Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-21, 08:09 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I Know I Need To Work My Lower Body But...

I just don't want to! I like doing upper body and floor work for lower is okay but standing lower work has become a huge dread factor for me. The only reason I make myself do squats and lunges is my fear of becoming weak.

I come from a large extended family and am on the younger end of the spectrum in relation to all my cousins. Two female cousins have passed away in the last month so I've seen others at the funerals that I haven't seen in a while and I was saddened to notice how frail some are. I'm not saying they may not have health issues contributing to it but I'm pretty sure most don't do much to help themselves with regard to exercise.

So, even though I don't want to anymore I suppose I'll make myself do those darn lunges and squats but I'll probably be cussing the whole time.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 08:25 AM  
TinaT

I get it. I struggle with squats and lunges as well. I think I have burn out from doing so many with the FIRM. Tall box work is on that list too. My knees are starting to talk to me when I do them.

I end up talking myself into doing rebounding instead, with weights for the upper body. Remember, doing something everyday is better than nothing.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 08:42 AM  
bubbles76

You don't have to do squats and lunges. If you enjoy floor work or barre, do that. There is also plenty you can do with bands lying down or sitting. Just get heavy enough bands.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 09:06 AM  
fanofladyvols

bubbles is right ...plenty of floor moves you can do with bands...clam for hips...and glute bridges off heels for glutes and off toes for hammies with bands, etc.

But also there really different ways to hit that lower body to shake things up! I never just do side lunges..I do the star move from the old Kathy Smith FFLBF.

But here's a demo of modified explosive Single leg deadlift, tactical lunges and some floor work that I thought was fun. Or at least better than same old squats and lunges.

I don't have Facebook but can see anyway and used weight plates and dumbbells for the moves so you don't need a kettlebell.

here's the link
https://www.facebook.com/LaurenBrook...7979002073147/

I would rather hit those muscles doing things I like.

Hope these help!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 09:19 AM  
dnna

don't despair. My knee gave out on me completely and I am stalling on a knee replacement. I have been doing lying down floor work and my legs are strong. like cut! I have better muscle definition than when I was doing the firm. I do it everyday and I am focused on form while doing it so-you can go this route and be confident that you will have strong legs!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:09 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
don't despair. My knee gave out on me completely and I am stalling on a knee replacement. I have been doing lying down floor work and my legs are strong. like cut! I have better muscle definition than when I was doing the firm. I do it everyday and I am focused on form while doing it so-you can go this route and be confident that you will have strong legs!
Do you have a specific online workout or DVD ?
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:12 AM  
kat999

I have recently been feeling this, mostly because working out exclusively from home has me doing so much FIRM since it's the highest percentage of my workout video collection, and I'm like, omg another segment of lunges and dips and squats and I am going to LOSE IT. I miss going to barre classes and doing legs in a totally different way. Hopefully once my second dose is two weeks out I can start thinking about getting back to barre classes.
Old 04-15-21, 10:12 AM  
laurajhawk

What do you like to do for cardio? If you walk, run, cycle, rebound, or do other leg-intensive cardio, that plus floorwork may be plenty.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 11:01 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette
I Know I Need To Work My Lower Body But...
I have found in the last year or so that I can't tolerate the endless reps/endless sets/endless exercises (Cathe and other instructors) use for lower body work.

I am doing "old school" workouts that usually have three sets of 10-12 reps per exercise. That really eliminates any dread factor for me.

If squats and lunges don't cause any joint issues for you, I'd recommend keeping them in the mix! You will thank yourself in the future.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 11:42 AM  
bfit

My lower body was in the best shape it had ever been when I was doing barre. Sadly, I can't do it any more because of permanent effects of a foot injury, but I've been doing Barlates lower body work (DVD and You Tube), and it's very effective. There's a lot of variety in what she does.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor work, lower body, lower body results, lower body workouts, squats