Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-23, 08:25 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I could have written exactly what you did -- I eat nearly all plant-based, high fiber/low fat/mostly clean diet, exercise at least five hours a week, walk every day. I'm also over 50 but still in perimenopause (still regular cycles, so frustrating!).

My cholesterol and blood pressure both shot up in the past few years (and my TSH is also low) -- and my doctor (an older male who is a strict vegan/exercise fanatic) told me it's the drop in estrogen that's to blame (and probably genetics). Thankfully he's not quick to prescribe medication, but my bloodwork has been particularly depressing in the past few years. He's even joked that he wishes they'd change the "normal" range for women either entering menopause or a few years into menopause since nearly all of his patients have these problems. He told me to just keep up a healthy lifestyle and walk every day.
Lori,

Thanks for replying. I am sorry you are going through this too. I am so glad you have a knowledgeable and understanding doctor.

My blood pressure has always been fine. I hope that stays the same. I have not gotten my blood sugar results back yet. I have not had issues with that either..so far.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-23, 08:27 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
You could try eliminating all but 1 tablespoon of nuts/seeds/avocado a day and see if there is any improvement. Also, animal products less than 3 times a week should not affect your cholesterol. Good luck.
The nuts, seeds and avocado have the "good" fats. I don't understand the reason for eliminating them? I only use one TBS of seeds (flaxmeal or hemp) and one TBS of walnuts in my oatmeal, and don't eat avocado every day. I do put a few TBS of chia seeds when I make the batch of oatmeal, but that is distributed through all the servings.

Old 11-15-23, 08:28 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Oddly enough I just had my bloodwork done and even though I don’t eat as well as you or have thyroid issues, my LDLs were high. Oh, I am officially in menopause, too. We’re trying a more conservative approach to see if it changes in six months. Things I’m doing to try and lower it other than the dreaded diet word:

Niacin
HIIT
Generally more cardio (steady state) more intense than walking, but not running.

I hate cardio.
thanks for replying. I am not quite in menopause-I don't think. It is very close to a year without a "regular" cycle, but I have had some spotting once or twice (sorry TMI) over the last year.

I love cardio so I am fine with that, but I have actually increased my strength training since that is so important.

Old 11-15-23, 08:29 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Very similar situation as you Sherry. However, I do eat meat (only chicken or turkey) once a day and eat out once a week, so you're doing way better than me. Not in menopause but I am inching close to 50. It is very frustrating, and to have a doctor throw out "well, it could be race and genetics" wasn't comforting either lol!

What helped for me was taking fish oil supplements. I use Nordic Naturals. It hurts my feelings to take these, as they are expensive, but it's what my nutritionist recommended and it worked. No bad burpy, fishy aftertaste either. I'm still borderline high, but at least not high anymore.
Thanks for replying.

I do eat chicken or turkey generally once a day, just at dinner-not fried.

I am unsure about supplements since I take thyroid medication. I will ask my doctor her opinion about fish oil. Thank you.

Old 11-15-23, 08:30 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
this.

I recommend Janet Brill's book (library should have copies):

Cholesterol Down: Ten Simple Steps to Lower Your Cholesterol in Four Weeks--Without Prescription Drugs

There's also strong evidence that blood sugar affects cholesterol. I'm not saying you have high blood sugar, but if you can strive to lower it, it could lower your cholesterol. high blood sugar doesn't necessarily mean you're eating too many sweets, please note. other foods can increase your blood sugar.

That said, I have opted to follow Janet Brill's advice in addition to taking the lowest statin dosage. After 10 years of this, i have never needed to increase my dosage. I have been post-meno for over 5 years.

i was in the camp of "no, no, no, no meds" but think of your health and your family. there's no shame in taking a statin. i'm reading that inflammation and hardening of the arteries may have had a cumulative effect in my case.

you mention you were monitoring this since your twenties - me too - and over time some things cannot be deleted despite our best efforts in leading a healthful life and doing everything right.
thank you! I haven't gotten my blood sugar results back yet. I certainly hope they are okay. Sigh.

Old 11-15-23, 08:31 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Menopause itself can increase total cholesterol, according to my doc. My total went up without changes in my exercise or eating habits, nor did I gain weight permanently. Yes, it was (and is) a source of frustration! My HDL, however, has increased through the roof. Doc doesn’t recommend statins for me despite the high total number because of the HDL level. He knows how hesitant I am about taking any meds, and he’s not a Dr. Feelgood who wants to write a script for every little thing either. My levels didn’t change with any other medication change either, so I’m not sure that adjusting thyroid meds would give you the result that you want.

I agree with bzar, that taking statins (or any other med, for that matter) really isn’t the end of the world! Each medication has its own set of potential side effects (yes, thyroid meds definitely have them, so not sure that increasing that dosage is without risk or a solution to high cholesterol). High cholesterol, like other conditions (high blood pressure, for example) can also be your genetics. We can’t change that so please don’t beat yourself up for something you can’t impact!

Please discuss in detail with your doctor, as I’m sure you have already. We each have different situations, but she knows your health info better than we do. Good luck!!

ETA: please be careful about adding any supplements, as they can affect the med that you are on. I’m sure you are already aware of how tricky it is to take thyroid meds at the proper time and avoid taking certain supplements too close to the dose.
Thank you.

I would not add any supplements without checking with my doctor. I generally take vitamins with lunch or dinner.

Old 11-15-23, 01:07 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thank you.

I would not add any supplements without checking with my doctor. I generally take vitamins with lunch or dinner.
Sherry, I hope you don’t think I was lecturing you or implying that you weren’t educated about your own meds—I didn’t intend that at all. I was relating my own experience and what my doctor has told me.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-23, 01:29 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Sherry, I hope you don’t think I was lecturing you or implying that you weren’t educated about your own meds—I didn’t intend that at all. I was relating my own experience and what my doctor has told me.
Of course not! No worries.

Old 11-15-23, 01:36 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Of course not! No worries.
Thanks!! I am now super paranoid about inadvertently offending people and getting flamed (not that you were doing so).

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-23, 02:10 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Thanks for replying.

I do eat chicken or turkey generally once a day, just at dinner-not fried.

I am unsure about supplements since I take thyroid medication. I will ask my doctor her opinion about fish oil. Thank you.
Ah I wasn't aware that supplements could affect thyroid medication. My mom takes a blood pressure medication and I think she wasn't able to use rosemary oil with it, so I should have realized. Definitely check with your doctor!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol, hypothyroid, menopause, thyroid