Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-13, 04:02 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Most (not all) marathoners do very little, if any, speedwork.

I personally can't stand articles like this. There is NO magic bullet, including moderation. We will all die someday. Some of us will be very old and gray, some of us will go "before our time." It's likely that we can't do much to change where we are going to fall on that spectrum. All I know is that while I'm still living, I'm going to be living. If that means I'm going to die a few years early because I happen to enjoy running hard (and often), cycling hard (and often), etc., well then, so be it.
Oh boy, yes!!!!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 05:36 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
This is a little off topic, but I have to throw it out there. Heart problems run on my dad's side. He died of a heart attack in his sleep when I was 16. I had an uncle who died at age 18 and 2 more that have had multiple bypass surgeries. I have a very very mild irregular heartbeat( nothing that I need meds for) I keep up on all the testing and have had an EKG, Ultrasound, blood work, etc, I started doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution a few months ago and really liked it! Totally different than what I was doing. About 1 month into the program, I noticed my heart rate picking up here and there, didn't really think anything of it. Then one morning I thought I was having a heart attack. My heart was racing, I couldn't breath, etc I'm only 38 .Everything checked out o.k. I did a little research and determined it was probably an anxiety attack, which I've never dealt with. There were a lot of other things going on in my life as well. Certain websites said higher intensity workouts were o.k( I know Jillian isn't that high, but at the time it was for me) I had another episode a week later and was able to talk myself/breath my way out of it. I decided to stop Jillian and start back in with Ballet and walking/meditation. Ever since I dropped Jillian I haven't had another episode. Has anyone else experienced this with anxiety? Sorry if I got off topic a bit
Thanks for sharing. It's not off topic. Not every program is going to work for everyone. And people shouldn't be looked down on for not going all the way, especially if they have people who depend on them. I'd rather be here to see my grandchildren then die early trying to prove something.

A very recent night in the ER and then admittance to the hospital for a battery of tests, a stern lecture from my (young, fit, thin, female) attending physician about not monitoring my blood pressure more carefully, another lecture from my husband about perimenopause, hormones and doing too much, a day away from my children plus a new pricey Rx for BP meds was enough to convince me to be smarter about my workout choices.

Sure, my ego would love the boost of posting I did Insanity for breakfast, P90X for lunch and Crossfit before dinner along with a ripped physique and tiny waist but I love my children, my husband and my life right now more I would love the ability to boast about my fitness prowess.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 07:00 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
Thanks for sharing. It's not off topic. Not every program is going to work for everyone. And people shouldn't be looked down on for not going all the way, especially if they have people who depend on them. I'd rather be here to see my grandchildren then die early trying to prove something.

A very recent night in the ER and then admittance to the hospital for a battery of tests, a stern lecture from my (young, fit, thin, female) attending physician about not monitoring my blood pressure more carefully, another lecture from my husband about perimenopause, hormones and doing too much, a day away from my children plus a new pricey Rx for BP meds was enough to convince me to be smarter about my workout choices.

Sure, my ego would love the boost of posting I did Insanity for breakfast, P90X for lunch and Crossfit before dinner along with a ripped physique and tiny waist but I love my children, my husband and my life right now more I would love the ability to boast about my fitness prowess.
I couldn't agree more. And I feel so much better now. I think I will always secretly be an intensity junkie, but from the sidelines. I'm loving walking with my youngest and ballet right now. Although I still have stress, my body is just dealing with it better. Apparently I needed to slow down. I'm just glad it happened this way and it wasn't anything more serious.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 07:27 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
I couldn't agree more. And I feel so much better now. I think I will always secretly be an intensity junkie, but from the sidelines. I'm loving walking with my youngest and ballet right now. Although I still have stress, my body is just dealing with it better. Apparently I needed to slow down. I'm just glad it happened this way and it wasn't anything more serious.
FWIW, I would never push through with high intensity if it caused me panic attacks/racing heart beat or any other health issue! I'm so glad you're feeling better. There is absolutely nothing scarier than an out of control heart rate/rhythm. I had two episodes of my heart racing when I was under a lot of stress one time and it really freaked me out! Good for you listening to your body and treating it with compassion.

F1mom- I hope you are feeling better soon and your blood pressure stabilizes! Sending out soothing, positive vibes your way!
Old 06-28-13, 08:14 AM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post

Sorry to hear this! I hope you're felling better! Hey, life happens and I love your post!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 08:37 AM  
Gayleski

That article struck me as being pretty much data-free.
Old 06-28-13, 01:08 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

This is an interesting thread. I don't remember reading it back when it originated a few months ago. Special thanks to hotncmom for distilling all the science stuff to understandable nuggets!

I figure if you enjoy high intensity exercise and it makes you feel good, then why not continue? But the thread has brought one of my sisters-in-law to mind. She is a runner. She doesn't like, but thinks it's the best form of exercise to be healthy and fit. I've never enjoyed running and it doesn't make me feel good, but many people in my life have encouraged me to take it up b/c they see it as 'real' exercise... as in, anything less than a good hard run is sub-par.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 10:07 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I've never enjoyed running and it doesn't make me feel good, but many people in my life have encouraged me to take it up b/c they see it as 'real' exercise... as in, anything less than a good hard run is sub-par.
This makes me think about the article linked a few months ago with the 90-something woman who did yoga and tango for fitness. She stressed having a passion for what you do and I'm convinced that's why she's lived so long.

I guess the problem happens when some mistakenly think their passion needs to be everyone else's passion. Before I jumped on the intensity wagon and got myself into trouble I was having a really good run doing 10 minutes of something easy every hour or so. The weight fell off without effort and I felt really good.

I fell prey to thinking I wasn't doing real exercise because the workouts were short and too easy. So my ego got involved and I started lifting heavier, doing more hiit and here I am back to Ellen, Leslie and barre.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 10:14 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin in Grenada View Post
Love this. I used to be a "puke-in-the-bucket" type (not literally, however ). Now, it seems, that it just doesn't feel right for my body. I miss running every morning, but my body doesn't like it. I think, that for me anyway, the older I get, the more moderation seems to be the wiser approach. I also love rebounding.
My body has always hated running...and I'm in my twenties.

Tags
blood pressure, high blood pressure, high intensity, michael mosley