Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-21, 01:19 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Oh the DOMS!

For the last 4 to 5 weeks or so I've been doing Pilates and some easy going walking. On Monday I decided I had to add in some weight work, so I did a lower body workout consisting of squats, lunges etc. with moderate weights. Well I had DOMS for 2 days. It wasn't the worst case I've ever had, but it was enough to interfere with daily activities. Climbing the stairs was hard etc. I had to take 2 days off. Recovery takes longer than it used to.

Maybe I should have done a total body workout, because now I've got to face doing the upper body and going through it all again. Any suggestions?

I guess the moral of the story is don't give up weight workouts for a month because you'll pay the price when you go back to them.
Old 12-09-21, 01:56 PM  
alisoncooks

Yes! I had this experience recently, but in reverse! I have been using weights but decided to throw in workout #1 from Patricia Friberg’s A Bottom Line & a Core Defined. It’s only 15 minutes long, but I guess it hit some neglected muscles.

I guess the moral of the story is DIVERSIFY!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 02:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post

I guess the moral of the story is DIVERSIFY!
Yes! I am a big believer in cross training plus I just love variety.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 07:35 PM  
muggle

Yes! Around the time I turned 50 (56 now) I noticed recovery took longer. I’ve also lost so much endurance and stamina. I’m grieving for my beloved workouts. But I’ve learned to listen to my body and rest, stretch etc.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 07:50 AM  
Buzzer

I learned this trick when I used to run. After the workout, get in the shower and turn on the warm water. Not hot, just warm that is comfortable. I turn around and let all the muscles that I worked get used to the temperature. Then, tap it just a little bit cooler. Again, turn around and get the muscles used to the temperature. Keep tapping it down until it's as cool as you can stand... even then, I usually tap it down another time or two just for good measure.

The next day, even if you are sore, it will be way less than you would have been! I recently did this with a Cathe workout that I know will make me so sore I can barely move. The next day I was still sore, but more like a nagging soreness than a "I can't sit on the pot!!" sore. Plus it's good for inflammation in your body anyhow (or so I'm told)!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 12:07 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I'd want to take a cold shower in the winter. In summer it would be great.

Well I worked my upper body yesterday. Today I'm not nearly as sore as I was in the lower body, but I do have an all over feeling of tiredness and fatigue, so today will be a rest day. I just have to remember that it's temporary.

I think this is one of the reasons beginning exercisers get discouraged. It doesn't last forever, but it does hurt.
Old 12-10-21, 12:32 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I heard you with the DOMS, definitely not fun at all. Maybe doing some gentle Classical Stretch workouts would help to alleviate the soreness more quickly.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doms, muscle confusion, muscle soreness, recovery