Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-05, 12:29 PM  
juneaucat
VF Supporter

Need help with embarrassing problem re: wet workout clothes & irritation

Hey all-

I felt dumb asking about this but I've been having a problem for about 6 months and it's getting old. If I don't immediately change out of my damp workout clothes, I get what I guess is adult diaper rash. I get red and irritated within a day or two on my bum. Not fun. I don't know if this is a yeast infection but it seems like one since any wetness/warmth for a period of time makes it act up. To get rid of it, I put my son's desitin on it. Yes, imagine the humiliation of putting diaper cream on yourself! It seems to work but I'm tired of dealing with this. I'm wondering if there are better precautions I could take (cornstarch, a different ointment, etc) that might work. I know I need to change as soon as possible but that isn't always easy to do but I try. Anyway, anyone had this or have suggestions?
Old 06-09-05, 12:42 PM  
lalavanb

have you tried making sure all the clothes you have on that part are made out of wicking fabrics so moisture has a better chance to evaporate, not sit trapped on your skin?

you might want to try using the bathroom right after a workout to dry off. it won't dry your clothes but at least you can get some of the surface moisture off.
lalavanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 12:46 PM  
juneaucat
VF Supporter

I'm wondering if I should wear cotton underwear or some sort of underwear made with wicking material. I don't know which would work best.
Old 06-09-05, 12:49 PM  
SurferGirl

Just so you know, I can relate. If I don't immediately shower after exercising, I get a yeast infection. I never used to have this problem. In fact, I used to dread working out after periods of not working out. Because, as soon as I started up again, I would get another infection. Now, I exercise in the morning, so I can shower afterwards. I ALWAYS wear mini-pads and change them frequently to keep myself dry. I also use baby wipes when I feel sweaty and have already showered. I can also suggest using baby powder to protect against moisture.

Can you tell I understand your situation?
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 12:53 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

It could also be made worse by the detergent you use in the laundry. I always do an extra rinse cycle with our laundry. Or else we get itchy!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 01:11 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Actually, cotton ISN'T wicking at all. It soaks up the sweat and keeps it right there next to your skin.

I love those running shorts with the built-in underwear. I only wear them if I'm outdoors, but they're perfect. You might want to try those. The built-in underwear is usually mesh, so your bum won't get so, um, soggy.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 01:28 PM  
lalavanb

cotton doesn't wick at all, so you're better off springing for one of the pricier wicking fabrics.

i found baby powder made mine worse... talc and perfumes in many powders can make irritation worse, so it may take a few tries to find the best powder for you. I prefer gold bond.

and when i know i won't be able to change quickly, i try to make sure my underwear and pants are wicking to prevent irritation... just one doesn't seem to be enough
lalavanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 03:23 PM  
SpiritYogi

Try Gold Bond powder. It works for just about any type of rash.
SpiritYogi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 05:35 PM  
gxm17
VF Supporter

Patagonia makes underwear in capilene which is a very soft technical (wicking) fabric. It's kinda pricey (unless you find a good sale) but the fabric is wonderful. They aren't the only company that makes wicking underwear but they're the only brand I've owned and can (highly) recommend.

I have no idea where I got the notion but I used to think that cotton was better because it "breathes" — actually it holds the sweat/moisture and is probably the worst thing to wear for a heavy workout.
gxm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-05, 05:51 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Some VFers go commando...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yeast infections