problem! Those tiles you linked to were one of the options I was considering, although I found them on another site:
http://www.foamtiles.com/reversible.html

This particular site also sells the "tatami" style tiles, so I wonder if anyone has/prefers these.

Julie, I looked at the Great Mats site also; I don't know if the "Home Sport and Play" mats are exactly the same, but they are definitely extremely similar, as they are also 7/8" and 2-sided. I would be covering a pretty large area (I haven't measured yet--maybe about 15' by 15'?), so I'm hoping that would reduce any slipping.

Thanks for the feedback so far--any other thoughts would be appreciated!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 04-24-13, 05:23 PM  
Jewels5

Beth, my mats are covering 10' by 8' (but I have one mat missing where my elliptical sticks out). I do think the greater the number it helps with the sliding. I added four more after my initial purchase and it seemed to help.

All this talk is making me want to add about four more. With my current setup I have to walk diagonally when Leslie takes two steps forward.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 05:36 PM  
EnglishIvy

The Flexiroll mats are so much better if you don't mind investing a little more
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 06:25 PM  
baba

I just got a 6' x 6' mat at square36.com. It has no phalates, which is important to me as my kids will be on it. I can't say how well it will hold up as I just got it today
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 07:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
The Flexiroll mats are so much better if you don't mind investing a little more
EnglishIvy, what makes these better--is it because they are thicker? Because they can be rolled? (I have a dedicated exercise room, so I plan to leave mine permanently in place.)

baba, that mat looks interesting, but it's not nearly big enough for what I need--i.e., if I was doing cardio from side-to-side, I'd move right off it!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
anti-fatigue mat, mat, puzzle mats, workout rooms