Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-20, 09:54 PM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Yes, this is #1 for me.
I also like to see modifiers if appropriate & good form from instructor & background exercisers
This too! I'm not as fit as I was a few years ago and I need to see someone modify a few moves.
Old 12-19-20, 09:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Linda, how does that work when you use your own music. Do you do the steps in time with the music or along with the instructor?
I create or use playlists that have music with beats per minute that match the workout..(Most workouts are 128-132 bpm).

Then I follow the instructor. It's real easy with workouts that you can mute the music (Cathe). But also not hard with so many workouts that have low music (Jessica Smith).

Ohh and yes yogapam ..Good form...how could I forget?

laurajhawk you're right .why are we all here if this workout stinks??

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 10:35 PM  
alisoncooks

The background/setting is pretty important to me. The workout can be amazing, but if it's super dated, or it's a YouTuber filming in a dark corner or something, it's immediately off putting.

Good cueing is also a must.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 10:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
This too! I'm not as fit as I was a few years ago and I need to see someone modify a few moves.
Yep, I’ve got some creaky spots, one of hazards of accumulating birthdays, lol!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 10:55 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Music. And warmups, none of this "do your own thing and join us to work out when you're warm". I can do a cooldown and stretch on my own, but I want the instructor to warm me up.
Old 12-20-20, 01:42 AM  
BunnyHop

I need a decent warmup at my speed. This usually means I do a CS workout first.

A frantic "warmup" just for the sake of saying they have a warmup to start things off is really disrespectful. It tends to throw off the pacing of everything else, anyway.

I also require good instruction. Simply telling me things isn't enough. I need to see somebody doing the whole move, start to finish. If the camera pans around too much and manages to miss the useful information I need, it's a deal breaker for me. Interesting camera work is all very well and good, but if it prevents me from having any idea what the moves are supposed to look like it is a waste of my time and money.

I'm not a dancer, and apparently I do best when I get reliable cuing all the time. Every move, not just at the start or whenever the instructor feels like it.

One workout that works for me despite errors in the camera work is Jari Love's original Get Ripped. The vocal instruction is correct, so I can overlook the fact that a few times what they show doesn't quite match what's being said.
Old 12-20-20, 08:49 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Modifications. Whether there is an actual modifier or the instructor shows options or points out where modifications can be made or does easily-modified moves, I don't care. But I want it to be easy to do my own thing. I don't insist on an actual modifier because so many of them are so bad/lame at it that's it's a distraction rather than a help.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 08:57 AM  
alisoncooks

I generally don't care much for most warmups because they're often as intense as the workout. (Cathe could make an entire beginner series by just compiling a bunch of her warmups!)

Cool down and stretch -- that's what I need. And none of this stretch to the left, stretch to the right, deeeep breath and you're done. Thanks but that does not cut it. I want to lay on the floor, stretch the actual parts we worked, and relax a bit.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 09:05 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I generally don't care much for most warmups because they're often as intense as the workout. (Cathe could make an entire beginner series by just compiling a bunch of her warmups!)
On days that I do not feel like doing anything too strenuous, I string together several of Cathe's warmups and do that. I have had some great workouts doing just Cathe's warmups.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 09:29 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
On days that I do not feel like doing anything too strenuous, I string together several of Cathe's warmups and do that. I have had some great workouts doing just Cathe's warmups.
horusosiris that's a great idea!!

Anna it's a pet peeve of mine when they say, "pay attention to.." and I CAN'T because you have managed to pan out and show everyone BUT the modifier

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workout must haves