Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-21, 07:03 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
I always hated when you could pick out who was going to be the modifier based on age or weight. I just hated the connotation that I need it because I am old and/or fat. I need it because I am injured or have an existing condition (or just plain hate a move) which may or may not be because I am old and/or fat.
Completely agree with this. I am not young and not thin but I am very fit and keep up really well with advanced intermediate and many advanced workouts. I really dislike the prejudice that for women being fit equals being thin. Men are not held to the same standard - they can be big, with some body fat, and can still be considered athletic.

One other thing I used to dislike was when Sue Mi of the Firm was ALWAYS the modifier in the Firm workouts. To me it fed into a prejudice that Asian women are delicate and must not be strong. I just don't think it's a good idea to try to deduce fitness from anyone's body size, either large or small.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 01:11 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
One other thing I used to dislike was when Sue Mi of the Firm was ALWAYS the modifier in the Firm workouts. To me it fed into a prejudice that Asian women are delicate and must not be strong. I just don't think it's a good idea to try to deduce fitness from anyone's body size, either large or small.
She also was only a lead on one video, if memory serves. But Sue Mi was not the only modifier. I know of many where Emily or Alison were, and a few with Allie (though not many). In the Fanny Lifter era, it was almost always Libby.
Old 12-10-21, 08:25 AM  
AnMrsDe

It used to bother me that you could always single out the modifier in workouts but not anymore. Being a seasoned exerciser, I know exactly how to modify exercises for my joint issues but still keep things intensified. It took me years but I'm finally there! Cathe is now very easy to modify and I'm super close with Yvette Bachmann's workouts, since she's a rather "new YT" instructor. Finding that balance is the key for me to stay injury-free, stay motivated and to maintain my endurance level.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 10:31 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think it's important to remember that whatever level you're at is okay. As long as you're being consistent you will continue to improve even if you don't really push yourself. It's fine to modify permanently.
Old 12-10-21, 02:50 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I’ve never been bothered if the word modify was used, I don’t have a negative connotation. ....
I have never had any negative connotations with the words "modifier" or "modifications." I modify every single workout I do. Seriously, I think some folks lay awake at night trying to find things to get offended about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm fine with the word. I'm annoyed by those people dialing it in and not really doing their job. How many modifiers have I seen in workouts doing full jumping jacks or other jumps or high-impact moves? If you're going to be the modifier, then BE the modifier and make it worth the effort.
Yup. And, that's if you can even see the modifier. I've seen workouts where the camera is rarely on the modifying exerciser.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 06:13 PM  
acey

I also never felt "modify" was negative. I remember one Cathe workout where she actually chants, "Modify, modify, modify..." lol.

I do remember doing an Amy Bento hi-lo workout where Uchenna was the "modifier" but really, how is a jumping jack easier than literally just jumping with your feet together, even if you might spin around? LOL

I'm modifying a lot these days. Especially any cardio moves on the floor, like burpees, jacks in push-up position (or anything in push-up position that isn't actually a pushup or a plank!).

Seem to recall that Madison, a well-known and very fit and young background exerciser, was often the modifier.

Last edited by acey; 12-10-21 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo
acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 08:16 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I think of modifying as simply adapting or personalizing the workout. I consider myself an advanced exerciser, not because I'm the strongest or fastest, but because I'm experienced and knowledgeable. I played sports throughout school and college. I know what my body needs and wants (and doesn't want) and I know when something doesn't feel right.

Sometimes a modified move isn't necessarily easier, just simpler. If I don't want to spin or pivot, I can march or lunge. I have a step workout that uses jumping jacks as a filler. I do squats.

If a workout is marketed to beginners, I think it's important to show easier/simpler modifications, with the reassurance that it's all good - just keep moving. Someone new to exercising may not know the options and think they have to do everything as shown.
Old 12-13-21, 05:23 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I’ve never been bothered if the word modify was used, I don’t have a negative connotation. Usually, I’m just happy there is one. I mostly do Jessica Smith, and my impression of her attitude is that all movement is good. I can’t remember what she says in every dvd, but I’ve never had the feeling that I was not as good because I did the modification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I modify too, it doesn’t bother me. If there isn’t a background modifier in the workout, I do my own mods. I’ve been working out long enough and learned enough lessons through injuries & rehab, that I know my limitations.
This is me also. It's never bothered me.
Old 12-13-21, 08:46 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
And, that's if you can even see the modifier. I've seen workouts where the camera is rarely on the modifying exerciser.
I love ACTUALLY seeing the modifier. Why mention/market/include if you're going to put them in the back row with the camera half off??

Best workouts are ones where you have the option to keep an angle where the modifications are constantly visible. Even if I don't use them, I usually learn something.

The term 'modify' has absolutely no negative connotations attached to it for me. It means what it means. Me and my kitty know I'm giving it my all no matter what!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-21, 09:24 AM  
imhere2dance

I modify things sometimes. And I don't always follow the modifier when I do. In other words, I like to modify the modifications. lol
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modification, modification language, modifications, modifier, modifiers