Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-15, 01:25 PM  
bubbles76

Question for my Firmies and CIA lovers :)

One of my goals for the year is to get through all my virgin workouts. I have quite a bit of CIA workouts that I haven't gone through completely, as well as some old school Firm workouts that have been generously gifted to me .

I am planning on the following rotation for the month. The goal, as always, to increase strength, definition, and cardio endurance. I have made great strides in my lower body (barring calves, but I'm still a work in progress) so I'd hate to lose those strength gains. Please give me your opinions on my rotation:

Week 1
MON – Standing Legs
TUE – CIA Cardio – Christi Taylor Happy Hour Hi/Lo
WED – Upper Body
THU – CIA Cardio – Step - CIA 2702 – Aerobic Euphoria: Step Euphoria
FRI – Super Sculpt
SAT – CIA Cardio – Kickbox – CIA 2203 – Cardio Strike Zone
SUN – Rest or Yoga

Week 2
MON –Firm Strength
TUE – CIA Cardio – Hi/Lo – CIA 2702 – Aerobic Euphoria: Hi/Lo Euphoria
WED – Firm Cardio
THUR – CIA Cardio – Step – CIA 2503 – Surging Step and Sculpt
FRI – Maximum Body Sculpting
SAT – CIA Cardio – Kickbox – CIA 2603 – Criss Cross Cardio
SUN - *Rest or Yoga

Week 3
MON – Upper Body Split
TUE – CIA Cardio – Bootcamp – CIA 2605 – Cardio Camp
WED – Lower Body Split
THU – CIA Cardio – Kickbox – CIA 2505 – Kickbox Boot Camp
FRI – Boot Camp 3 in 1 (one 40 minute routine)
SAT – CIA Cardio – Step – CIA 2801 – All Cardio Step
SUN – Rest or Yoga

Week 4
MON – Bust and Butt
TUE – CIA Cardio – Intervals – CIA 2401 – Cardio Crazy
WED – The Tortoise
THU – CIA Cardio - Step - Christi Taylor Steppin' Zone
FRI – The Hare
SAT – CIA Cardio – Hi/Lo - CIA 2202 - All Out Hi/Lo
SUN - Rest or yoga

Thanks so much!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day

Last edited by bubbles76; 01-04-15 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Changed the cardio workout for Saturday on week four
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 02:25 PM  
Mandy

Wow, that looks like a great rotation! I like seeing CIA and Firm together like that. I don't know how your knees are but the last week has a lot of step including tall box work. Steamin Cardio does have tall box climbs I remember. If your knees can handle step one day and leg press exercises the next then go for it. If you have sensitive knees, I would sub a hi/lo or kickboxing in between step or Firm's with Leg press.

I'm motivated to start a rotation like this! Thanks!
Old 01-04-15, 03:23 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks so much for the feedback! All these workouts are virgins, so I wasn't quite sure where all the strong tall box work was. I will sub in a hi/lo workout, maybe a Christi or another CIA that I haven't done.

ETA: I changed the cardio workout on Saturday for week four to have Hi/Lo. I will be doing CIA 2202 All Out Hi/Lo.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 01-05-15, 04:44 PM  
Sandrine

Hi, Bubbles!
This is a very interesting idea for a rotation. I do those older Firms regularly, but, like you, have a stack of CIA's from a generous vf-er that I really need to attack. I frequently use the Firm's 90-day rotation, but modify it to make it more Strength-Cardio-strength-cardio-flexibility. I've usually used Cathe's step (or Gilad or Keli, if I'm not up to Cathe!) for the cardio, but your idea of using those CIA's is a really good one.

Did you start this today? Would you consider posting any thoughts you have on this as you go along? Selfishly, I would love to hear how this combination of workouts works out!

Sandrine
PS Is that Tiny Bubble on your avatar? Soooo cute!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-15, 06:34 PM  
bubbles76

Sandrine, sure I'll post my thoughts. Glad you're interested Yes, I started the rotation today. So far, so good. I know that the Firm workouts in Weeks 3 and 4 are classified as Cardio+Strength and not pure Sculpt workouts, but I think it will workout okay. I've read that the cardio in those are minimal compared to other C+S. My goals are to increase strength and definition, or at least maintain, particularly in lower body.

ETA: Yes, that's Tiny Bubbles in my avatar
Old 01-06-15, 05:06 PM  
Sandrine

Hi, again, Bubbles,
Any good DOMS from Standing Legs?

I was thinking about your rotation again last night (which might be sort of pathetic, I guess ) and had 2 suggestions for tweaks, once you get into it a bit.
My first thought was that you might want to switch weeks 2 and 3. The Firms from week 3 are more total body than those in week 2, and, imo, not quite as tough. Also, just fyi, Maximum Body is one of the easiest/best workouts to modify in terms of the amount of poundage you use, out there. Putting week 3 after week 1 gives your body a change from doing split w/o's, which come back in your current week 2.

My other thought was with week 4. Tortoise and Hare both have leg press (Hare has 2 sets of approx. 16 reps each, can't remember exactly w/Tort). These are both easily modifiable poundage-wise, too, and I think you'll find the "ballroom aerobics" to be, well, movement, rather than actual aerobics. As Mandy mentioned above, Steamin' cardio also has leg press, but I can't remember exactly how it's done in that one. To give your hamstrings recovery time, what about putting the CIA between the Tort and the Hare, and wrapping up the week with SC?

Also, from our recent discussion about Cathe's MIC on another thread, I'm guessing that you will find the "cardio" in Tort, Hare and even Firm Cardio to be minimal. Just have fun with it! I use it to get in some movement and to move the lactic acid out of my muscles, if I want to increase my poundage. (or at least that's what I tell myself.)

Anyway, thanks for sharing such a great idea for pairing up some older workouts.
Sandrine
Old 01-06-15, 06:29 PM  
bubbles76

Hi Sandrine!

Believe it or not, my legs are sore, but not as much as I thought they would be from Standing Legs. I guess because I had done Leaner Legs the week before, and I'm mentally comparing Also, I didn't go over 15 pound dumbbells with this workout, as it was my first time doing it and I wanted to gauge it. Some spots I even used a pair of 12's. Additionally, I don't have ankle weights, so no outer thigh soreness at all.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will switch weeks 2 and 3, and probably take out Steamin' Cardio. If it's that much leg presses, I definitely don't want to end the week on it. I think I will sub with Christi Taylor's Steppin' Zone. No Power 7's and 15's to mess with my lower body, so I think I'm safe lol! Or maybe another kickbox CIA, if I can find another in my collection that I haven't done.
Old 01-07-15, 09:32 PM  
bubbles76

Had to sub tomorrow's workout. I didn't realize that Keli Robert's Step It Strong was an interval workout and not pure step.
Old 01-11-15, 08:51 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

That looks like a great rotation! I still use most of those Firm's on a regular basis.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 04:05 PM  
Sandrine

Bubbles, I think you've hit on a good combination with this rotation! I did Firm Cardio yesterday and a CIA with Gay Gasper (title is Greatest step W/o, can't remember the number) today, and they complemented each other so well. I went a bit heavy on the leg press in FC, and today's step worked out the soreness. I want to join you for at least the next 2 weeks, but goofed up the order of the Firms for this week.

Now that you've completed week one, what are your thoughts?

Tags
cia firm rotation, classic firm, classic firms, firm cia rotation, firm rotation, old school firm