Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-13, 10:13 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Question Callan Pinckney and lotte berk methods

What is the major difference between the two methods?

I went back to look at Callanetics and I'd also like to know if you have
Cardio Callanetics do you need Callanetics evolution? Is there a big difference in the two. .

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 11:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

callan studied under lotte berk, but callan was the first to produce barre videos and books back in the 80s.

the difference is the sequencing and reps. callanetics has more reps vs. LBM.

i don't have the evolution or cardio series that came from australia. maybe someone can chime in.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 11:46 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Do you see any similarities in Tracy Anderson's work that says she uses it?

In this article

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-21-13, 02:54 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

your link wouldn't work for me.

i don't have any TA workouts - saw a few clips, but not a full-length TA workout.

are you thinking of getting callanetics or LBM? what other barre workouts do you own?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 06:56 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
What is the major difference between the two methods?

I went back to look at Callanetics and I'd also like to know if you have
Cardio Callanetics do you need Callanetics evolution? Is there a big difference in the two. .
Lotte's classes (in London) moved very quickly. Callan studied and taught under Lotte but felt that there were near-injuries that occurred in Lotte's classes. Since Callan herself had back pain issues she developed a slower, more therapeutic form of classes --> Callanetics.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 08:23 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
No
No

although I got rid of Cardio Callanetics and kept Evolution
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-13, 12:08 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

here is the link bazar. I'll just put the whole thing here. I may not have copied it correctly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-comeback.html

Yes, i was thinking of getting one of the newer Callanetics, either Revolution or the Cardio one.

On the Collage video reviews it says 30 minutes of the Evolution are included in the Cardio one.

I like the Lotte Berk style so I am trying to acquire more that are on those lines.

I don't mind slower movements as I don't want to do all Cardio-type Barre.

Thank you for telling me she did study under Lotte. I think I did read that. She just went further and got her classes out there before Lotte Started doing her DVDS.

Yes, I was reading that Callan Did it also because of her hip height and she wanted relief. She was a little bit of thing . I guess that goes along with the time also. People were smaller then they are now.

I have,
Burn at the BArre the one with the brown cover.
Xtend Barre
Ballet Physique.
The Bar Method 1&II
Core Barre
Boston Body Barre
Tracy Anderson Booty Barre Beginners

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-22-13, 11:53 AM  
Scorpio6

I have the two Callanetics Evolution ones incl the Cardio. I like the Cardio but unfortunately the first 10 minutes (approx) are squats and lunges so because of my knees, I have to substitute other movements until they get to the rest of it unless I fast forward.

There is a half hour toning workout on the Cardio dvd that is chopped from the hour long dvd, so it doesn't flow very well but it's OK esp if you are just wanting to get only one dvd.

The hour long toning dvd I don't do because it's so slow it gets on my nerves and I can get more work done faster on my own because I know this genre of workout so well.

HTH
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 03:36 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I have the two Callanetics Evolution ones incl the Cardio. I like the Cardio but unfortunately the first 10 minutes (approx) are squats and lunges so because of my knees, I have to substitute other movements until they get to the rest of it unless I fast forward.

The hour long toning dvd I don't do because it's so slow it gets on my nerves and I can get more work done faster on my own because I know this genre of workout so well.

HTH
isn't it suppose to be slow on purpose though?

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-22-13, 03:46 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Do you see any similarities in Tracy Anderson's work that says she uses it?

In this article
TA is not like Callanetics or Lotte Berke. The latter uses smaller pulsing movements. TA wos uses a large ROM. So they compliment each other. Also, I only consider TA's Mat WO and possibly PDS 2 as barre wos. PDS 3 also has barre work but there are a lot of different floor movements like variations of planks too.

I have Callanetics Evolution but not the cardio one. I like CE when I want a barre wo with more stretching and it is slower than some other barre wos. So it has a calming effect.

Tags
barre, callanetics evolution