Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-15, 06:18 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
I actually live in downtown Seattle. A community college in my neighborhood needs "guinea pigs" for its cosmetology trainees, so I might give them a try.
I once tried that. Only once...so good luck with that. Seriously though it is nice giving a trainee a chance and it does save money.

I have naturally curly hair and cutting curly hair is a skill that not every stylist has. And, sadly I've discovered the hard way that not every stylist that thinks they can cut curly hair actually can. In addition, I am currently interviewing for jobs, so I can't afford to have a bad hair cut. Its even trickier because I work in a male-dominated industry - so I can't have bad hair, but I can't look "over-styled" either. (Whatever that means, since its all relative. And yet I have to deal with it.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 07:37 PM  
cherimac

Funny thing is the worst cut I've EVER had was at a high end salon by the owner.
Old 03-18-15, 07:51 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Funny thing is the worst cut I've EVER had was at a high end salon by the owner.
Yeah, all those "they think they can cut curly hair, but actually cant" hairdressers I went to were at high end salons, upwards of $80 haircuts, and even listed and reviewed on naturallycurly.com!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 07:56 PM  
4leftlimbs

Quote:
I actually live in downtown Seattle. A community college in my neighborhood needs "guinea pigs" for its cosmetology trainees, so I might give them a try.
I used to get my haircuts at a training school affiliated with Aveda. They were really good, professional and CHEAP! They do take a lot longer than regular salons, though. The students would periodically check in with their supervisors to make sure they're doing a good job.

I wish I still live near that place! (There's a different school near where I currently live, but, while the haircut turned out fine, they were so unprofessional in how they operated, I decided the cheaper price wasn't worth it.)

I would love to be able to cut my own hair. But I don't think I'll even be able to cut the sides straight, let alone the back. I do trim my bangs between regular cuts, though.
4leftlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 08:27 PM  
DejaDeb

I've cut my own hair now for about ten years. It usually takes me an hour or more. It's not that I'm too cheap to pay for a cut, it's that I usually want a cut at 10:00 PM ... and I want it NOW!!!
Old 03-18-15, 08:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
I did find one interesting suggestion on the internet. If you're beginning with long hair and want a layered look, comb your hair over your forehead, tie it in a pony tail, and cut across the width of the tail. If I decide to let my hair grow again, I think I'll try this.
I've actually seen this suggestion before, and I used to do this sometimes. I think it's actually easier to cut your own hair when it's a bit longer (past shoulder length). When my hair was longer and either one length or a few basic layers, I did trim it myself occasionally, but I would still go to a stylist to have it shaped periodically; I think that's important.

I don't like to pay a lot for my hair either. I recently was going to Supercuts for about 2-3 years and was perfectly happy--the haircuts were only $12 (cheaper with coupons), and it was quick. But there is a turnover in stylists, and several that I liked left, so I got frustrated with changing. This past year, I started going to a new salon that I like a lot. They charge a range of prices depending on who you see--the stylist I see is $25, there are some who are $30, $35, $49...all the way up to the owner, who is $59. (I actually lucked out and had the owner cut my hair for $25 today b/c my regular stylist had to cancel.)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 05:42 AM  
jackie7

I use the creaclip and it works well!
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 08:31 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I had been seeing one of the most exclusive stylists in Tucson and paying exorbitant amounts of money for a cut and a single color when I came home on day with the worst cut ever. He had been distracted, several times during my cut, conversations with other stylists.

I was in shock and furious. I had to fly out for some consulting work the next day, and my haircut was impossibly freakish. I did a quick google search for salons, and the closest was a Supercuts. I called them and told them I had just gotten a horrible haircut and needed someone to fix it. The woman on the line said, 'Come on down. I'll see what I can do, and if you hate it, it's free.' She became my stylist until I retired and moved. She was also the manager.

When I moved out here in the middle of nowhere, I knew I would stop coloring my hair, so I did another google search and found a Great Clips fairly close. I'm in love with my stylist. She gave me such a great cut while my color grew out that I didn't bother trying to hide the weird two-tone. I took in some pictures of Ellen Burstyn, and now I have this

The haircut is 12 dollars. I always give her a 5$ bill and add 3$ to the tip line because she gives me a better haircut than that exclusive Tucson stylist who charged 10Xs as much as Great Clips.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 10:06 AM  
ADoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie7 View Post
I use the creaclip and it works well!
I've used that one too. There are YouTube clips that you can see how it's used. I bought mine at Amazon.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 03:14 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb View Post
I've cut my own hair now for about ten years. It usually takes me an hour or more. It's not that I'm too cheap to pay for a cut, it's that I usually want a cut at 10:00 PM ... and I want it NOW!!!
LOL, Debbie--I'm the same way! An hour after I saw Downton's Lady Mary with her bob, I was in front of the mirror, snip-snip-snipping, and 6 inches of hair was in the waste basket. Is your hair short or long?

Thank you to those who recommended the creaclip--looks like a must-have tool for self-cuts, especially for medium-length or long hair. I'll most likely let my hair grow again, but for now, I'm enjoying the wind on my bare neck for the first time in 40+ years.

Demeris, that Ellen Burstyn cut is stunning! (So is Ellen.) I'll check if there are Great Clips salons in Seattle--and what their rates are here.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair