Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-31-22, 07:37 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - It's Hard to Save Money When Food Is Always Flirting With Me. 7/31

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-22, 08:09 AM  
sciencelady

Thanks, Laura, for the title! We'll need a new list of titles for the next two months! Having the title list makes starting threads on Sundays soooooooo much easier!

Yesterday was hot but not too humid, so it was tolerable - humidity comes today making things pretty miserable. I think this area will break a record in days over 90 degrees this year .

I went to Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris yesterday! It was fun to be cooled off in a movie theater and I enjoyed that movie . I don't think I could relate to falling in love with a gown, but it was a fun film anyways.

Today I'll be putzing around the house and garden - nothing specific. Maybe mowing off the long grass and weeds poking up over the grass - I haven't mowed in over a month now because of the drought.

Laura, so you use canned salmon for your meals? I sometimes buy fillets of salmon, but they get expensive quickly. I should try canned salmon and making and patting patties in some crumbs fo a crust. Do they hold together enough for roasting on a grill? I think my current dishes are about a pound apiece - Ha! Just weighed them and they are 2 lbs 5 1/4 ounces apiece! I'm debating on my dishes for the future co-op apartment - current ones would have a hard time with the counter and wall colors there. I might just paint walls there to remind me of home here. I've got the blue/brown going in my current dishes also .

Vantreesta, pop in when you can! I'm glad you got some gardening in before the heat strikes again this week! So what is Halloween brain?

Paula, glad the new TV is working out for you. You do need it pretty portable to get through your workouts. Just something new to get used to... I don't think I've ever had a dog pee on the AC unit outside - doubt they would read the warning sign . I've got a lot of plants that haven't bloomed at all this year - our drought is very bad in this area. I haven't done a lot of watering of the outdoor beds - kind of testing survival in the plants.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 07-31-22, 03:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today has been a lazy-ish day. I made some cards this morning after we virtually attended church. This afternoon, I ran several errands. I need to do some preparation for Tuesday when I go to a law firm to train people who are switching from WordPerfect to Word. I didn't even know WP is still around! Back in the day, I did quite a bit of training at law firms doing this switch, but that has been a while, so I need to do a little bit of preparation.

It POURED in the late morning / early afternoon. We brought Polly in and, once the thunder started, she accepted that she needed to stay in. Once the sun came out, we let her back out. We may have to bring her in this evening if the second round of storms hit.

Anita - Thanks for the reminder on the themes. I had forgotten that after I told you I'd work on them. To make salmon cutlets, I follow the basic recipe below:

o Open the can of salmon and get rid of the bones and skin. Put in a bowl and mix with sauce.

o To make sauce on stove, put 5T of flour, 3T of butter, 1C of milk, and any spices you might want in your salmon cutlets in pan. Heat on medium heat stirring until it thickens quite a bit. You want it thick enough that when mixed with the salmon, they will stay as defined balls instead of a fluid mess.

o Beat 2-3 eggs with fork in one bowl and put crushed crackers in another container. Use a spoon to scoop out salmon mixture and shape into a ball-ish shape. Drop in eggs and then coat in crackers.

o Heat oil in fry pan. Cook on each side until browned.

Paula - It sounds like you can make the TV work. Hope the weekend was restful for you.

Vantreesta - Show up when you can. We love to see you. And I know how the days can just melt away. Hope your August is less busy, regardless!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-22, 03:46 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We Need Some Maxine

It has been a while since I pulled up some Maxine quotes to make into themes. So, with the exceptions of Labor Day and 9/11, here she goes:

Crone Cronies-Coincidence: I Have Firewood. My Neighbor Lost an Adirondack Chair. 8/7

Crone Cronies - The Best Things in Life Are Free. For Example, My Opinions! 8/14

Crone Cronies - If You Want Something Done Right, Pay Someone to Do It! 8/21

Crone Cronies - Some People Can Have ALL the Lights On and Still Be In the Dark. 8/28

Crone Cronies - You Aren't Paid for Having a Head and Hands, But For Using Them. 9/4

Crone Cronies - What We Can Learn From 9/11: Life Is Short With No Time for Hate 9/11

Crone Cronies - With the Cost of Living, I Live Only on Alternate Weekdays. 9/18

Crone Cronies - Unlimited Texts and Data! Oh Look! Unlimited Hidden Fees! 9/25

Crone Cronies - Totaled Up My Fall Fun Budget. I'll Be Going to a Movie. 10/2

Crone Cronies - Time to Get Going! Today's Bad Decisions Won't Make Themselves. 10/9

Crone Cronies - I Paid $1.39 for Gas! Too Bad It Was at Taco Bell. 10/16

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-31-22, 08:32 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 20 Walking with Weights and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Grocery day and food prep. I also got some gardening done. We needed to go to Target for a few things, there's a Lowes next door to it. I ended up wandering around the Lowes garden section spotted a rose tree in the clearance section - actually they had three rose trees, two yellow roses and a coral one. The coral one was telling me strongly that it wanted to come home with me so we ended up have to put this tree in the car - taking up a lot of space before we went to Target and Ralphs. Getting the groceries in around it was a challenge. I've it good,soaked it - it was really dry - but now I have to figure out where I'm going to put it and get a big pot for it.

Anita, Thanks for getting us started. The reality of the theme is "it's hard to save money when the quanity in the bo keeps going down". A can of DH's coffee that used to be 16 ounces went to 12 ounces and is now 10 ounces. They didn't raise the price they just got sneaky on the quanity - I've noticed that on many things, thus making it hard to save money. This is a dry area which is why I have most of my plants in containers. I do have to water they regularly but it takes less water this way, or at least that's what the Water Company tells us. I've never heard of that movie but I usually enjoy going to lunch and a movie. I can't imagine falling in love with a gown either.

Laura, Hope your training goes well. I hope the rain broke the heat spell. I suspect Polly was happy to have a comfortable place to get in out of the rain. If she isn't she's forgotten how hard life can be outside.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 07:02 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on participating in a Zoom meeting with veterinary toxicologists across the US - so much nicer than going to the meeting and only having about ten people in the meeting. Afterwards, this is supposed to be a Top 10 Day here weatherwise, so planning on a nice walk. Might stop by the grocery store also.

Laura, thanks for the title list! Sounds like you'll have some good teaching this week! Thanks also for the salmon patty recipe! I'll have to try that one of these days. Sounds like Polly is happy having a roof over her head when it rains .

Paula, Nice to find that rose tree! Sounds beautiful! Hope it recovers from it's dryness and continues to bloom for you! I'm noticing the grocery downsizing and the price increases also - things that would normally last me a week or two like a bag of coffee is running out much faster now .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 08-01-22, 11:37 AM  
Vantreesta

My August plan is running, CLX and PT.

Yesterday we went to a small Ren fest in WI and had a really nice day. I was so thankful for the breeze and decent cloud cover we had for the most part bc the temp was pretty high. I did get a little sunburned though.

Anita, I suppose I wasn't really posting here last year so you guys don't know about my Halloween obsession and elaborate decorations! It's funny, when I used to do a ton of Christmas baking I would start my spreadsheet and planning in August. I haven't done that for years but now I start planning for Halloween around mid-July! Baseball and thinking of Halloween are what get me through summer bc I hate the heat.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 06:08 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

This morning, I went to the YMCA and got in a good strength workout. Toward the end of my time, Mom and Dad got there and I walked with Dad and sat on a bench with Mom. It was nice to catch up with them some. I haven't seen them much since the trip to WV in June. It has been a weird time. But, it feels like life might be headed back to a more normal rhythm after this week. We have cleaners coming on Thursday morning and we are trying to declutter so they have places to clean.

Paula - It sounds like your rose plant was a real find. I hope it comes back okay from being so dry. I had to smile at the image of you driving around with it in your car and the space you needed around it. It is a bit cooler today, but the coming days will see the temperature increase every day until we're back in the high 90s. What we're supposed to get a break from is the rain/storms every day. The chance of rain this week is very low and they predict we won't get any until next week.

Vantreesta - I have never been much into Halloween, but enjoy living vicariously through people who do it up right. I look forward to your stories. Years and years ago (decades), DH and I would bake Christmas cookies. We'd take off an early Friday in the season and start cooking. We would cook all day Friday, Saturday, and then finish up on Sunday with cooking and packaging the cookies. We'd give them out at work and church and in the neighborhood. We'd ship them to people. It was fun. Then he was diagnosed as gluten sensitive and we stopped. He would have likely had a reaction just breathing the air we would have that weekend.

Anita - I hope your Top 10 weather day came through and you got outside into it. And, I hope your meeting went well. It's really nice to have the option to meet virtually.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 08-01-22, 08:45 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Happy August 1st! Another month bites the dust.

Good evening. Workout this morning was Karen Voight's Pure and Simple Stretch. DH and I went to Dana Point Marina and did a hilly walk there. Absolutely beautiful by the ocean.

After we got home from Dana we took out a Lantana tree I had in a big pot. I'd gottten disgusted with the Lantana because it always had something - black spot or fungus or bugs - just tired of babysitting it. So when I saw the rose tree my mind said - get rid of the Lantana and replace it with this. Of course it was the hottest part of the day and we were sweating and swearing but we got it done.

When we go to Dana we usually have lunch with a friend, we called him last night to see if he wanted to do lunch today. Well he had just tested positive for COVID and is isolating. Asked if he needed us to go shopping and bring him anything and he said "no" at least not right now, maybe later. Actually he is the first of our friends to get it. He's had the vaccines and at least one booster, he says it isn't bad so far - no worse than a cold, mostly runny nose and sore throat.

Anita, the zoom meeting sounds interesting - nice to attend when you don't have to travel anywhere. I hope the rose tree is sucking up water too. I tried to give it a lot of water to help it get started. I guess product downsizing is everywhere. Hope you got your beautiful day.

Vantreestra, sounds like a good exercise plan for August. DH and I used to go to the Ren Faire years ago. When they moved the location to further away and to a venue that's generally hotter, we quit going. I know there are people who drive long distance to attend. It must have been a distance for you - in WI instead of MN or is that close to where you are? My MIL (who is gone now) used to bake like that at Christmas. I have a cousin whose rum cakes are coveted Christmas gifts, he starts baking in October. I worked with a guy who was really into Halloween. He and his wife used to really decorate and have big Halloween parties. I generally bake some pumpkin bread to give at Christmas but never on a big scale. When my niece lived nearby I made peanut butter fudge for her every year - she LOVED my peanut butter fudge. Well this is a long winded way of saying I'm too lazy to do much at the holidays and DH and I are holiday duds. But I am with Laura, I love to live vicarously through others - so what are your plans for this year's Halloween?

Laura, glad to hear your parents are doing well after having COVID and back into going to the gym. In addition to struggling with that rose tree in the car yesterday we had to vacuum the back seat and the floor today. Buying that tree was a bit of an adventure. If I'd known we could have taken the Transit which has alot more space than the Forester. I was impressed we got the tree into the Forester without damage to either. I'm with you, I like living vicariously through other people's holiday events. It's sad your holiday tradition of production line cookie baking had to end. But maybe you're like me now - fewer people to bake for now anyway?
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 07:40 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on a very hot day today . I also have a hair cut appointment this afternoon - I might do my walking over at the mall near the hair place. I'll also stop by the Trader Joe's out there. Otherwise a pretty quiet day planned.

Vantreesta, glad you got out to the Ren Fest - did you dress as the belly dancer again? I don't think my belly has ever seen the sunshine, so I'd probably be very sunburned if I dressed like that . I think we must be one of the next Ren Fest sites - ours opens August 20th! So what do you do in preparation for Halloween?

Laura, glad you are able to get back with your folks after Covid - I've got friends in Milwaukee with Covid now. We can still do our videos, but they're unable to take care of their parents. My weather here yesterday was gorgeous - low humidity and warm. We could use some good days with rain - seems like whenever rain comes through it barely wets the grass . My lawn is crunchy...

Paula, I'm glad you got your tree rose home OK - I'm already wondering how I'll try to move a jade plant I have when my co-op is done - it's huge and hangs about two feet below the container it's planted in and is about two feet above the container also. It was my mom's plant so I do take a lot of care for it. Branches are pretty brittle and not very flexible, so anticipating a lot of breakage . I'm not much of a baker either - I kind of miss Adelija's sessions here.

Waves to all!

Anita