Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-11, 03:10 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Exclamation Brazil Butt Lift: Comparisons/Exercise Breakdowns?

Despite all the threads awhile back about Brazil Butt Lift, there are almost NO reviews of these, and very little discussion of the actual exercises included in the workouts!

I am particularly interested in a comparison between High & Tight and Bum Bum. I know that High & Tight has several different segments, including floorwork (there is one review for H&T under the reviews section), but I would really like to more about what the standing segment involves. Similarly, I've read that Bum Bum has a strong cardio effect, but what is it actually like? What kind of moves does it include? Is it all standing?

If someone could offer exercise breakdowns/submit reviews, I'd be very grateful!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 03:21 PM  
counterclockwise

I have recently become interested in BBL (me being the bubble butt poster child) and I would love to know this, too! Someone gifted me Bum Bum and I should have it today. I can at least let you know on that one!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 03:30 PM  
Fit Mommy

Bum bum is basically squats, lunges and more squats and lunges. It moves fast hence the cardio effect...but it's nothing special IMO. And most of the exercises have been done before in a better fashion on many other DVDs....besides of course his signature move the ipanema walk or whatever it's called which is basically another variation on a lunge.

I forgot to add that bum bum is an all standing workout. No floor work in this one and it's only about 35 minutes in length.

Hope that helps!
Fit Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 05:07 PM  
zumzum

I've never done a formal breakdown, but in a nutshell:

The standing section in High and Tight uses a band around your feet for added resistance. You start off moving laterally side to side, working the outside of the thighs, with some variations. Following exercises include tapping with one foot towards the back (extending the leg all the way behind you), a series of side leg lifts (with a squat in between), and tapping to the front, side and back. I find that it really gets to the outside of the thigh, along with the rear. It's mostly very slow and controlled, so there isn't a cardio effect.

Bum Bum has a lot of variations on lunges and squats at a fairly fast pace, along with some plies, passés, arabesques, and a couple of moves loosely based off of brazilian martial arts and/or dance. Kind of a mix between variations on fast-pased standard body weight exercises and some dance-based moves. It starts slow with plies, but he breaks out the lunges about 5 minutes in and my heart rate goes through the roof. Very effective toning/cardio combination. I don't have a lot of "traditional" dvds, so this was a great addition to my collection.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 05:19 PM  
slysam

From memory...

Bum Bum reminded me a little of Tonique. As I recall it had some squats and lunges. It also had some jump squats and burpees, some dancey moves similar to some I've learned in Samba class some martial arts inspired moves. It moved fast so it elevated my heart rate.

High and Tight had some standing and moving exercises with a looped band around the feet. Some of the moves reminded me a bit of barre or v-core but no barre is used. Then it is floor work-- first using the band an then on all fours with ankle weights. Some of the floor work reminded me of the Pretzil/Clam Combo in Squeeze Stronger but there was a little more. High and Tight uses all the glutes (med, max, min), hamstrings, inner and outer thighs and I really didn't feel much of anything in the quads.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 06:06 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Bum Bum target the big major muscles, your glutes and hamstrings, with a lot of deep squat variations and lunge variations (often touching the floor to get you REALLY low into the movement). High and Tight targets your hip rotators and inner/outer thighs; those little muscles that Pilates stuff really gets to. So the two of them together really target your whole lower body very effectively.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 06:15 PM  
Fitmama

Bum Bum:
This whole workout is fast paced and you never stop moving, one move just transitions to the next right away. There is a modifier showing a low impact and/or less advanced version of most moves.

Warm up is about 2 minutes long and consists of plies with feet wide apart. There is some variation of tempo and pulses. Then, still in plie, you lift your heels for some reps and pulse.

Passe Kick Backs: Stand on one leg, lift the other foot to the knee and lift back. This move is like a slow attitude. Several reps then short pulses.

Front Kick w/ rear lunge.

Walking Ipanema: Basically this is a reverse lunge then rear leg transitions to front lunge. (Only one leg moves the whole time.

Passe Kick back otherside.
Front kick w/ lunge otherside.
Walking Ipanema otherside.

Squat Touch to left side, then add shoulder roll. This becomes squat knee up, then squat to side, knee-up, lunge back combo.

Squat/arabesque alternating sides.

Squat Touch to right side, then add shoulder roll. This becomes squat knee up, then squat to side, knee-up, lunge back combo.

Side lunge knee-up right side. This becomes Grab & Throw where you plant your feet, lunge to side then come up and rotate torso to left.

Curtsey lunge 4 each side x about 4 sets.

Side lunge, knee-up then Grab & Throw on left side.

Squat reach up. Several reps.

Cocorina (4 count squat: squat low then reach for heels or place hands on floor behind you then come up)

Squat lunge back alternating sides which becomes Burbees w/ a jump.

Paso Doble Lunge (alternating forward lunges becomes plyo lunges if you want)

Side to side taps, then add side kick to one side then becomes a squat side kick. Do this on the otherside.

High Heels (march in a plie with lifted heels) then travel side to side in this poistion.

Afro Brazilian lunge: lunge to side and pulse/bounce while moving arms, alternate sides back and forth.

Single side to side lunges with air.

Knee pulls then, leap side to side (skaters) then do otherside.

Shake your booty (football runs) becomes 4 Frog jumps forward (plyo squats) and then shake your booty back 4 steps. There are about 4 sets of these.

Capoeira - sit in low squat, lunge one foot back, bring it back then the other side. Several sets.

Side to side taps.

Shake your booty (football runs) in a circle.

Cooldown is about 5 minutes - all standing
Knee to chest stretch, quad/ hip flexor stretch, ankle crossed over knee stretch, forward bend stretch then other side.

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 06:39 PM  
Fitmama

High and Tight:

Standing Section With Band (Since my BBL band snapped last year I do this with ankle weights instead)
Through out the whole workout he generally does a set of approx. 8 slow then another set at tempo then a set of short pulses.
No real warmup
You start standing with band around your feet not your ankles.

Side to side step while keeping tension on band. Then he teaches you accordian abs and arms then you add it all together. Basically a standing crunch while stepping side to side.

Leg Push Back: Stand on one leg, the other foot touches floor close behind you then farther away. This becomes Push The Air where you don't touch the toe to the ground but keep it in the air. Then you balance and pulse the leg up and down.
Then do other side.

Squat Side Leg Lift 4x then other side then again with about 16 reps each side.

123 Together: Stand on one leg, touch other toe out to side then in front then behind you then return feet together. Alternate sides. (I feel nothing from these and since I have ankle weights on I do slow front kicks instead).

Floor Work With Band Section: (Because my band snapped, and hit me in the face I might add, I also do this section with ankle weights: one on each ankle and one around the knee of my top leg).

Start lying on one side with band around knees.

Leg lifts. Lift both legs together and hold. Then you do leg lifts for top leg (outer thigh)
then hold top leg up and lift bottom leg to it (inner thigh).

Clam Shell: Bend legs and keep feet together while lift the top knee up and down. First set with feet on floor, Second set with feet suspended in air.

Corkscrew: You lean slightly forward from your side lying position and turn your top leg so your knee is on the floor and heel is straight up, then lift vertically up and down.

Then do the whole thing on the other side.

He adds in some stretches on your back here. Knee to chest and ankle crossed over your knee.

Floor Work with Ankle Weights Section:
This section is all on hands and knees with ankle weights on each ankle. Each exercise is done about 8 times then up tempo for 8 then short pulses. He goes into childs pose for a few seconds between each exercise.

Kneeling leg lift. One leg is bent about 90 degrees and lift up and down.

Kneeling Cross Kick Up. Same as above but on the down you cross the knee over the opposite calf then up.

Straight Leg Lift. Lift a straight leg up and down.

Straight Leg Cross Over. Same as above but on the down you cross your leg over the opposite calf. "upside down V shape" as he puts it.

Kneeling Diagonal Rainbow. Start with leg straight and diagonally out to side then make a half circle shape up over and down crossing over the opposite calf.

Then do all this on the other side.

Next you move on to inner thigh work. Lying on your side with top leg bent and the foot behing the bottom knee. Lift bottom knee up and down. Then he does circles to the front then circles to the back. Repeat on the other side.

Cool down is a few stretches on your back: Knee to chest, and spiral back twist.

Live Kidney Donor April 2014 - Donate and save a life!
Fitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 07:28 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Tracy, thanks so much for the detailed breakdowns of both workouts--you should add those to the reviews section! (Both workouts are already listed there.)

Susan, thanks for the comparison on which muscles are targeted. I think that with my barre & Pilates workouts, I have a lot of DVDs which do what High & Tight does, but not as many that are like Bum Bum.

zumzum, sylsam, and fitmommy, I appreciated your thoughts as well.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-11, 11:28 AM  
KathAL79

I just want to echo Beth's recommendation that all of you should cut and paste your posts into the VF reviews! Here are the direct links:
Bum Bum
High & Tight
If you haven't submitted a review before or haven't used the new system yet, you'll have to register (this is just to make sure it's VFers and not spammers submitting reviews); Lisa C explains the process in the FAQs.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbl, brazil butt lift, bum bum, clam, high and tight, leandro carvalho, pretzel