Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-27-21, 07:11 PM  
Mickey12

Manleym I hope you have an enjoyable birthday.

Kittybug I hope you're feeling better. Rest days are definitely needed sometimes.

Garrie, I have a question about the classes that you teach. When I belonged to a gym there was a kickbox class that was so darn fun, but the instructor did the exact same routine with the exact same music every week for months. I really liked it, but she never, ever changed it. So I'm wondering how you do your classes. Do you change the choreography slightly every so often? Do you teach an entirely new class every so often? How long do you teach one before you change it?

Bee and ChelePA (and anybody else) now that February is almost over, how did the no sugar February challenge go? Did you go out of your minds? Did you succeed? Did you decide to never eat sugar again for the rest of your lives?

All this discussion about cage dancing is so darn funny, you guys! OMG.

Today I decided on a new workout I got from Mary recently. Baron Baptiste Soul of Strength yoga. It was a nice, traditional practice with a strength focus, but it wasn't really brutal as the poses were not held that long. I enjoyed it. For some reason my balance was so terrible today, yikes, I kept toppling all over the place. Savasana was done with knees bent and feet touching, like frog legs. I don't think I ever did it like that.
Old 02-27-21, 07:20 PM  
manleym

AWW! Thanks friends for the bday wishes!! Made my day!!

You gals are making me blush! But I love every minute of it! HA! HA!

Now that you mention it Bee we do have a quite tasty dessert planned. For dinner we are having pan seared grouper (we'll put it in the oven to finish cooking it), roasted asparagus, white wine/lemon dill sauce. Dessert will be Salted Caramel Nothin' Bundt Cake with Tillamook Oregon Hazelnut and Salted Caramel Ice Cream. And a nice bottle of red wine. We've been talking about it all day and can't wait!!

Birthday has been a good one. The yellow daffodils from my mom's yard are blooming (yellow is my favorite color), I picked up my free Nothin' Bundt Cake bundlet (free for bday), ordered a pair of Kendra Scott earrings (50% off during bday month), and had a great workout. Great dinner and dessert on the way. And great virtual friends (YOU!) sending happy bday wishes. Couldn't be better!

So my birthday workout started with Caroline's 5 Min Full Body Warm Up, since today's workout didn't have a warm up. The workout was the one posted yesterday - Caroline Full Throttle Full Body Dumbbell Workout / Cardio | EPIC II - Day 40 - 2/25/21. It was a GREAT slow, heavy strength workout, which wanted since 4x4 is metabolic. I liked that in this workout she starts each set of moves using 2 dumbbells, then she drops to 1 dumbbell and the last move is bodyweight. So it's all the same move, just done at different "levels" - 2 dumbbells, then 1, then bodyweight. Each set is done twice, so it doesn't get repetitive but allows you to make adjustments between rounds. I'm feeling it and it was worth doing! I finished with Kit Rich no equipment 10 Minute Stretch Routine. It's a great, quick stretch.

Gotta run! Time to start dinner!! Yipee!!

Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 09:06 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday, Watulans!

manleym, I am DROOLING over your birthday dinner! Sounds so delicious! DH and I do eat fish on occasion, and grouper is a good one for sure! It sounds like you have had a wonderful birthday!! But....did you have to cook your own dinner??? We had yellow and white daffodils in our yard at my childhood home--they were one of my mom's favorites. We even named our collie daffy-down-dilly (daffy for short).

bee, I also read that the reactions are worse for younger people. So there ARE benefits to being old!!

Garrie, I like your rotation, although I don't have a spin bike. Did I miss where you teach double step? I think there was a CIA video back in the day that used 2 steps, can't recall which one it was but I dug out my shorter step to try it.

Hey, I haven't even posted my workout(s) for today! I did the double low impact hiit from Perfect 30 with a few modifications since I'm not gonna jump on my right leg yet. It felt good and I do seem to be healing. I felt left out on Fun Friday so today I also decided to do "stepless step" with Kat and her cats. I did the intermediate-advanced express step on the floor with the same steps that Kat did. It worked for me and was fun! I might do some of my other step workouts that way until I feel comfortable putting that much impact on my knee.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 09:57 PM  
Garrie A.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANLEYM! Your birthday sounds heavenly.

Today I did The Firm's Jiggle Free Buns (from the TransFirmer series) followed by two segments from Core Fusion Glutes & Thighs (Pretzel and Kneeling Gluteal Toner). My glutes are already feeling some DOMS!

Kim: For step and cardio, I tend to stick to the same choreography for several weeks, layering on a few changes here and there each week. If my students don't feel ready for certain layer changes, I don't add them in. The class is my barometer. Sometimes I will bring back certain combos that are my favorites and either change them up or keep them the same. For strength classes, I change it up every time.

Cataddict: Yes, I have that CIA! It's 9803, with a hi/lo workout led by Greg Twombly (Heather Day leads part of it) and a double step workout by Sue Gent and Dottie Lee. That was the workout that got me interested in doubles. The choreography is fun and both instructors cue impeccably. Only quibbles are that the choreo isn't all tapless (I don't mind as a participant but I do as an instructor) and the music--while two of my favorite CIA soundtracks--has been way overused. Seasun Zieger also did a bonus double section in "The Next Step" but there is very little breakdown.

Bee: I saw your thread on Gen. Discussion. This is the spin bike I have: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B1423. It does a great job, and was fairly easy to assemble (for a handyman challenged person like me). My only quibble is with regards to the onboard computer. It doesn't track RPMs but tracks MPH, time, distance, and "calories burned" (which differs significantly from my FitBit). I purchased a cadence sensor from Amazon yesterday that tracks RPMs and has already been shipped. Also, the brake pad needs to be sprayed/lubricated before use, otherwise it squeaks like crazy during heavy hill climbs. I use the Peloton app from my Roku.

Kittybug: You crack me up! We all need rest days.

Waves all around!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 10:05 PM  
fanofladyvols

cataddict hope your calf gets better real soon!

manleym HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂 Your dinner sounds OUTSTANDING!!

kittybug what's with confession time, girl? Let's not start that or we'll have to talk about who was dancing in bubble machines in clubs!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 09:02 AM  
ChelePA

Manleym...your birthday sounds delicious! I love anything salted caramel...yum!

Kim...believe it or not...no sweets for me this past month. Now don't get me wrong, I wish I was eating more healthy...my daughter tortures me with her nachos weekly. I'm hoping this will kick off eating a little better in the upcoming month.

Cataddict...I occasionally do step routines on the floor...if I'm learning choreography or just want a lighter day of cardio. I think it's smart to play it safe. I am also being cautious with my bruised side. I can't believe how much it still hurts...such a freak injury.

So on that note...I started off with a Growing Annanas workout and about 15 minutes in realized that the second half had too much core/ab work which hurts my side. The beginning was mostly leg work with some planks. I decided to try Caroline Girvan's Beginner Lower Body Workout with no equipment. It's funny because many of the moves were similar to Anna. With Anna you work 50 sec, 10 sec off and Caroline was 45 sec, 15 sec rest. The difference of 10 seconds really makes a difference for me which sounds crazy. Going deep into some of the moves like Caroline had my legs trembling. There were a few exercises that were easier for me. But overall, I worked up a nice sweat with body weight only. I finished with Kat's 20 minute rebounder workout. It's always a fun way to end a session.

Have a wonderful Sunday!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 09:02 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
cataddict hope your calf gets better real soon!

manleym HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂 Your dinner sounds OUTSTANDING!!

kittybug what's with confession time, girl? Let's not start that or we'll have to talk about who was dancing in bubble machines in clubs!
You ladies really lived on the edge in your younger days
Old 02-28-21, 12:30 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I am wary of it simply because it is a new delivery system --
Oh, yes, this too, Bee, that also has me rather wary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

Hah hah hah hah hah!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
You ladies really lived on the edge in your younger days
I can neither confirm nor deny that I have lots and lots of crazy stories, ChelePA and horusosiris!

Manleym, your birthday sounds divine!! So glad it was awesome (and yummy!).

Kim, my Ingrid DVDs arrived early! I'm trying to figure out my workout plan for this week. I also missed out on Katami's I am Athlete 2 last week due to needing an extra rest day so now I'm all mixed up.

FN2, you are one fiercely nuts woman! Calf and knee issues can be just so debilitating and you're still rocking it anyway!

Garrie, I really wish I could take your double step class. That just sounds FUN.

I'll post more later once I figure out what the heck workout I'm doing today and the rest of this week, sheesh! Happy Sunday Watulans!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 12:57 PM  
ChelePA

Beyond excited for my birthday gift...my family just bought me a Stryde bike...woohoo!!! I miss cycling so much! Hopefully, it will be here within the week. I plan on using the Peloton app in the beginning. I'm sure I can find some awesome free YouTube videos too. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears

On a funny side note, my daughter says to me the other day...I have been trying to talk dad out of his idea for your gift, but he's not listening to me. I think I am going to buy my own separate gift because I don't like his idea. She's like do you want a fitness watch or something related to exercise. She then says I wish dad would just get you the Peloton like I recommended. As you can tell, she's not one for surprises. But she wouldn't tell me the crazy idea. Then she starts asking who my favorite singer and actor are. I told him Hugh Jackman and Kelly Clarkson...anyone else? As the questions continue, I realize exactly what my husband's idea was. And the only reason is because Facebook has been showing me ads for days now on the subject in my news feed...although I'm not the one searching for information. Scary!!! Yes that's right, he wanted to pay for a cameo birthday wish with a famous celebrity. My daughter knows me well...she says mom will freak with the waste of hundreds of dollars and they are all B level...haha. So glad he finally listened to her birthday thoughts...he told me ahead of time because he was afraid to purchase the wrong thing. I'm glad he did because I like the idea of a bike similar to the Peloton but not locked into the 40 dollar per month fee for a year to access their routines. The app is so much cheaper. Plus with this bike I can stream any class.
Old 02-28-21, 01:46 PM  
Mickey12

I used to have that Season Zeiger double step workout but I gave it away. I didn’t like the regular step routine and I didn’t have two steps (or the space for them) to do the double step workout. Garrie your classes sound like so much fun.

ChelePA so funny about your family trying to figure out a birthday gift for you. It’s very sweet that your husband puts so much effort into finding a meaningful gift for you. The new spin bike is SUPER exciting!! Woo hoo for you!

Kittybug I didn’t get my Ingrid DVDs yet. Does anybody else want to join in doing them?

ManleyM your dinners always sound so good, yum! I love daffodils too. Mine are starting to pop up around the house but they usually start too early and we get a late storm that kills them. Not every year, but too frequently for me. I have some in the center of the yard that come up later and don’t get ruined by late storms.

Have a great day, everyone.

Tags
watulan check-in