Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-06-21, 08:01 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Nothing officially scheduled so a normal day! Planning on walking Gus, working in the yard and putzing around. Yesterday I went to the eye doctor and got a new prescription to try to reduce eye pressure in one eye - got that filled and used it last night - no problems. Adelija is still trying to find a volunteer position and will be going to a food packing place for meals for kids tonight. The feline place has a seminar they want her to attend, but no room for it in four months .

Laura, nice that you have good selectors at the place you use. I remember a Wegman's in IL when I was there - nice store! The only other one I recognize is Walmart and I don't like giving them my business. I think TJ may offer this in the future. Hope the Xrays show something correctible.

Paula, it's nice your parents have a dining service they can use - with my cooking skills , having somewhere to get a good meal would be a benefit. It would be cool if you and Laura ended up in the same place! I am researching places with my friends also - they want to build or renovate something that will work for them (being architects doing senior housing stuff now).

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 01:00 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We have nothing on the calendar today (yay!) and I'm catching up on stuff around the house. I cooked for DH for lunch. This afternoon, I need to investigate companies for the next round of stuff around the house - new blinds for the sliding glass door and someone to clean the windows on the sunporch (not typical windows, you have to take each panel off, wash it, and reinstall them), and someone to look at the drywall/plaster falling from the ceiling of the garage. At least these things seem less critical and less work for us than the last round of things.

Paula - That sounds like an ideal place. It's good you found Cambridge Village. It's a place I would consider if I'm still here. After my mom and dad are gone, I'm not sure if we'll stay here. We'll see. I don't really want to move to WV, but if I needed family support, that's where I'd find it. With pick-ups, after I add things to my cart, I go through each item and leave instructions. In the case of something being out of stock, you can mark it with a specific replacement, saying that the shopper should choose the best replacement, or do not replace it and refund the money. I mark a lot of our items with the last one because there is no good replacement. Things like blueberries that are interchangeable between brands, I let the shopper choose and they replace my choice with whatever they have in stock. A few things I designate a specific replacement. That seems to cut down on the number of things I get that I don't want. The shoppers are apparently trained to try to give you something and taking the time to designate those instructions seems to help.

Anita - You'd think the feline place would give virtual options or something if they have capacity for volunteers, but not in the class.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 08:31 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 2 and a neighborhood walk with DH. Otherwise just a normal day, beked two loaves of banana bread, did some gardening, got a pedicure and generally putzed around.

Anita, Too bad it doesn't look as though the refine rescue is going to work out for Adelija. I'm with you on not wanting to give my business to Walmart. Slight correction, my parents did have a dining room where they could eat one or more meals per day. At this point they have both passed and I don't have any relative living at Cambridge. My older sister and brother in law are using the gym facilities there.

Laura, having an open day can feel like such a gift, can't it? We need to get some work done that we've been letting slide too. The carpet needs to be cleaned for sure. We share the feeling we may have to move for support at some times.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 07:07 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today just sort of slipped away. I had an in-person training session this morning. This afternoon, I've done this and that, following up on some stuff and doing some art journaling.

Paula - It sounds like a nice day. It seems like there is always something to be done around a house.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-07-21, 08:00 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 3 - Cardio. DH and had a nice walk in Dana Point Marina too. Met a friend for lunch and had a nice relaxed day.

I am continuing my attempt to make a decent loaf of sourdough bread. Thus far my tries, though edible, haven't been all that good. So far my loaves have been too dense or too sour or both. I fed my starter last night and again this morning and it's was bubbling over when we got home from Dana Point so should be strong enough to make a loaf of bread. So now I have batter rising in the kitchen, hopefully it will be ready to bake tomorrow morning. New recipe for me, fingers crossed it will be light and flavorful. If it isn't I may just give up on sourdough, toss my starter, and stick to yeast bread.

Laura, I hear ya about days slipping away. Glad you keep getting new clients for one on one sessions.
Old 10-08-21, 07:00 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I thought I wrote yesterday, but apparently not! Yesterday was a nice quiet day - I played Carcasonne with friends, but my computer didn't work well, I walked Gus, and I worked in my yard clipping away at perennials. Today, I'll be at the WRC, walking Gus, and doing more yardwork, which I'll take to the compost pile.

Laura, sounds like you're into home improvement this season! My project ahead is painting - living room wall next to the stairs is marked from carrying stuff up and down the stairs and my office room could use a new coat. I cleaned the marks with a special erase sponge, but that left marks where I rubbed the paint. I'll likely hire some painters to do this as I could see a lot of beneficial improvement from their work vs mine. This will likely happen after Adelija returns to Latvia.

Paula, Adelija is using a program to find volunteer positions in our city and is considering several options. Some aren't in very good bus areas so I give her a ride in the evenings. Now, no problem - middle of winter . I don't know much, but I think the flour type also affects the texture of bread - flour used for sweets or cakes is different from the base breads. Good luck with your baking today!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 10-08-21, 05:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It turned into a busy day. This morning, I took DH to a dental appointment for a filling that came out. Turns out he needs a crown, so it didn't take all that long. We came home, and I cooked lunch for myself. While I did that, one of my virtual students called and we scheduled a virtual training session for this afternoon. After that, a potential person to fix the garage and wash the sunroom windows came by to give us an estimate. I'm looking forward to a slower evening.

Paula - How did the bread turn out. I bet there is a trick to sourdough baking. I hope this afternoon's attempt came out better.

Anita - I've tried signing up for volunteer opportunities on a couple of online platforms and it never worked out. it's a frustrating thing when you do everything they say and nothing really happens. Painting is one of those things that is supposed to be easy, anyone can do it, but my stuff never turns out.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-08-21, 08:08 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning Pahla B Body Shaping Day 4 Moderate Weights and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Anita, I am happy to report the bread came out perfect - the best sourdough I've made. I am keeping this recipe to make again. Yes, you can use all purpose flour for bread but it comes out better if you use bread flour - the gluten and protein content is higher in bread flour. Anyway, I made two loaves of sourdough and they came out perfect - soft and tender and perfect for slicing and the taste is perfect, not too sour. I hope Adelija can find a volunteer opportunity that will work for her.

Laura, The bread turned out - yay! I'm with you, painting always looks easy when someone else is doing it and is much harder to get looking good DIY. DH did our kitchen years ago and it came out perfect but he did a slow metiticulous job. I think it needs repainting now (he doesn't) but he doesn't want to do it himself anymore - it's a big job. Glad you had an easy day and the clients are steady for you.
Old 10-09-21, 08:12 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on taking Adelija to a friend's house so she can go volunteer with him, walking Gus, and working in the garden - this may be my last day chopping down perennials! She went to a soccer game yesterday after school at the high school level, but they were in our professional stadium! Very cool! Luckily her friend's mom gave her a ride home - I was already in bed when that happened.

Laura, you had a busy day! After seeing professional painter's results in my living room area and bedroom, my painting just doesn't measure up to that . I do want to hire a painter as the corner of the wall needing painting is above my stairs.

Paula, yay on your bread success! It's been decades since I've tried baking bread here... I do hope Adelija will find a good volunteer opportunity - I do know that once she turns 18 in February she can join me at the WRC, but I'd have to put on another shift in the evening or on a weekend to accommodate her schedule.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 10-09-21, 02:22 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It's a gray and cool and rainy day here. It was pouring when we woke up and now it's just steadily raining. First thing this morning, we had a Zoom call with the Japan side of the family. The rest of the day has been low-key. I've enjoyed relaxing.

Paula - Yay! Congrats on the bread success. Now that you figured out what works, you have a plan for the next time!

Anita - Awwwww. And you have been so enjoying the plant work. It sounds like Adelija is having some neat experiences.

Laura's Workout Mantras: