Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-21, 02:47 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I just thought of this last night. Have you tried Voltaren gel on your knee? It is specifically for arthritis. It is not cheap, but Walgreen's has a store brand called Diclofenac Gel that is less expensive. You could also try one of those creams with aspirin in them, and there are patches as well. Hope this helps.
I will keep in mind if that's the issue; thank you. For now, I don't know that it *is* arthritis, which is why I was hoping to hear some descriptions of what that feels like in the early stages, as well as other possibilities.
Old 11-02-21, 03:31 PM  
aspidistra

See a rheumatologist who will be able to diagnose osteoarthritis or other problems with the knee. Don't ignore this. This started for me in 2005 when I was 56. Before that I could fully bend my knees, sit on my heels, do a full lotus position, etc. When I got the knee damage I did not even know what caused it - climbing stairs or yoga or ballet. There was no one incident. Clearly I had overstretched my knees and damaged them. Tests showed I had torn my left knee meniscus in several places plus I had osteoarthritis in both knees. There was acute pain for many weeks that felt like broken glass and travelled all down both legs, and long after it healed I am still not able to fully bend my knees. I refused surgery as my sister had it and it did nothing. My rheumatologist told me that losing even 5 lbs would put less stress on the knees and he was right. As I lost some weight I lost the pain in my knees, but the left knee still goes out sometimes.

Osteoarthritis is from aging and the bones are rubbing against each other. The torn meniscus was from some wrenching movement I did not even know I had done. I have had to modify all exercise movements because of this. I have achieved at least moderate fitness and mobility since then. But it requires careful movements that do not stress the knees: no jumping or running, no high impact, no sudden stretches, and keeping the leg muscles strong to support the knee. Like very modified lunges or squats - not all the way down.

When I exercise I can never follow along with the instructor on the tape. I have to bend or stress the knee as minimally as possible to avoid new damage. Movements such as leg lifts that strengthen the thigh muscles are the best. Whole body strength is so important and lifting light weights keeps the core and arms stronger. I never have knee pain anymore - since I learned to be careful. Don't hesitate to get referred to a rheumatologist and ask questions.
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 06:15 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231102

Hi Donna!
I had some knee problems over the years but am feeling great following the program I mentioned in the thread above.

The program does a great job of strengthening feet/ankles/knees and making hamstrings and hips more flexible.

Worth looking into—-much of the best information is free!

Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 11:40 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=231102

Hi Donna!
I had some knee problems over the years but am feeling great following the program I mentioned in the thread above.

The program does a great job of strengthening feet/ankles/knees and making hamstrings and hips more flexible.

Worth looking into—-much of the best information is free!

Janet
I've had knee trouble for 30+ years--after running and doing step aerobics without stretching properly.

ANYWHO, when I first saw a reference here on VF to the kneesovertoesguy, I looked him up. I haven't yet signed up for his Zero program, but I've been doing a little backward walking and the hip/knee stretch he demonstrates, using a bench at the bottom of the bed, and I have found amazing relief. This guy is on to something.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 11:26 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I just thought of this last night. Have you tried Voltaren gel on your knee? It is specifically for arthritis. It is not cheap, but Walgreen's has a store brand called Diclofenac Gel that is less expensive. You could also try one of those creams with aspirin in them, and there are patches as well. Hope this helps.
My doctor recommended I use Voltaren (before my knee replacement surgery). I was skeptical but bought it and I was AMAZED at how much it helped. I don't know why or how but it was worth every penny.

But as you say, if you don't have arthritis, don't know if it would make a difference or not.
Old 11-10-21, 05:43 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Hi D...I've long been absent here dealing with knee arthritis which began five years ago when I was 65.

Knee problems appeared a year and a half apart, each first feeling like a persistent charley horse. It was medium-uncomfortable to walk, I couldn't walk naturally nor bend the legs completely.

I eventually sought Medicare PT successfully, tried shots, got an uploader brace for the more severely impaired knee and, recently, a compression brace for the less-injured knee. The orthopedist practice I now occasionally visit has two compartments, one for surgery, one for patients functioning without surgery.

I continued work with trainers at the same practice once my allotted PT was used and now telehealth around the house with gentle rebounding, bike, step, weights and bands. My VF days left me well equipped.

My trainer says not to worry about mild discomfort that resolves, but to discontinue movement that creates acute or lingering pain.

My discomfort has subsided since the initial injuries due to reduced inflammation and PT. I shop and function comfortably, but would not take a longer hike or city walk. The doctor said function is the bottom line regardless what's on X-rays.

As always, mileage varies. All the best.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee issues, knee pain