Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-19, 10:23 PM  
Leonana

I like intense workouts. But unfortunately, my bladder does not like high impact. I felt a pain in my lower abdomen, and my NP told me it was my bladder. I don't want to get surgery, so I've laid off the high impact. I also become exhausted if I do too much intense workouts in a row.

But I can do them and I enjoy them. They just don't work out for me more than once or twice a week.

Although, my idea of intense is probably not the same as most people's idea. I've never done Cathe, and doubt I ever could. Jessica Smith's older You Tube workouts can really exhaust me!
Old 01-24-19, 10:27 PM  
Leonana

Oops. Wrong thread.
Old 01-26-19, 10:27 AM  
counterclockwise

I’ll be 42 this year and I still do higher intensity workouts, but more like Firm Express and Tracie Long’s workouts where the jumping isn’t over the top.

Right now I’m doing Faster Way to Fat Loss and there is one HIIT and one Tabata-type workout a week. Last night was 12 rounds of 20 seconds sprinting followed by 40 seconds walking.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-19, 12:10 PM  
anjabear

I enjoy a sweat-fest!

I'm 56 and I love to work out hard. Right now I am totally getting into KCM workouts. I follow them with a CS as I've learned that doing CS really does help my body.

I don't think of myself as middle aged as I don't want to live to 112 years old. I do think of myself as young/old. Not middle aged as that seems old if I look around at many people my age. How can that be? I guess I pretty much go as my body dictates but go as hard as I can to feel good, look good, do my best, use it or lose it.

Old 01-26-19, 08:51 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Well, I like intense workouts still, but my body doesn't. Harumph
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-19, 10:57 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I read here often how most in their 40's and 50's do kinder and gentler workouts. Are there any middle aged people here that still like to jump and need to take breaks because the set was hard and you were out of breath? I like some yoga/pilates too, but I feel the best when my muscles still get a little fatigued and I get winded.

Just curious, how many 50 somethings here still enjoy the sweatfest? Or, am I of a dying breed?
I don't know if I'm supposed to post here yet (I'm not yet 40), but I agree with those who've discussed a few distinctions. For example, I've always liked some measure of cardio intensity but have never emphasized high impact, mainly to avoid injuries and similar problems. I don't believe that such problems are inevitable with high impact, but I can get a "good workout" without it.

Through my adult life, I've also used interval training, which by design has "breaks because the set was hard." My main reasons for using intervals are efficient use of time and some of their special benefits, but I also like them.

As it so happens, I have a search open for the phrase "interval training" (not because of this thread), and one of the current top hits is an AARP page from November 2018, "High-Intensity Interval Training: Why It Just May Be a ‘Miracle’ Workout." It specifically addresses an idea that people may be "too old" for intervals.

During my adult life, I've also always done strength training at a slower speed and with attention to form. I'm not sure if what I'm doing is supposed to be "kind and gentle" because it's also heavier instead of lighter, but strength training is used by and recommended to older people as well as younger. (When I write more posts here, I'll continue the 2018 discussion about strength training for older people: I'll note now that I have yet to see a reputable current source discouraging appropriate strength training for all older exercisers.)

Again I'm reminded of "Strength Training Elderly Nursing Home Patients," which featured "relatively heavy weight loads and reasonably high effort" as well as progression. "According to the lead trainer, patients liked the challenge of serious strength training and saw much more improvement than previous resistance exercise with light cuff weights."

If I don't have problems or something, I see myself using appropriate intervals and strength training in the decades to come.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, high intensity, intense workouts