Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-13, 10:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Cathe's All Out Low Impact Hiit

Full disclosure: I received a free review copy of this workout.

I had pretty much given up on buying Cathe workouts. I have the intermediate-level workouts of hers that I can do and I enjoy those. But, I had given up on getting any of her workouts designated at the advanced level because, even if they were low impact, they are too hard on my joints and my system. Then, I started reading about this workout. And, everything I read seemed to indicate that it would be doable by me, so I took the chance. And, boy, am I ever glad I did! It's one fun workout that is very customizable for different levels of fitness, even a 50-year-old intermediate exerciser with bad hands/wrists and knees.

Cathe works out in a gym setting w/ four background exercisers. As usual, no modifications are shown, although Cathe gives different ways to alter the moves throughout the workout. The set reminds me just a very little of Leslie's old courtyard setting. Personally, this was a pleasant memory, so it worked for me. The main workout is a cardio/Hiit workout and calls for a set of light dumbbells, a step, and gliding discs. However, it is up to you whether you use all that equipment. I did the workout without a step for the sake of my knees. The dvd includes premixes and bonus workouts. See below for a list of those.

I thought the moves were fun. There wasn't a lot of repetition, which I thought was nice. Many of the moves, you did one set of and then moved on. There were some that you do on one side, so, of course, you repeat the move once on the other side. Throughout the workout, Cathe stresses coming up on your toes, but not jumping. There was one move where they supported weight on the hands. It was a runners lunge and then you switch your feet. I just did the move standing. I was amazed at the high intensity of the moves, all with low impact. If you use the step, the intensity will be more than without the step, of course. However, I found the moves without the step to keep me in the flow of the workout without dropping the intensity very much. Of course, more advanced exercisers wouldn't find ths to be true.

The music in this workout is great - at least, when compared to most of the workouts out there with lousy to just okay music. It was nice to have a workout with music with vocals. I found it motivating.

There are some bonus strength-oriented segments, which I have not tried. I got this workout for the Hiit workout, and I think that is what I will use it for mostly. I may try one of the premixes someday when I want both cardio and strength. Maybe.

I REALLY like this workout! Given what I had read before I tried it, I'm not sure why I was so shocked. Regardless, I'm glad I tried this workout.

Below is more information that you may or may not care about:

Workout Times - Main workout:
Warm Up - 4:53
Round One Floor HiiT - 13:48
Round Two Step - 11:00
Round Three Discs - 5:56
Stretch - 3:19
Total - 38:56

Bonus Workouts:
Bonus Core - 10:26
Bonus Burn Set Chest - 14:10
Bonus Burn Set Shoulder - 14:19
100 Rep Challenge Scarecrows - 5:47

Premixes:
Low Impact HiiT + Core
Low Impact HiiT + Burn Sets Chest
Low Impact HiiT + Burn Sets Chest + Core
Low Impact HiiT + Burn Sets Shoulders
Low Impact HiiT + Burn Sets Shoulders + Core
Timesaver – Floor Cardio
Timesaver – Floor Cardio + Core
Timesaver – Step and Discs Cardio
Timesaver – Step and Discs Cardio + Core
Timesaver – Floor and Step Cardio (no discs)
Timesaver – Floor and Step Cardio (no discs) + Core
Timesaver – Floor and Discs Cardio + Core
Double Floor Cardio

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 12:29 PM  
Kathleen86

Thanks for the review! I will have to add this one to my list. I know Cathe and step aerobics are almost synonymous but I think I really prefer her cardio workouts that don't use the step. ETA: watching the clip, I see she uses it a bit but with simple choreography, which is my main problem with step. I went to a live step class at the gym once and a stranger told me to 'stick with it'...nice sentiment but I must just have been that bad.
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 01:42 PM  
Zenara25

Great review Laura I really enjoy Hiit/Tabata workouts about 2x a week so having one that is Low Impact is a wonderful addition. I absolutely love this workout!
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 01:49 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Kathleen - Yeah, as you noted, it's not really a "step workout". The step seems to just be there to increase the intensity. For me, doing those portions on the floor felt totally natural. Or, if you want to avoid choreography, it's extremely basic to non-existent.

Zenara - Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if I should add this higher intensity type of workout to my schedule on a more regular basis. Right now, I'm following a rotation, so this is something for me to think about for the long term. And, my knees are doing better right now, so it's actually possible.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-17-13, 02:18 PM  
Demeris

oh crap

this has been on my wishlist forever

why, oh why did I open this thread?
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 02:28 PM  
wlorrie

I LOVE this workout! I think it is sheer perfection--you get an very intense workout that has very little impact. The music is awesome!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 05:47 PM  
ncl

This is one of my favorite workouts....do it a lot...love it!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 09:33 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Laura, how much of the workout uses the gliding discs?

I don't ever intend to use gliding discs in any workout. Ever.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 10:15 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Alta - The gliding section is a short section at the end of the workout right before the stretch and lasts about 6 minutes. So, it could be skipped without interrupting the flow of the rest of the workout.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-20-13, 10:19 AM  
boukilisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Laura, how much of the workout uses the gliding discs?

I don't ever intend to use gliding discs in any workout. Ever.
+1

Can you do the moves without the discs? Also is the cardio portion drills or just basic moves?

Tags
cathe, high intensity low impact, hiit, low impact