Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-21, 08:15 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
I use a spray on product called Keranique along my temples when I started noticing some thinning there about a year ago. It's minoxidil but not terribly expensive (I see it on Amazon now for $17.69 and the bottle lasts me several months at a time).

I also put a scoop of Vital Proteins collagen in my tea morning and evening and it has REALLY improved the texture of my hair (and the strength of my nails, too) and stopped a lot of the shedding. My hairdresser now recommends this to all her clients of a certain age after seeing how well it's worked for my hair.
My mother-in-law uses that brand's shampoo, but it has never really done anything for her. I used it once at her house and it burned and irritated my scalp. I should ask her about it again though.

I think I should give the Vital Proteins a try though! I have seen it at my health food store and thought gosh maybe I should try that. Thanks!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 07:07 AM  
mandie123

I started having alot of hair loss after my Mother passed 2 years ago,and it just got worse and worse,I've now lost over half of my hair,but because it started out so thick people don't really notice yet(but I do).Tried EVERY hair loss product on the planet from shampoos to high end hair vitamins,even prescriptions.The only thing I haven'ttried is the laser cap,and prp treatments,both are expensive and I've read pros and cons,don't want to waste any more money!The only thing that has I think kept some of my hair has been rogaine,but it's a lifetime commitment if you start.I also think it may be somewhat genetic as I was the only one in my family that had thick hair.I have heard rosemary oil works just as well as rogaine without the side effects.
Old 02-17-21, 02:32 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks, all, for your helpful replies. It helps my anxiety to know that I'm not the only one out there struggling with this.

I have very sensitive skin, so I'm going to try to natural route first. I ordered some Vital Proteins Collagens (so glad this was suggested since I had been thinking of trying it anyway!) and I also ordered this serum on Amazon since it has all of the natural items that others have suggested in this thread: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hair-.../dp/B07GC56H36

If I can at least get the shedding under control, I'd be happy with that.

I also ordered some thyroid support since I don't think I get enough of these vitamins/minerals in my diet: https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus-.../dp/B00F9IR33K. I have long thought a lot of my problems are thyroid related, so I'll try a small amount at first to see if this helps at all.

Thanks again, VFers! Much love to all.
Old 02-17-21, 03:47 PM  
Negin

When carrying out any of these methods, remember to be patient. Normal hair growth should resume within 6 months after starting any supplement or making any dietary or other change.

Don’t depend only on supplements. Diet is very important.
--
BIOTIN plays a key role in forming keratin, a protein that comprises healthy hair. It helps in preventive treatment for baldness
It is interesting that biotin levels fall progressively throughout pregnancy (and that is when many women lose hair).
Taking a 5-10 mg supplement can thicken hair shafts and encourage new growth. Not everyone needs to take that much unless if they're concerned about hair loss. Most B-complex supplements have sufficient biotin otherwise.
There are no known cases of biotin toxicity, particularly since it is water-soluble.
Biotin is rapidly metabolized and excreted, so it’s easy to be deficient.

To me, biotin is the most important.
--
Gently Massage Scalp - at least once a week, but preferably more
Press the bristles of your brush on your scalp and make several strokes from your hairline to the base of your neck.
Then make small circles over your entire scalp.
Alternate these methods for 90 seconds.

Treat your hair gently.

Lie Upside Down
Lie on a slant board OR have your head hanging off the edge of the bed for 15 to 20 minutes per day. This will cause blood to flow to the scalp. Blood flow and improved circulation are very important in preventing and treating hair loss. You an also massage your scalp while in this position.

Yoga
The regular practice of yoga and certain inverted poses help a lot in slowing down and preventing hair loss by boosting circulation.

Using a satin pillowcase may help because your hair is less likely to catch and pull on it as it would on a cotton pillowcase. A side benefit is that it helps save your hairstyle for another day, so you aren't pulling out more hair in the styling process. You can get them on amazon.

Use the most natural hair products you can find.
Look for ingredients such as biotin, silica, Aloe Vera gel, vitamins C and E, jojoba oils, chamomile, marigold, ginseng, or passionflower. Most health-food stores carry a variety of natural hair care products.

Hair is fragile when it is wet. Gently pat your hair dry and squeeze out remaining moisture with a towel.

Calm a hectic schedule. Stress signals the body to produce cortisol, which elevates levels of hair-loss-promoting hormones.

The best shampoos contain hyaluronic acid. This natural lubricating substance coats and penetrates hair follicles, fortifying existing strands and stimulating growth by drawing in water and nutrients.
Episilk Shampoo
John Masters Organics Evening Primrose Shampoo

There are several brands of sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfate shampoos are said to cause hair loss in many people.
Traite by Mastey
Pureology
Onesta

Alter your hairstyle and part in order to avoid constantly pulling your hair in the same spot or direction. Amish women, who wear their hair pulled back tightly the same way every day of their lives, experience baldness at their part. Hair loss is often from the eternal ponytail.

Try to Avoid:
• Hard brushing
• Tight braids
• Pulling hair back too tightly can make the hair thin in the front
• Pulling hair too hard when blow-drying
• Blow drying if and when you can
• Commercial shampoos or rinses with artificial colors, preservatives, and dyes
• Any shampoo with Sodium Laureth Sulfate. It's the ingredient that makes the shampoo foam up.
• Harsh chemical products and hair spray
• Pantene products causes hair loss for many
• Never use a curling iron on wet or damp hair. This can cause serious breakage and damage in that spot. It is best to blow your hair all the way dry and not leave any wetness, not even a little.
• Avoid backcombing or teasing hair. It is damaging, plain and simple.
• Do not wash your hair with too hot water.
• Do not wash your hair more than twice a week.
• Do not comb the hair backwards. Use a good quality brush/comb. Avoid excessive brushing.

Fabulous 50s has a video on this. I'm sure that there are other videos on YouTube also.

Here are some more video:
EFFECTIVE Hair Loss Treatments - this doctor is great.

How to treat HAIR LOSS- Part 2

Menopausal Hair Loss? Regrow Hair Before + After

Tips for EXTREME HAIR LOSS from STRESS Dr Dray

Hair loss Q&A with a dermatologist: hair care tips 💇🤔

How to Manage Hair Loss | DERMSquared | Dr Sam in The City

How To Grow Your Hair Long, Thick And Healthy OVER 50!
Old 02-17-21, 04:30 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Gosh, thanks, Negin! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me so much info. I'll review it all tonight. I will definitely pick up some biotin, I could very well be deficient in that. I will also get some John Masters shampoo, I love all of their products.

This was very helpful, thanks again!
Old 02-17-21, 08:12 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post

I also put a scoop of Vital Proteins collagen in my tea morning and evening and it has REALLY improved the texture of my hair (and the strength of my nails, too) and stopped a lot of the shedding. My hairdresser now recommends this to all her clients of a certain age after seeing how well it's worked for my hair.
Is this powder in the blue container?
https://www.vitalproteins.com/produc...lagen-peptides
I use 2 scoops every morning in my coffee. 2 cups of coffee with one scoop in each cup. Been using it since July and my granddaughter said the other day my hair looks thicker. My nails grow insanely fast too! I have the subscription from their website.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 08:27 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

About 5-6 years ago I started freaking out about what looked like - my thinning hair. I bought and used woman's Rogain with Minoxidil for several months. Religiously and as directed. ZERO results. NOTHING. I gave up and my hair, while still fine in texture, is still looking exactly the same (but not worse) than before I used the Rogain. This was my experience.
Old 02-17-21, 08:46 PM  
Gams

Because I have the same problem, I find myself checking out the hair on other women and I was surprised to find A LOT of women with this problem and a lot of them are very young, too. I see a lot of thinning sides and high hairlines and wide parts on girls even in their twenties. It makes me feel a little better, but I also don’t understand what’s going on.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 10:29 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I had some success with Women's Rogaine but (1) it's a commitment - every day without fail and (2) it changed both the color and texture of my hair at the roots. My colorist pointed it out. I've switched over to Nutrafol hair vitamins and also changed up my hair products and seem to be holding steady....no growth in the thinning areas but no more loss either. Some of my loss is genetic, as my mom's hair and HER mom's hair started thinning post-menopause.
Old 02-17-21, 10:53 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I had a thyroid blood test last year, and according to my doctor, it was "fine". My general doctor and gynecologist both weren't concerned at all. I have always felt my thyroid could use some help but so far no doctor has taken me seriously.

I've had so much bloodwork done over the past two years, and the only thing was mild anemia about two years ago. I changed my diet and that self corrected. Other than that, and my gallbladder removal, nothing in my bloodwork points to anything. I don't take any medications, but I try to eat a very nutrient dense diet and I try to keep up my vitamin D with a UVB sunlamp at home. I also use magnesium spray. I take a B vitamin and lactoferrin. I track my macros and most of the time eat a very balanced diet. I eat a variety of foods and get adequate protein/carbs/fats. I think it's the drop in estrogen as of late.
A friend of mine struggled to lose weight. She is 47. She said she ate 1000 calories per day and still couldn’t lose weight. Tbh, I have to admit I wondered if she was counting correctly or not aware of what she was eating. Anyway, she recently lost 70 pounds and looks great. She believes it was her thyroid, despite her tests showing normal thyroid levels of T4. She said you also have to check T3, and doctors don’t check for that. She recommends this website. This doctor sells supplements, but he has free information about T3. Here is one of the articles.

https://www.restartmed.com/what-is-reverse-t3/

She also said her body doesn’t absorb regular thyroid medication and she needs it in liquid form. She couldn’t get liquid thyroid medication from her regular doctor, so went to a naturopath, who prescribed it. After she started taking this medication and lepton supplements, she was able to lose weight.

Tags
gall bladder, hair, hair loss, hair thinning, perimenopause