Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-20, 10:19 AM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

Oh, wow! Where to start?

Thanks, Sherrie and Taramisu for the Cozy Mystery links. I should have known to look for that sort of website. I used to read historical romances and I really enjoyed a couple of websites where I got reviews and author interviews, etc. So fun! My literary tastes have changed over the years, though. I haven't read a romance novel in years. Mysteries are more my thing now,

Thanks, again, everybody. I'm intrigued by all of your suggestions.

Donna
Old 07-23-20, 10:22 AM  
Sissy B

Another series I have really enjoyed is Julie Mulhern's Country Club Murders series. It's set in the 1970s. I just finished the latest book that was released at the end of June and I have enjoyed them all. The first book in the series is The Deep End.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 11:55 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Great thread! I didn't know there was actually a cozy-mystery category. I get tired of the blood & gore mysteries.

I do second Sue Grafton's books. Really entertaining.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 12:41 PM  
Harivelo

[QUOTE=sheepla;2883286]I love cozy mysteries.

I love to read cozy mysteries related to things I'm interested in to counteract gritty mystery novels. I really enjoyed biscuit bowl food truck mysteries but JJ Cook hasn't published a new book for years. I currently follow Angela M Sanders' Vintage Clothing Mysteries.
In between cozy and standard mystery series I really enjoy MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth series, Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency\, Lindsey Davis' Flavia Albia.
Harivelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 12:51 PM  
Harivelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Nancy Pickard Jenny Cain series

Sandra Scoppettone Lauren Laurano series

Sue Ann Jaffarian Odelia Grey series

Sharyn McCrumb

Dorothy Cannell

Jon Katz suburban detective series

Laura Leveine
I love love love Sharyn McCrumb's MacPherson books She also wrote great mysteries set in Appalachia that often have a supernatural touch to them.
Old 07-23-20, 01:02 PM  
sherry7899

I have not read Sharyn McCrumb's other series. I will look into it. Thanks!

I would have more suggestions if I had not donated/given away so many books! I do not generally read mysteries more than once, so I do not hold onto them.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 01:21 PM  
Harivelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Hi! Sorry for the off-topic post but I would like to get some of those cozy murder mystery books. I did a search on Amazon and there seems to be at least a thousand different choices!

Can anyone recommend some good series? I'm accustomed to a certain quality of writing, so I would prefer something that has some...um...intelligence? I don't need for them to be super humorous, just engaging and a good light read. For reference, I like shows like Father Brown, Poirot (but not looking for Agatha Christie novels at this time), Marple, Grantchester, Midsomer Murders, Broadchurch, etc. The books do not have to be set in England, though. I just really like British TV mysteries!

Thanks!

Donna
Donna, sounds like you could be my soul sister. Have you tried Elizabeth George ? She's an American who wrote theInspector Thomas Lynley books that were turned into a BBC series. Ooops, Elizabeth George's books don't fall into the cozy category. In another post in this link I also recommended Sharyn McCrumb's Elizabeth MacPherson mysteries. I also love Lindsey Davis' Flavia Alba series. She wrote a Marcus Didius Falco series first but I haven't read a single book from that one. Falco is Flavia's adoptive dad.
Old 07-23-20, 01:27 PM  
Harivelo

[QUOTE=Harivelo;2883332][QUOTE=sheepla;2883286]I love cozy mysteries.

I love reading cozy mysteries related to things I'm interested in to counteract gritty mystery novels. I really enjoyed biscuit bowl food truck mysteries but JJ Cook hasn't published a new book for years. I currently follow Angela M Sanders' Vintage Clothing Mysteries. Other great favorites are MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth series, Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladie's Detective Agency.
Old 07-23-20, 01:50 PM  
OSusanna

I’m going to second the Inspector Lynsey series by Elizabeth George. While not technically “cozy”, the writing is a step above other mystery series in my opinion and there is an extraordinary attention to character development. Also, this is a long series and so if you do like it you could be reading for awhile.

I tried to get my mom to read them but they were not to her taste. I was sad because I wanted to have an Elizabeth George book club!
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 01:55 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Thanks! Definitely different from the books I read (says a huge Stephen King fan!). Maybe the title being Cozy Mysteries would have helped as that's very different from what I and others often consider a murder mystery.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, reading