Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-15, 05:13 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagiles View Post
Hi Bfit,

My gynecologist prescribed it a month ago but just started using it a week ago. These types of estrogen are totally different than whole body hormones. They are considered local hormones. I have tried Vagifem which I liked and Vesicare which did not work for me. I have had absolutely no side effects. I will PM you other details that I can't share here. My doctor said it should also help with overactive bladder and I truly hope so

Felecia
Based on a conversation I had with my gyno last year, I believe what Felecia has posted is correct regarding eString being a local hormone versus a whole body or systemic hormone. For this reason, my gyno thought my oncologist might consider letting me use it, even though I've had hormone receptive breast cancer. I didn't want to pursue it, so I don't have any input on how well it does or doesn't work.

If you are interested in a non-hormonal product to help with the issue of vaginal dryness, I would recommend Carlson Key-E Suppositories made from Vitamin E and coconut oil. I've tried a few different non-hormonal products and prefer these over the rest. There are also lots of positive reviews on Amazon.

ETA: Just looked at my med records and it was VagiFem, not eString that my gyno wanted to approach my oncologist about. I think they are similar though - very low dose vaginal estrogen. But I won't use either.

Last edited by LAC; 10-29-15 at 08:16 PM.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 07:42 PM  
BamaTanya

I am no expert, but my mother died from breast cancer and I'm a 3 year survivor (and counting!)
I know about the studies linking hormone replacement therapy and breast cancer because my mother was on hrt before her diagnosis.
Four years after my mother's death, I was diagnosed. My tumors were estrogen and progesterone receptor positive. Yes, positive for both. I was premenopausal and the naturally occurring feminine hormones in my body were fueling the cancer. Through medication and complete hysterectomy my oncologist is trying to minimize my risk of recurrence.
Because of my experience, I plan to avoid synthetic and bioidentical and local hormone treatments. I hope any negative symptoms are manageable without them.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 08:14 PM  
LAC

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I wanted to wish Karen Beckwith and BamaTanya both a long and continued remission! I was diagnosed with ER/PR BC 11 years ago while still pre-menopausal and am 10 years in remission after mastectomy, chemotherapy, five years of adjuvent treatment and a total hysterectomy. My diagnosis came 18 months after my mother's death from ovarian cancer. I am with you on avoiding hormone therapy, no matter what kind!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 11:18 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I wanted to wish Karen Beckwith and BamaTanya both a long and continued remission! I was diagnosed with ER/PR BC 11 years ago while still pre-menopausal and am 10 years in remission after mastectomy, chemotherapy, five years of adjuvent treatment and a total hysterectomy. My diagnosis came 18 months after my mother's death from ovarian cancer. I am with you on avoiding hormone therapy, no matter what kind!
Thanks so much! I'm happy to hear you are 10 years in remission and hope to be able to say that myself one day (it's been 2-1/2 years for me). So sorry about your Mom!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yeast infections