Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-22, 02:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

foam roller: soft and squishy or hard and firm

i have had a hard and firm roller forever. i also have a firm cylinder yoga bolster.

do i need a soft/squishy style roller, the kind Sue Hitzmann uses in her Melt Method?

I've read her Melt Book a bit and like all of the instruction. I have the opportunity to buy an OPTP "Pro" one, and i read on Amazon about some issues with it:

1) if it gets wet, the blue dye comes off
2) it can split in half length-wise - it's actually 2 half rollers glued together.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-22, 02:24 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm a big fan of the soft and squishy sort, but I got one of the actual MELT rollers instead of the OPTP ones. It's great, but I never got mine wet, so I've no idea if the color would come off.
Old 07-30-22, 03:29 PM  
akaAnnie

I have one of the OPTP ones and its great but I've never gotten it wet.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-22, 03:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
I have one of the OPTP ones and its great but I've never gotten it wet.
Ditto.

I don't use mine often but I love it for my shins, which always seem to be tender. It's been quite a while since I used it so I don't remember if it was firm enough for me for other spots.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-22, 07:56 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I wouldn't try to do melt with a hard foam roller. I don't know about the amazon one you mention.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-22, 08:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Ditto.

I don't use mine often but I love it for my shins, which always seem to be tender. It's been quite a while since I used it so I don't remember if it was firm enough for me for other spots.
that's a good point about the shins. i just tried that move on my regular roller and i can tolerate it.

i have yet to actually try doing Sue's moves using the regular roller to see whether all moves are compatible with it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 07-31-22, 12:54 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
... i have yet to actually try doing Sue's moves using the regular roller to see whether all moves are compatible with it.
It's my understanding that no, MELT type work should not be done on a hard roller. The soft roller is part of what helps it work the way that it does.
MELTing should be painless.

If you're aiming for some other sort of body work, give it a try?

Oh, and IIRC, I think I remember her saying definitely not to do the spinal MELT work with a hard roller.
Old 07-31-22, 01:16 PM  
Floren

Hi I have both a hard roller and a soft squishy melt roller, and I love them both.

The soft one is great for more tender spots like IT band on the side leg, or when I haven't rolled a particular muscle in a while to get the muscle used to rolling again. I use them both all the time.

Sorry I can't help you with the brand you are asking about. I have the hard roller from Perform Better, and the soft squishy one is the Melt roller.

So my vote is YES, you do need a soft/squishy style roller
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-22, 01:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
Hi I have both a hard roller and a soft squishy melt roller, and I love them both.

The soft one is great for more tender spots like IT band on the side leg, or when I haven't rolled a particular muscle in a while to get the muscle used to rolling again. I use them both all the time.

Sorry I can't help you with the brand you are asking about. I have the hard roller from Perform Better, and the soft squishy one is the Melt roller.

So my vote is YES, you do need a soft/squishy style roller
Thank you this was useful information.

i have 2 heavy-duty cylindrical yoga bolsters. i can't remember the other brand, but one of them is Hugger Mugger. i'm going to see how far i get with all 3 tools. i noticed that Sue's most recent Melt Method book (2019, red), she uses 2 rollers. i haven't read that one yet, but i requested it.

Old 07-31-22, 04:47 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
... i noticed that Sue's most recent Melt Method book (2019, red), she uses 2 rollers.
How did I miss this book coming out?? Scurried off to order, and now I'm back to say thanks for mentioning it. Whee!

Tags
foam roller, foam rollers, foam rolling, melt method