Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-15, 03:36 PM  
cpcathy

I don't cut my own hair, but Ellen Bursyn's hair in that photo is to die for. Love it.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 09:58 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Ellen looks gorgeous in that photo, and her hair is styled to look that fantastic! She definitely doesn't look that good stepping out of the shower.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 06:56 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Ellen looks gorgeous in that photo, and her hair is styled to look that fantastic! She definitely doesn't look that good stepping out of the shower.
No, I doubt she looks that good stepping out of the shower.

The really great thing about this cut, though, is that I have to do very little to get the style. Right out of the shower, I spray in some Suave gel on my head, scrunch the hair around with my fingers, and let it dry. When it's dry, I brush my fingers through (or a wide-tooth comb), and voila--I get those great soft waves!

When it grows out, I'll probably have to throw some hot rollers on to make it wave as nicely, especially since it is only my grey hair that has any body to it.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 08:21 AM  
cherimac

I has taken 6 months for my hair to grow out of that disaster of a cut! I have had good luck with Supercuts and Great Clips too.
Old 03-20-15, 04:23 PM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
LOL, Debbie--I'm the same way! An hour after I saw Downton's Lady Mary with her bob, I was in front of the mirror, snip-snip-snipping, and 6 inches of hair was in the waste basket. Is your hair short or long?
I have short, layered hair (as seen in my avatar!) It's pretty easy for me to get a good cut!
Old 03-20-15, 04:32 PM  
bubbles76

I so want short hair! Sadly, I do not have the features for it, and am far too lazy for the maintenance.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 06:23 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I so want short hair! Sadly, I do not have the features for it, and am far too lazy for the maintenance.
Bubbles, although both women and men have been telling me how flattering my new short cut is, I'll probably just enjoy it for a season and then let it grow long again. You're right--short hair does require more maintenance. I've been noticing how much faster it shows the oil. With long hair I could get by with two shampoos per week--now it's three. Plus, a short cut doesn't hold up at all well in urban wind tunnels.

How long is your hair? Do you ever trim it yourself?
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 11:20 PM  
bubbles76

Marya, I have naturally curly, coarse hair. Think something between Rachel True and Leela James. It's right above shoulder length when curly, but past my bra strap when straight No way would I attempt to trim it myself lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 12:50 AM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Marya, I have naturally curly, coarse hair. Think something between Rachel True and Leela James. It's right above shoulder length when curly, but past my bra strap when straight No way would I attempt to trim it myself lol!
Wow--your hair must be beautiful, Bubbles! And it probably takes a long time to dry. Yes, self-trimming would certainly be a challenge. I wonder if short curly coarse hair is easier than long to self-trim. A DF has been self-trimming--with nail scissors (I kid you not)--her short curly hair for the past 40 years. And I'd never have known if she hadn't told me! Those curls can hide a lot of mistakes.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 09:04 AM  
Eibhinn

I cut my own hair when it is long, but I can't manage the back when it's short. My hair is curly, and I eventually gave up on finding a hairdresser who could cut it properly. And I found there was generally an inversely proportional relationship between the amount of money I spent on the cut and how well it turned out (related to the seemingly inversely proportional relationship between how much a hairdresser is paid and their willingness to do what their clients want). When I decided to go shorter with my hair I found the best strategy was to research curly hair cutting techniques, teach them to my partner, and then guide him along as he cut my hair. We essentially tag team: he does the bulk of the cutting for length, and then I go through and do some detail work to give it more shape. Works for me. I can probably dig out some links to resources I found helpful for learning to cut curly hair if people are interested, but the techniques we use are very curly specific and would look absolutely horrible on hair that is straight or ever straightened, just as the straight hair cutting techniques 99% of professional hairdressers use are fairly disastrous on curly hair.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair