Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-19, 03:04 PM  
rheash92

Trying to get stronger despite of having weight to lose

So one of my goals for 2019 is to get stronger. I had a really crappy Jan in terms of working out and barely got in any workouts. I have tried all of the Cathe Lite workouts and I like them. I was thinking of doing a rotation with them but I feel like I am in perpetual weight loss mode. I do have about 15 pounds to lose. But I’m thinking of starting a strength based rotation using Cathe Xtrain and Ripped wit HIiT and May be gym styles.

Is it ok to lift heavy focusing on strength despite of having weight to lose? I want to get stronger but I worry about gaining weight. I don’t want to go into any details about diet but I’m thinking with a strength based rotation I need to keep my calories at maintainence or even slightly higher. Should I be doing any cardio and if so what kind?

Thanks all for your help.
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 09:36 PM  
clerkin11

I'm doing this rotation now, although I am subbing workouts similar to what is listed some days. I like to throw in some cathe live workouts where I can. She has you doing circuit and cardio the first 4 weeks and more strength work the second 4 weeks. I'm only one week in, but I like it so far.

https://cathe.com/forum/threads/burn...tation.311457/
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 09:20 AM  
rheash92

This is an excellent rotation but I don’t have time for hour long workouts max 40 mins. I will save it though for future reference. Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 11:23 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Is it ok to lift heavy focusing on strength despite of having weight to lose? I want to get stronger but I worry about gaining weight. I don’t want to go into any details about diet but I’m thinking with a strength based rotation I need to keep my calories at maintainence or even slightly higher. Should I be doing any cardio and if so what kind?
i'm tagging this thread (see bottom left) so that you can see other threads that ask similar questions.

i don't think there's a solid line separating cardio from weights. there is a cardio effect when lifting weights. for example, if you wear a HRM (or just take your pulse after doing a set or two), your HR can become elevated.

joyce vedral writes about a weights-centric regimen, and the success stories in her books show women who started out with a lot of weight to lose, then ending up lean after lifting weights.

it's good to do cardio - simple walking is good training for your heart.

as far as rotations, a simple rotation of 3x/week weight training is good to start out with.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 11:54 AM  
katchaser1

I have lost more than 20 pounds since last April with just monitoring my calorie intake and heavy lifting at the gym focusing on 1-2 body parts per workout. The only cardio I do is walking the dog for a 1/2 hour. Due to hashimotos, exercise induced asthma and osteomylitis in the hips that tore my labrum which required surgery I had to totally tweak my workout mindset. I went from running 6 miles a day to losing interest for many years which caused weight gain and depression. I would work out sporadically but never found a workout that made me feel that runner's high. Last April I took the gamble, I was in the obese category and I was going against the grain and did what made me happy and not burned out. I love weight lifting, it has changed my life, I am more confident, energetic and do not feel drained like I did with cardio. I also look forward to going to the gym more than I ever had running. Listening to the Half Size Me podcast and eventually becoming a community member is also what gave me the confidence to go with weights while losing weight.
katchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 02:10 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Several years ago I lost 20 lbs just by focusing on weight lifting (I did a lot of Cathe and a bit of Vedral) and then walking/taekwondo/kickboxing for cardio a couple times a week (because I was training for my black belt). Before I knew it the weight fell off - and yes, I did stop eating snacks late in the evening. Otherwise not much else changed in my eating.

At that time I took two things DVD instructors said to heart. They were:

“Don’t be afraid to lift heavy weights. They will do nice things for you in the end.” Cathe Friedrich - Pure Strength Legs

“If you’re going to have a big butt, have a GREAT (as in fantastic) big butt!” Gin Miller

Both ladies are spot-on. GO for it!!

One thing though - you might find it helpful to do a mix of weight training routines. So maybe heavy/medium/light full body (1 each) per week or a couple of weeks full body, then change it up with splits and then back to full body and mix in some variety in weight load and rep volume. Ultimately it is time under tension. Cardio doesn’t have to be killer to work. Walks or some short HIIT (30 min. Or less) 2x a week should be sufficient... maybe alternate with walks. Whatever suits your fancy and doesn’t leave you lying on the floor feeling wiped out. If you’re still feeling awesome 2-3 hours after your workout, you are good to go.

(PS - I need to get back to this because I’m up in weight again due in part to overwhelming stress... but I will get it done!)

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 03:43 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
So one of my goals for 2019 is to get stronger. I had a really crappy Jan in terms of working out and barely got in any workouts. I have tried all of the Cathe Lite workouts and I like them. I was thinking of doing a rotation with them but I feel like I am in perpetual weight loss mode. I do have about 15 pounds to lose. But I’m thinking of starting a strength based rotation using Cathe Xtrain and Ripped wit HIiT and May be gym styles.

Thanks all for your help.
If you want to lift heavy, one thing you could think about is limiting cardio to HIIT of no more than about 20 minutes. According to the advice of strength coaches that I find credible, this helps with conditioning without overtaxing you. You are going to need recovery if you are truly lifting heavy. Long intense cardio sessions do not aid recovery. I do heavy weight training 3x per week and this is my focus. I limit my cardio to using a rowing machine for 20 minutes max maybe twice a week--4 minutes regular pace, 1 minute flat out, repeat 4 times. For me, this is enough HIIT. Additionally, I also walk and do yoga (not intense 90 minute power yoga routines). This works for me.

PS Serious weight training is incredibly taxing. Unless this is supported by adequate nutrition, you'll get run down and injury-prone.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 07:59 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
If you want to lift heavy, one thing you could think about is limiting cardio to HIIT of no more than about 20 minutes. According to the advice of strength coaches that I find credible, this helps with conditioning without overtaxing you. You are going to need recovery if you are truly lifting heavy. Long intense cardio sessions do not aid recovery. I do heavy weight training 3x per week and this is my focus. I limit my cardio to using a rowing machine for 20 minutes max maybe twice a week--4 minutes regular pace, 1 minute flat out, repeat 4 times. For me, this is enough HIIT. Additionally, I also walk and do yoga (not intense 90 minute power yoga routines). This works for me.

PS Serious weight training is incredibly taxing. Unless this is supported by adequate nutrition, you'll get run down and injury-prone.
Very good advice
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 09:32 AM  
GeekyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchaser1 View Post
I have lost more than 20 pounds since last April with just monitoring my calorie intake and heavy lifting at the gym focusing on 1-2 body parts per workout. The only cardio I do is walking the dog for a 1/2 hour. Due to hashimotos, exercise induced asthma and osteomylitis in the hips that tore my labrum which required surgery I had to totally tweak my workout mindset. I went from running 6 miles a day to losing interest for many years which caused weight gain and depression. I would work out sporadically but never found a workout that made me feel that runner's high. Last April I took the gamble, I was in the obese category and I was going against the grain and did what made me happy and not burned out. I love weight lifting, it has changed my life, I am more confident, energetic and do not feel drained like I did with cardio. I also look forward to going to the gym more than I ever had running. Listening to the Half Size Me podcast and eventually becoming a community member is also what gave me the confidence to go with weights while losing weight.
Congratulations on your weight loss! I've been stuck in a can't-get-motivated-to-exercise rut, and I can't get excited about some of my old favorite workout routines. Cardio (aside from casual walks outside) does not appeal to me at all, and I've been tossing around the idea of doing a heavy weight lifting program, even though I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm going check out that podcast you mention.
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 11:13 AM  
Scorpio6

Thanks for sharing, I also have Hashimoto's.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuits, get stronger, joyce vedral, no cardio, strength, weight loss, weights only