Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-24-22, 07:26 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - I Love the Idea of Shutting Up, But I Don't Think It's For Me. 7/24

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 07:59 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm back! Got home last night - drove the scenic route using country highways and up next to the Mississippi River, but ran into storms at the Wisconsin border that got pretty scary. The roads got so wet that my car slid on the water a few times! Not fun when you're on a curvy road next to a drop-off into the river!

Our weather has cooled off significantly since the storms - yay! It's just beautiful outside right now! I'll be taking a walk and doing stuff in my back yard today. Tomorrow is my visit to choose a unit for the co-op! Can't wait!

Things went OK with the funeral - just a get-together with family and friends at the funeral home visiting the corpse - no service. I didn't know anyone so just chatted a bit with people around me asking how they knew my SIL's dad. I'm not aware of drama, but supposedly some relatives showed up after years of abandonment of the family and hoping for some inheritance from the estate... yeah.

Laura, glad you were able to find a good GP! I should make my regular check-up appointment with my doctor for September now...

Paula, you sound like you're trying out beds at the bear's house looking for a good fitting backpack purse . Are you returning the two you bought? How cool to see the hummingbird! Supposedly they come to my neighbor's feeder, but I haven't seen them in my yard for a long time - fall migration is when they are most numerous around here. I can see you attaching a little pocket flashlight to your purse for exploration activities in your purse . I actually have a little portable closet light from IKEA that would work for that .

Vantreesta, I used to use a chest strap HRM for biking and that worked well - anything I did in bootcamps or circus, with lots of bending in different directions would cause the HRM to not record properly. I haven't used one now for a long time, but friends use the Apple watches for their HRMs. Sorry about the history of pancreatic cancer in the area you used to live - if interested, contact your government health department (probably state level) in that area and ask if they've looked for a pattern - you'd want to talk to a health department epidemiologist.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-24-22, 10:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Anita - Thanks for getting us started. I came to see if you had gotten back or if I needed to start the thread. Your trip back sounds like it was good until it was . I'm glad you made it through the storm okay and got home. Tomorrow is THE DAY! I hope you can find a unit that you would love to live in.

We lost power last evening towards the tail end of the storm that moved through and it came back on about 3 hours later. Fortunately, it had cooled down in the aftermath of the storm. We certainly needed the rain. It's another hot day here, but not quite as bad yesterday, high of 95 with a "feels like" over 100. I hope Anita's cool down is headed south east.

Today should be a lazy-ish day. I do need to cook for DH and I'll do that for dinner. Other than that, I hope to relax some today.

Paula - When looking for bags, it's always something. I don't like deep bags for the same reason - I can't find anything below the surface. Did the yoga help the pain? I hope you find somehting to ease it.

Vantreesta - haha. That sounds like a goood pairing - Frankenstein and a storm.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 08:25 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 13 Cardio/Tone and Yoga with Tim Daily Stretch.

Today was groceries and food prep. I don't know how it happened that we got to a place where we seem to need a lot of stuff. I mean we go shopping every week, but today we went to Target and got a bunch of stuff, went to Ralphs and got a full grocery cart. Tomorrow we're going to Costco and Trader Joes. Whew, I hope that holds us for a while. Geez there's only two of us, how can we eat out as much as we do and need groceries at this level.

Anita, thanks for getting us started, once again, I love the theme. Glad the funeral went OK, also glad you avoided any family drama over money. People are amazing, not always in a good way. Your description of driving in a rain storm was scary all by itself. Glad you got home safe and sound. I can tell you're excited for tomorrow - I hope they have something available that is exactly what you're looking for. I'll be anxious to hear all about it tomorrow. Yes, I'm in the Goldilocks dilema with the backpack purses and yes I am going to return the two I bought.

Vantreestra, I used a HRM that strapped around my chest years ago. It was a bit of a pain to put on and use and I eventually just stopped using it. I've never gotten another monitor of any kind since. I know the FitBit and Apple Watchs monitor all sorts of things for you. It might be interesting but don't know how I'd actually use the information. I mean it tells you if you've had a good night's sleep but don't you know that anyway? At 71, I'm just glad I'm able to get up every morning and get some exercise. I'm just trying to stay healthy. People on both sides of my family live into their 90's. I've noticed those who stay in some level of shape and keep a healthy BMI have a better old age. Those that have a painful, debilitating old age. I've decided living into deep old age is due more to genetics than lifestyle (at least in my family) I know which group I want to be in.

Laura, glad the heat finially broke. Hope you enjoyed your lazy day of cooking. Sounds like you had the beginning of a horror movie too - dark storm and the the power goes off (think scary music here). Don't know if I'm getting pickier or what but it does always seem like something with purchases. I'm pickier about clothing (gratefully I don't need professional clothes anymore), purses, shoes, well everything. Maybe that's everyone at this age - we just know what we want and what we like in a way that we didn't when we were younger. Now that I give this some thought, duh, it's called experience.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-22, 07:07 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm excited to go in and make my choice of a unit in the adult co-op I'm interested in! That will be early afternoon. Before that, I'll do some yard work and enjoy this cooler weather up here - I love that! Other than that, planning on putzing around and running some errands.

Laura, sorry about your power outage - glad it didn't cause too many problems. I do hope this cool front (despite the storms it came with) reaches you on the east coast!

Paula, yeah, I have those weeks when I need to buy a lot of groceries, but frankly I'm no where near my costs when Adelija lived here! Geez, the girl ate more than three times what I ate! Yeah, Adelija has the skinny genetics - she ate more unhealthily than me, yet was about half my weight - never dieted... never exercised... Pretty eye opening though on what having the skinny genes does - I'm not listening to those that say their program controls your weight - I say it's in the genes! I don't buy a lot of clothing these days and keep it simple when I do. I did wear a dress I had bought many years ago for the funeral - worked wonderfully - first time I've worn it. I should go in and buy replacement bras as they're getting pretty worn, but that's about all I have in the "buy" category.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-25-22, 03:24 PM  
sciencelady

Woohoo! I got the unit I most wanted at the co-op! http://www.theamericanonphalen.com/_...ddcca42f99.pdf Looks like I'm #9 on sales, so they need to sell more to get to 37 units which will cause the groundbreaking to occur - it'll probably be around spring of 2024 that the unit will be completed.
Old 07-25-22, 07:48 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today just melted away. I went to the YMCA this morning, got a good workout in, and saw Mom and Dad. This afternoon, I got some stuff done around the house and made some cards.

Anita - That looks like a great unit! Can you see two ways from the balcony? The second bedroom is a pretty good size and you have a den and laundry in the unit. Congrats on getting the unit you wanted. On the question of genes, whaaatttt???? You mean it's NOT just moving more and eating less?

Paula - The heat came right back. We hit 95 degrees today and most of the week will be that hot. We are supposed to have one cool day when it will hit "only" 89 degrees. We buy a lot of groceries, too, and I've wondered the same thing. Part of the problem about knowing what I like is that it's not trendy, which makes it harder to find!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-25-22, 08:14 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a long Yin Yoga practice with Travis Eliot and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Today was more errands, mostly groceries. We went to Costco, then TJ Maxx to return the two backpacks, then to CPK for lunch. After lunch went to Trader Joes, got home and put all that stuff away. Then I made a big pot of marinara sauce for the freezer and a pasta salad to have with dinner tonight (and hopefully some left over for tomorrow night). Now I'm sitting in the living room while DH watches aviation videos. I'm tired and enjoying just sitting.

Anita, cngratulations on getting the unit you want! The layout looks perfect - comfortable, functional, and all on one level. A perfect size too - it's larger than my condo and having that extra room for a den and an inside laundry room is really nice. The balcony looks a good size too - you can probably have plants out there if you want. You'll have a hard time waiting for them to complete the project so you can move in. I think with Adelija staying slender, it's probably more than skinny genes - youth helps too. I never had to watch my weight when I was her age, but sadly that didn't last.

Laura, sounds like you had a nice day. Well darn, too bad that rain didn't cool things down for long. I'm always envious when you talk about meeting your Mom and Dad at the Y, it sounds like fun to me. I'm also envious when you talk about making cards. I keep eyeing my sewing machine intending to sit down and work on my latest quilt but it doesn't seem to happen. I need to set a goal and say I'll do at least 30 minutes sewing every day - those small bites of work add up.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-22, 07:28 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I have a trip to the dentist planned today - regular checkup and cleaning. Otherwise planning on putzing around and enjoying this cooler weather - it may become a bit rainy today. My lawn hasn't been mowed in several weeks - only stuff growing is weeds, so they become easy to pull when they're a foot over the ground.

Laura, I love my unit - hope it is as good as the plan is right now. Yes, the sun room and porch face north, but get a bit of eastern morning sun and western afternoon sun. Right now, I do have a north facing porch also, so I know the light that's possible there without the baking from the south. I might be able to get a glimpse of the lake from the eastern windows in my bedroom, but frankly, it's just a dark area at night. I like that this unit is far away from the party deck on the roof, away from garage traffic, and not much road traffic noise.

Paula, I'll probably be doing some pasta and marinara sauce this week also . The balcony is a good size, but not enough to accomodate my table and four chairs that are on my porch now - I'll try to leave those for the next owner of my house. I'll probably get a porch couch or lounge chair for out there as I'll have my dining set in the sunroom right next to the porch. I'll have to see how windy it is out there on the porch - they did say it's not likely I'll get many mosquitoes out there that high though. You can sew in bites of time - I pull weeds in bites of time .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-26-22, 05:54 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today has been kind of weird. We got bursts of rain throughout the day, some of it pretty heavy, until the late afternoon. We had temps in the 80s and then it cooled off into the 70s during the rain this afternoon and now it's back into the 80s. Polly had to spend most of the day in the house because we never knew when it would start to rain again. In the late afternoon, she sounded pretty pathetic as she asked to go outside and we let her go. She has such a hard life!

I was really out of it when I got up, so I laid down and slept another hour. It really helped. I got the kitchen cleaned up some. In the afternoon, I took DH to get his hair cut and on the way home we picked up a pizza for me. Fpr my birthday, Mom and Dad gave me some 50% off (or buy one/get one free) coupons for various restaurants I like and some money to spend using them. I'm trying to stretch them out and buy food for me when I just don't feel like cooking. Today was one of those days.

Paula - I can go several days without working on cards. Here recently, I've been doing that instead of things around the house I should be doing instead, so I may do less in the near future. I've almost finished using all the paper I laid out to use when I first started making this batch, so it may be a while before I do more. At least until things get more organized around the house. I hope you find some extra time to work on your sewing. It sounds like it's time for that to happen!

Anita - It's great you got a quiet location. To me, that's worth a lot. Between the balcony and the screened in area, it sounds like you have options for how to arrange things. That's one of the things about the unit you got - it gives you options. And if you can't see the lake, that gives you someplace to walk to.

Laura's Workout Mantras: