Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-05, 01:12 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I was always told not to use antibacterial soap "down there" because it can upset the balance of bacteria and cause a yeast infection.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 01:39 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

pratima, that is a good call

I should clarify, I'm sorry for my misinterpretation of what the doc said to do. My Doc says not to use any soap in the 'crotchular' areas (that is my own made-up word ) IF I can help it and if I can't - which, we ALL need some soap some times, to use the most gentle soap possible. But she says to use the antibacterial soap on inner thighs, under boobs, the other sweaty spots where bacteria grows and rashes happen (but always to use as little as you can get away with).

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 02:49 PM  
Cxg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
Some VFers go commando...

I with the commando crew. I pretty much do all of my working out at home in men's boxers or boxer briefs.

Cynthia in Boston: Who continues to find that the "vent" on men's underpants provides a refreshing breeze during squats!!
Cxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-05, 10:30 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
I was always told not to use antibacterial soap "down there" because it can upset the balance of bacteria and cause a yeast infection.
I don't think antibacterial soap is a good idea in general, at least the ones with triclosan in. They kill off some bacteria, but can make the surviving ones stronger. Antibacterial products can cause as many problems with bacteria becoming resistant as does overuse of antibiotics. Instead , something with tea tree oil (a natural antibacterial that works in a different way), or alcohol (not for the privates, but for disinfecting in general).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 12:25 AM  
juneaucat
VF Supporter

I got some Butt Paste today and some wicking underwear from Dick's. Awesome since it isn't my shorts that need to wick but instead the panties. They are really pretty and were on sale! They said they could be rinsed out and will air dry quickly so I got a couple of pairs.
Old 06-11-05, 03:03 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

A few kinda picky points here from a veteran of the skin wars. What I say here comes from hard experience, I promise!

Often a rash that pops up after you've been in a moist, warm garment for several hours isn't anything more than prickly heat aka heat rash aka diaper rash (but not exactly that, since you haven't also been sitting in ammonia, we hope).

Desitin (yes, it's OK for adult use), zinc oxide, even A&D ointment will often help this. The most important thing is to keep the skin clean and DRY.

Yeast infections (candida) often occur in areas of skin folds or on mucous membranes--under breasts or in other skin creases, or vaginally. Usually the skin is reddened and moist, and there is a "cottage cheese-y" consistency exudate visible. The area is also intensely itchy. This is when you use the OTC vaginal creams or athlete's foot creams (they are the same family of drugs). This one is especially fond of the warm/moist areas.

Ringworm is not viral but is also a fungal infection which is usually sensitive to the same kind of medications used to treat Candida infections. It often hits extremities or even the scalp and isn't so moisture related as Candida.

Neosporin and other antibacterial creams and ointments are best used to treat actual bacterial infections of the skin, or under dressings for abrasions or other skin breaks. They can be soothing to some rashes just from the emollient effects they provide, but their use is best reserved for skin breaks or lesions which appear to be becoming infected.

The best course of action seems to be to get out of the clothes you've exercised in ASAP, especially if they're wet from perspiration. If you can't shower or bathe, use a washcloth or wipe to clean the sweat from as much of you as possible before changing clothes. Use wicking fabrics if you must spend some time in the same clothes you exercise in, to minimize the potential for skin eruptions.

We can never escape the fact that we walk around wearing a cloak of micro-organisms. Many of them are beneficial, some are neutral, and some can be real nasties. What we want to do is not give the latter a chance to gain a foothold. Because they're crafty little buggers, and given an opportunity to gain a foothold (well, no feet to speak of, but you know ), they will.

There's nothing embarrassing about this topic, it's just one we all face and need to deal with knowledgeably.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-05, 11:25 AM  
gypsygirl64

Jennifer, great advice/post....

For me the best thing to do is simply change my underwear as soon as possible. I have even started doing it DURING working out. For example, I walked/ran 2.5 miles and then did yoga. Yuck, not only was it gross feeling but it made me COLD. So the next time I went from a sweat-inducing workout to a non-sweat inducing one - I changed my undies! It worked great!

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-05, 08:32 AM  
dianairene

This is a really timely post (since summer is here) and reminds me of why I started running butt nekkid (which is how I define going commando) on my elliptical in the first place. A few strategically placed potted plants on the windowsill even allow me to do this with the shades open. Haven't done it in a while but perhaps it's time to start again.

Juneaucat, you're obviously not alone!
dianairene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yeast infections