Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-20-22, 03:37 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hey all! I'm in the midst of a bit of a covid scare myself -- feeling better today, so we'll see. I had a negative rapid test but because I need to take my son to the airport Saturday morning, he really wanted me to have a PCR test done, so I did that yesterday afternoon.

I encourage anyone who's interested to give oil pulling a try -- it's definitely a bit strange at first, but you get used to it. I'm so happy it came up here because I am getting back into the habit myself now.

Chele, I love how you think about balancing out your workouts and what kind of work you need -- balance, mobility, etc. I have been doing TBP this week -- it definitely makes my pain better. I don't know that they have any magic for me, it just seems to be the right type of movement for me right now. Well and outdoor walks, too -- as you say, that's great for mental health! (typed with a smile as I'm just in from a 70 minute outdoor walk).

Kim, it must be very fun to see the painting project progress. Everything always seems so fresh and new when painted.

Hope everyone is staying warm -- I don't know if I'm behind the times but I heard it's still very cold in places.
Old 01-21-22, 08:18 AM  
Mickey12

Bee good luck on the test results. I'm glad you're feeling better, whatever the results. I'm grateful the Omicron symptoms are not so severe. We've had quite a few people test positive at work. Most of them were down for a day or two, but then back to working (at least part-time) from home during the rest of their quarantine. I'm so ready for this to be done.

No workout for me last night again. We were doing our "homework" from the painter - moving things out of the next rooms to be painted. We don't have a large house so it's a little challenging to find places to put all the stuff we take out of a room. It's looking so much brighter and fresher. I'm really pleased with the results so far. I love the colors we picked. Oh, and I didn't answer Manley's question from a while back. I think we are going to go with the "less is more" option and not put everything back up on the walls. I already donated some small shelves and some pictures that I had on the walls that I knew I didn't want to put back up.

Hope everyone has a good Friday.
Old 01-21-22, 09:52 AM  
ChelePA

Bee… hoping you are feeling OK. And that your second test comes back negative. You just never know. Better to be cautious.

Mickey12… less is more has been a good motto for me since my accident. It was actually very freeing at Christmas to put minimal decorations out. Still had a nice holiday feeling but clean up was so much easier.

The last few days I’ve been doing a variety of peloton workouts. Today I hit a new milestone and walked a mile on the treadmill. The playlist was all Queen. Very motivating! I’ve been trying to wear the compression stockings almost daily but my right leg/ankle is still so swollen. Drives me crazy because I hate wearing them especially if they’re not going to give results. Going to try for a few more weeks and see if there are any changes.

Happy Friday!
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 11:37 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Happy Friday......

Still waiting for test results. Getting impatient.....

Chele, way to go on the treadmill mile!! Cowbells all around! Love Queen. Sorry about the swollen ankle!

Kim, I love that "homework" from your painters.

The days seems to be noticeable longer (daylight hours) than just a week ago. I tried to get out for a sunrise walk but missed the best part, I could tell. Good news overall though.
Old 01-21-22, 12:29 PM  
Mickey12

Bee a sunrise walk sounds devine! They don't last long at all, sorry you missed the best part. I don't prefer exercising in the morning but I sure do love a sunrise. One year we went to the beach for vacation and I got up every morning except one to watch the sunrise. My husband thought I was crazy. We don't like beach vacations as a rule, so I figured it was not something I was going to see again on any regular basis.

ChelePA I'm also cheering you for your mile walk on the treadmill. Woo hoo!! It must be hard to be patient with the compression stockings given that they don't seem to be making any difference. I like Queen too, lots of good songs. When they use the playlist songs, are they all basically the same beat or do they mix them up so you walk faster and slower during the workout?

Hope all you Watulans have a great day! I'm happy it's Friday.
Old 01-22-22, 05:12 PM  
manleym

Kim I remember the dust from our remodel. It was HORRIBLE! And EVERYWHERE! I'd be on the other side of the house and wonder, "how did dust get here?!?" I'm glad you're liking the colors. And I get ya about where to put things. Our closet was in our living room and kitchen was in the sunroom. Our garage was full, especially when they did the floors. I'm glad you're having fun and that it isn't causing too much stress. Sounds like it's going well.

Bee I hope you are feeling better. My SIL is just getting over covid. Been sick for a couple of weeks. My brother didn't feel well for a few days but tested negative. We've had 100+ kids out sick a day and so many teachers out too. I think it's getting to the point of who do we know that hasn't had it. And what the person's symptoms will be.

ChelePA YAY on the 1 mile milestone!! That is great!! Queen would be a great playlist. When I ran, my favorite playlists were classic rock (Boston, 38 Special, etc), disco, or songs from the 80's like Prince, MJ - so I guess that would be pop? Good music makes a huge difference. Congrats and keep up the good work! We're cheering you on!!

Just got back from next door. The live-in boyfriend had a heart attack and died Monday night. We saw all the lights from the ambulance, police, fire truck but had no idea what was going on. We went outside and didn't see anything (no fire.) Another neighbor (on the other side of us) texted me letting me know what happened. Our neighbor said he was on the couch and her adult son noticed that he wasn't breathing right and started CPR. It was quick. She is understandably devastated. He was 33 years old. He was unhealthy and looked alot older than 33 - overweight, smoked, etc. She was telling me of what they had planned to do in the spring. So tragic. Just a reminder how fragile life is.

Work has been crazy busy and stressful, especially Friday. Not due to covid, but normal things that happen this time of year so there aren't many thoughts/notes on my workouts this past week. Mainly "liked", "ok" etc. Just getting home and getting them done. Still loving Caroline. I've never stuck with a strength program before so it's good to be doing something new and different.

For those of you who do Classical Stretch/Essentrics, any "must haves"? I found Aging Backwards Fast Track 30 Day Challenge at HPB and have ordered most of Sahra's from Amazon. I'm thinking that's probably good, but didn't know if there's a particular season or dvd that you love. They're kinda pricey on Amazon.

Hugs everyone!

Workouts:
Tuesday - Essentrics Aging Backwards No.3 Soothe Your Joints + Aging Backwards No.7 Improve Your Mobility + Aging Backwards No.5 Relieve Your Pain (about 10 min each, so total about 30 min) + Caroline's Uplifted Upper Body Dumbbell Workout EPIC Endgame Day 12 + 20 Min Jumping Jack Cardio Workout at Home + Studio Jibby 5 Min Full Body Cool Down Stretches Post- Workout For Flexibility.
Wednesday - The Active Workplace 5 min Lower Body Dynamic Warm Up (REALLY LIKED) + Hello Hamstrings & Glutes Dumbbell Workout EPIC Endgame Day 13 (WOW! I used Cathe’s blue band and felt it! I liked the variety and different moves in this one) + 15 Minute Hard-Working Hamstrings RDL Dumbbell Workout (tough after H&G) + Juice & Toya 15 Minute Lower Back Stretch For Pain + Tension Relief
Thursday - KCM CardioFIT All Cardio Premix (both workouts - no DB’s; wore weighted gloves - liked workout) + RAW Bonus Stepboxing (ok; held 1-2 lb soft weights; good as an add on but like other step workouts better.)
Friday - Caroline EPIC 5 Minute Warm Up - Full Body (like this one!) + Full-On Full Body Dumbbell Workout EPIC Endgame Day 14 (GREAT!) + guided by angie 10 Min Cool Down + Stretch- end your workout right! (FAV!)
Today - Amy Dixon BB2 The Edge (GREAT; doable HIIT; kinda repetitive with 3 rounds of each drill but able to really work the move; 2nd ˝ goes faster than 1st ˝; Finisher-TOUGH!) + Aging Backwards Fast Track 30 Day Challenge disc/week 2 - day 8 - Posture & Spine.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 10:26 AM  
ChelePA

I’ve been doing my mix and match with peloton classes as usual on Friday and Saturday. Today I decided to try Cathe’s Boss Bands Total Body. This one was perfect for me. I could do most of the moves with a few modifications here and there. I used lower resistance bands for a few of the exercises but I think I might be able to increase to the blue band next time. Definitely could not double up for biceps. Wow! I really like these new bands. Plus the movements she uses really helped to work the range of motion in my shoulder area, which is still limited these days. I can’t remember what you all thought about the series.

Hoping to catch up more later. Have a great Sunday!
Old 01-23-22, 03:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

I'm still around, just busy helping stepdaughter and various other things. She's doing "okay" as one can be after losing her mother, but completely clueless about many things including never having done a tax return in her life (she's 35). So I know I will be taking on more than I really want to, but that's life. I've been a little down, partially because of the continued pain from sciatica and the feeling that it will never, ever, go away. In summary, I am tired of the pain and tired of whining about the pain.

Due to sciatica/piriformis issue, I haven't been doing much working out. I've done a lot of walking, some modified cardio with Chris Dorner, some of the Team Body Project workouts that are low impact, and some upper body. Plus stretching and flossing and flossing and stretching.

We got about 7 inches of snow which of course paralyzes us. One news channel had 24 reporters in the field at the various cities/communities in our area. Even the sports guy was drafted! I've lived here a long time but it still makes me laugh at how much airtime even the possibility of snow gets (they are already talking about the possibility for next Saturday and this event isn't over yet ) They plow the main roads (and I do mean main---four lane roads) but nothing in the neighborhoods so we wait for it to melt. It's almost 40 today with some sun so it is melting a little.

bee, so sorry for the Covid scare! DH's sister got pneumonia from Covid and has spent the last 4 days in the hospital. She gets out today. Fortunately she had the first two vaccines (hadn't yet gotten the third) so she was able to recover and was never on a ventilator. Oh, and THANKS for the recs on Team Body Project! I really like the few that I've done recently and they are at the right degree of difficulty for me at this point. Daniel is so personable and I particularly like participant Kristen--she has the most beautiful smile!

Chele, you are doing so well!! I also really like the quality of the Cathe bands. I've pretty much given up using the latex bands for any of the band workouts that I do. I think the Band/Loop series got mixed reviews. I liked it I think mostly because I really love the bands/loops. I liked the lower body/glute workout even better than the total body one which surprised me as I usually prefer total body workouts.

manley, so sad about the neighbor! And so young!

Kim, I was wondering how the cats were doing with the painters there. Funny but now Olly hides when other people come in to the house when he didn't do that at first. I think he watches Ammy and she always leaves. The older boy stays out, as people aren't high on his list of worries if he is comfortable where he is sitting.

FN1, I get what you are saying about Chris Dorner's music. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. I liked the music in the one I did yesterday (who couldn't smile at an Ed Sheeran song at 10 times the speed of the original release ) but she seemed to jabber more to the "class" than usual. I do like the workouts themselves, though, easy to modify and the movements remind me of "old style" aerobics. I actually wish Caroline Girvan would talk in her workouts. She has a nice voice and I could listen to it for an entire workout, unlike a couple others out there. I've said it before, I can take the music in small doses, and IMHO Epic III music is "better" than the earlier Epics. We all have our preferences I guess, so good thing there is so much content out there!

Darn, I'm in Moby territory. Hugs to Kate---good luck with the daily treatments for Justin!

manley, horusosiris and Nathalie, yucch on renegade rows. They also bother my hands/wrists so when I do them I put the weight on the floor. But I don't do them often.

Waves to BabyW and FOLV!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 10:20 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Monday to All!

I was in football heaven this weekend. It was the absolute best football weekend, with some of the best plays, cliff hangers, and demonstrations of great quarterback athleticism of all time. A football fan could not ask for more (unless of course if Dallas had made the playoffs).

I am doing the Lift with Cee 40-4-40 six-week challenge plan (three total body workouts per week). I am also working my way through season 14 of Classical Stretch

Cataddict- sorry about the continued sciatica pain. That is so great that you are able to help your daughter in law.

Manley- sorry about the death of your neighbor.

Chel – the new Cathe bands are nice. I will be glad when Cathe (as she promised) sells the new bands for taller people. I wish that Cathe had made them available with the release of Boss Bands so that we would not have to buy two sets.

Bee- I love the idea of sunrise walks.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 11:22 AM  
ChelePA

horusosiris...I'm not a huge football fan. I will cheer for the Steelers if the game is on but I love basketball and baseball. I saw much to my surprise all the games this weekend. They were so much fun to watch. Especially last night in OT. Really was one of the best games I have seen!

Cataddict...so sorry about the continued pain. As you know, I can completely relate. It is sometimes so hard to stay positive when things don't improve as expected. Hoping with time and continued PT exercises you will feel relief. I struggle with this daily and like you I feel like a broken record, so I don't talk about it anymore. Your stepdaughter is lucky to have your support. Such a difficult time.

Bee...did you ever get back your test results? Did your son return to college? Fingers crossed for positive news.

Manleym...sad to hear about your neighbor. What a shock! It sounds like we have similar taste in music. My husband loves Boston!

Mickey12...sounds like the paint project is really coming along. You'll be happy to have your house back in order. Nice fresh start for the new year.

Kate...thinking of Justin and hoping treatment is going okay.

I decided to give Cathe Boss Bands Glutes and Core a go today, knowing this had more cardio from reviews. I decided not to use any bands. I was able to do most of the standing moves with many modifications especially with speed and impact. And of course my range of motion is so limited in my right leg/ankle with lunges etc. But hoping with my time to see some improvement. Her low impact is so different than most instructors...but I knew that. The floor and core work were doable and I was feeling it without the bands. I really like the loops and I am sure they will get used in the future as my strength and range of motion increases. Glad to have Cathe back in the rotation

Wishing everyone a good start to the week!

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in