Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-22, 08:04 AM  
Izzy

I used to do one workout 60 mins+ a day. I was too busy with kids, work etc to try and figure out multiple workouts each day. Now I do daily walks and/or bike rides and add on Essentrics/yoga/Ellen or JS. My add on are usually 30-45 mins depending on the day. I really liked it when ETV starting adding 1 hour classes but sometimes I just don't have the time. But I value the classes and get a lot out of them.
Old 06-29-22, 09:16 AM  
kat999

I used to love a good 60- or even 75-minute workout, but these days the only kind of longer workouts I'll do have to involve the outdoors. If I'm going to do a 60-minute workout at home in one fell swoop, a lot of factors have to be just right (weather, day of the week, time of day, etc.). I just don't have that much time in my day to do 60 minutes all at once. But I'll do up to 80 minutes and even longer if I'm outside, because the added benefit of weather and scenery helps.

For a yoga class, I'd probably prefer 45 minutes. 30 feels too short to me.
Old 06-29-22, 09:35 AM  
Lori_Michigan

30-45 makes consistency easier since I don't get too wiped out, plus I can add on a CS stretch if I have time

Anything longer and I'm just ravenous or get injuries too easily
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 10:21 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I prefer stringing together multiple workouts. 20 minutes each for two to three workouts is my sweet spot.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 12:39 PM  
Dancing Queen

My ideal rotation is
  • Daily: 30 minutes of cardio
  • Mon / Weds / Sat: add 30 minutes of strength training
  • Tue / Thu / Fri / Sun: add 10 minutes of PT plus 20 minutes of gentle yoga or stretching or posture work
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 01:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

30 is my mark.

oddly enough, i could do 2, 30-min workouts (break in between) and it would be fine. i guess mentally, 2 short workouts sound better than a huge 60 min chunk.

when i first started working out to DVDs 1 hour was fine. must be my short attention span and impatience these days.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 02:05 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’ve been stringing together a 20-35 minute iFit treadmill workout followed by a 30-35 minute Caroline Girvan Iron Series Workout during the week.

On the weekends, if I have time I’ll add another treadmill workout for a total time of 80 - 90 minutes.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 06:11 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I like to start with a 20-30 minute workout and then add another workout if I'm feeling up to it. I'm fine with stringing several short workouts together too. I usually feel too much dread to face doing a full hour long workout.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 08:45 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I prefer 30 minutes, sometimes 45 is okay depending on the workout. I do sometimes string two together for a total 50-60 minutes, but only when my schedule gets messed up.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 01:19 PM  
donnamp

My preference is 30-45 minutes and I really like to mix and match.

When I have time, I also like to do multiple workouts, I think an ideal day for me would be to do a 30 min workout in the morning, a 20 min walk or something in the afternoon and a 20 min stretch/yoga in the evening.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duration and frequency, multiple workouts per day, workout length