Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-12, 01:54 PM  
marmact

Halfway through 2012 - what kind of results have you seen?

This morning I was thinking about the fact that we're halfway through 2012 here. I looked back over my (sloppy, I wish I kept better fitness records) journal for the last six months and realized that I have already exceeded some of my personal goals for this year.

Here's what I have accomplished so far:
  1. I got my workout mojo back.*
  2. I managed to get the D word under control.
  3. I finished 12 weeks of a Venus Index rotation (longest rotation I've ever completed; before that, my rotations generally crapped out at about the 10-week point).
  4. I lost about 15 pounds and countless inches.

*This was the most important goal to me, as I fell off the workout wagon for a couple of years and was sporadic with exercise at best. I was also eating whatever, and my weight was spiraling out of control. I also want to mention that this really started in the latter half of 2011, when I got back into working out by doing a 30-day, 65-mile Leslie challenge. I don't really do her workouts much now because she drives me sort of bonkers but I give Leslie a lot of credit for helping me get back into the habit. Her workouts have so little dread factor for me, and they got me away from that terrible paralysis analysis, where I would stupidly stare at my workout collection for 30 minutes, and give up and not do anything. Once I got back into the daily habit, I was able to move back to more challenging workouts. Now I feel like I'm nearly back to where I used to be (high inter/low advanced).

What has YOUR year looked like so far? Have you met any of the goals you set for yourself at the beginning of the year? Have you changed direction? Are you happy with your progress so far?
marmact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 02:20 PM  
rose181

I'm also very pleased with my half year progress. I have been off the fitness wagon because of a new baby (who is now almost three!) My workouts have been so off and on until now.

I'm most pleased with:

1. Starting back with my 5am workout habit.
2. Being fit enough for my advanced workouts (although they're TOUGH!)
3. Working my way through most of my virgins. This has taken so long because most of them are advanced and I'm just now feeling ready to tackle them.

Great thread...I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's progress.
rose181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 02:24 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Congrats on your progress! It sounds like you are making good improvements.

My year so far is one of stabilization, getting life back under control. Late last year, we had a massive mold problem in our house and had to get out for 6 weeks; our lives were in total chaos. We got back into the house at the end of January, just in time to pack up again and go on vacation. We figured that vacation was the best timing ever (because we desperately needed the break) or the worst timing every (we had SO MUCH TO DO in the house). Days before we left, I found out the the contract I worked on was being cancelled. When I got back from vacation, I found out that the contract I worked on had been extended for 6 months and I launched a job search. After weeks of working pretty intently on the job job search, I got two job offers and I started at one of those companies last week.

Now that things have calmed down a lot, I feel like I have a chance to get back to some sort of rhythm to life other than working like a dog every minute of every day. The new job is closer to home, so I have more time in the morning. My goals are to workout for longer and choose a focus. I've been pretty scattered so far this year and my biggest accomplishment fitness-wise has been maintaining the exercise habit, even when I didn't work out for long and didn't expend a lot of effort.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 03:45 PM  
Blackadar

Massive results. In a good way.

I picked up the exercise again after the 2011 Holidays - a bad back sidelined me the latter part of 2011. But gaining 20 pounds last fall didn't help any and I was sluggish. So I started working on that other vital component in February - Diet. Using MyFitnessPal to track and help control what I eat, I'm finally learning how to eat for the first time in my life. I don't know if it's pathetic or not that someone in their 40s didn't know what or how to eat, but I didn't. I'm still learning, but I don't feel so damned ignorant about what I'm putting into my body.

Now I'm down 31 pounds since Feb. As the weight has come off, exercise has gotten increasingly easier, allowing me to push the envelope more. I can simply go longer, harder and better now. My 5k times have dropped 5 minutes since last year. My muscle definition is far superior. My feet, which have given me problems for a long time now, aren't a factor. I hiked 8 1/2 miles on Saturday. It was my 12 year old son who was dog tired at the end. I did Plyo the day before and I felt like I was flying when I jumped, rather than straining to just get off the ground.

Even last year doing two workouts seemed unthinkable. Now, it's not only possible, but I've done it on a number of occasions. I had to give my body a lot of rest before. Now, I can workout 6 or even 7 days a week without serious pain.

In a nutshell, for the first time in over 20 years, I feel pretty damn strong. I'm now to the point that I like giving this body a test drive and seeing what it can do because now it's generally up to the challenge. Coach Sean said become your own story of inspiration. I know it sounds a bit conceited, but I'm getting pretty close.

My goals for the rest of the year are pretty simple: continue to gain muscle mass without losing 5k time, lose 10-15 more pounds (and weigh less than I weighed when I got married 20 years ago) and continue to see where this road takes me.

But yeah, it's largely due to that bad word - Diet.
Old 06-11-12, 03:47 PM  
Fitstick

I have not seen the best results. I started the year with a P90X2 rotation that I did not finish (only made it to phase 3, I am rotation adverse but was also frustrated that I was having such a hard time with the moves) and then continued working out but did not clean up my diet. I have finally committed to cleaning up my diet and making some much needed changes in that area. I just started a CLX rotation and will be running my first half marathon next month. I hope the changes I am making now will help me see the efforts of all of my hard work. I feel like I always work hard & consistently in the workout department but there are other areas that sabattoge that hard work - need to get it under control!!!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 04:06 PM  
dela

This has been a GREAT year for me fitness and health wise.

I was sidelined by a back injury in late 2011, and had started gaining weight before that, which only got worse as my workouts dwindled to a little walking and classical stretch only (not knocking CS, but my body needs more intense stuff to stay fit).

In February I started both a sensible diet with a popular program and signed up for a fat loss challenge at my gym.
  • I dropped 13 pounds, all that I had gained. And plan on continuing for more
  • I lowered my cholesterol by over 50 points without drugs (only 3 were the good kind)
  • My fitness level is probably greater than it ever has been
  • I am craving and looking forward to my workouts
  • I have received so many compliments from people

Some other things in 2012, not so great, but regaining my fitness and feeling strong has sure made those issues easier to deal with.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 04:08 PM  
Pascal

marmact, congrats on getting back your workout mojo!

Sadly, I have no results (unless you count muscle loss!) as I've had nothing but injuries this year. I thought I had tendonitus but went to a doctor and it turns out I have major muscle strain and inflammation of my brachioradialis in both arms. Moved from barbells to just dummbbells to tubing to bands to body weight only to nothing at all. I can do SOME cardio but not much and aside from non-weighted squats and lunges keeping my arms at my sides (not with arms bent or hands cuppred), I can't do much lower body stuff either.

I just hope that with taking this time off the physical therapist can figure out what caused it, help me rehab them, and I can get back to doing things like housework and gardening and working out and I look forward to the challenge of building back my strength, wishfully assuming I get the chance to do so!!
Old 06-11-12, 04:26 PM  
wookiemouse

Is the year really almost halfway over? Sheesh!

I'm feeling pretty good at where I'm at so far! My biggest goal in 2012 was to get my mojo back as well. I had been doing a CLX/TF rotation for about 2 years and was bored silly. Then I found this forum...and discovered Cathe....and Amy Dixon...and KCM....and am no longer bored.

I have dropped about 7 lbs this year...not a ton, but I also don't have a lot to lose. I also changed my diet in March - I had slowly been converting to clean eating over the course of the previous year, but had a hard time giving up my sugar addiction. Went cold turkey in March and really started to see changes after that, especially in my abs.

Planning on just keeping on doing what I've been doing. I started STS today and am excited to see results.

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 05:34 PM  
dmlarue1

My goal was to get back into an exercise regime. We moved to NC last year, and 2 months after moving here..we were told that my husbands job would be eliminated, it ended up that his job was OK..but all the stress and depression really did me in. As of january I lost 7 pounds but the best thing is I work out everyday now and I can lift alot more weight wise, so I'm happy
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:25 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

The results I got so far for the first half of the year were directly proportionate to the effort I've put in thus far. That means zero. I've set high goals for myself, but I was apparently not serious enough to achieve any of them. I did not exercise consistently, maybe even less than normal, and my diet was not great for a lot of reasons. Lately, I've had some health-related setbacks, which were nothing compared to those experienced by some other VF Members. Bottom line, I have to get myself together in the 2nd half of the year, and just do it.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold