Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-21, 01:43 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

What kind of exercise records do you keep?

With the new year coming I'm thinking about how to record my workouts. I've just been writing them down in a notebook with no details added. I've also been posting them here once in a while. I'd love to know what others are doing. How much detail do you record? TIA
Old 12-01-21, 02:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I get a weekly planner every year that has a week spread over 2 pages.
- For walks and hikes I record distance and sometimes total time and splits.

- If I do a DVD I usually just write down the name of the workout but sometimes I will write if certain exercises cause back pain any modifications I made. The other thing I do is put an index card in my DVDs noting the dates that I have done the workout. Then I can refer to my planner for any notes. I don't use DVDs that much anymore so the cards help me find info about the workout without relying on my memory

-For written strength training workouts I write in the planner which workout/phase/day I have done that day. I use workout logs that I print out to record weights/reps etc. Usually I do programs with 3 full body strength workouts/week. So I will note in my planner "Bedrock Strength-Phase 1-Workout 3. I have been saving my log sheets for reference so I know what weights I was using. I always shake my head when I am at the gym and see people (mostly guys) lift without writing down their stats. How do they know if they are making progress?
I write weights/reps/rounds directly in my log book if I do a workout of my own creation or if I do a workout I got off the internet and I haven't made up log sheets for them.

I have about 11 years of these planners and lots of binders with my workout logs. At some point I will need to get rid of them.
Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 03:37 PM  
Izzy

I don't. I log into my check in's and that's it. I honestly don't really care what I do. I just know at the end of the day I feel good if I did some form of exercise or workout or just kept busy with yard work etc.
Old 12-01-21, 03:39 PM  
kat999

I've lately just been keeping an Excel spreadsheet where I document each workout I own, then the first time I do it I enumerate total calories burned, modality (e.g., AWT, HIIT, yoga, cardio, etc.), the calories-per-minute burn, the total time, and then I note the last time I did the workout. If it's been a long time since I've done one, I try to do it.
Old 12-01-21, 04:03 PM  
lizh

I have a calendar where I write in what I do and sometimes add a sticker, too. Love stickers!

I only do it so I can get a quick glimpse of reality to see whether I have been slacking off or getting the workouts in. It motivates me because sometimes I imagine that I have worked out more recently than I have, so then I make a point to push play.

Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 04:17 PM  
SpiritYogi

I have a small notebook where I log the date and the workout(s) I did each day.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 04:23 PM  
ardnas

For years I used the Streaming Colors Fitness Journal Monthly Calendar.
Not sure why they stopped making them?
It was so easy to color code & journal workouts, food, calories, etc. I suppose one could make up their own system on any calendar, but I really liked how theirs was put together.
Now I just record what I do on my computer.
Old 12-01-21, 05:42 PM  
BunnyHop

The only sort of records I've kept with any regularity were some notes I made about various Classical Stretch workouts. At one point I found it motivating to review the workout the night before, writing notes about the sequence of moves. Only do that when they're new to me, but I do find it helpful.
Old 12-01-21, 06:00 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

To record my workouts, I have a 2021 Weekly & Monthy Planner by MEAD and it's 5.5" x 8.5". I love the Mead brand for this and I buy it from Amazon. I already bought my 2022 Mead planner for next year. Each day I write down what workouts I did and for how long. I will put a star next to the workouts I really enjoyed or I'll write "hate!" next to the workouts I didn't like. The next day I will write down if the workout gave me DOMS.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 06:32 PM  
wendug

I buy a cheap monthly planner from the Dollar Tree and write my workouts down in that. That's it. It keeps me in check if I see too many blank days.

Tags
logging, tracking workouts, workout log, workout logs